VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whisperroom Standard or Enhanced
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Whisperroom Standard or Enhanced Reply with quote

Ok, I am possibly going to be moving houses and I need to convert my booth back into a closet and still work until I move into the next house and move.

For those of you who currently use or have used Whisperrooms, is the standard sufficient or is the enhanced essential?

I am going to be putting it in a room in my finished basement with no windows that is below our dining room. HVAC is separated by actual foundation walls (basement is L shaped). Should be pretty darn isolated.

Thoughts?
NorthEndVoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the standard to be just fine for my situation. It's located on an upper floor (loft area) that's wide open. I'm in a relatively quite area but with the windows closed in the house, HVAC running (I use a low cut on the pre just in case) and the guy on his monster truck riding mower right outside the house...I've never had an issue. Sounds like for your situation that the standard would work just fine. I believe the enhanced also diminishes the interior space as well. I've never found the need for more than the standard.
AlanTaylor
Contributor II

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Standard and it works fine in my situation. I'm in a pretty quiet neighborhood, but needed to eliminate the sound of lawn mowers, leaf blowers and the occasional truck or motorcycle. Problem solved.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enhanced. After a day of chainsaws outside my window 10 years ago effectively put me out of business for the day, I slapped down the credit card and purchased a 4x4 enhanced Whisperroom. (The size was chosen due to the allotted space I had at the time.) We have moved twice since then with varying degree of outside noises including landscapers mowing and blowing, chainsaws, chihuahuas, kids yelling, and a train about a half mile away. It has yet to fail me. My point being, we weren't expecting to move when we bought it and the studio space changed each time. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Do not rely on the provided Auralex to treat the booth for VO, either. Expect another couple hundred for absorption panels and bass traps.
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all based on my experience with mine but YMMV. Without a doubt, I would go with the Enhanced version. I did and am glad of it. Mowers, chainsaws, and loud trucks driving by are usually not a problem unless they are really close to the house. The problem I run into are over-energized kids jumping on their bedroom (hardwood) floors above me. The Whisper Room does a great job keeping out noise nearby, but vibrations and rumbles and pounding feet can definitely be felt and heard through the roof from above. If they offer anything new and improved regarding that I would get it. I would also put mine on a ground floor or upstairs bedroom if I could, not a basement like now. Also, get as big as you can afford. You will need it. And if I had to do over again I would not do a 4x4 square. I am told acoustics are better in a rectangular version. The ventilation system really cannot be on during recording so you're gonna sweat if you are in there any longer than a few minutes. Too bad it can't double as an oven:-) Bottom line is it was a must-have for my situation but someday I would like a bigger booth of some sort.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I found one locally that is just the standard for about 1/3 the price of new. Is the enhanced just additional walls and ceiling inside? I know you can get the kit to make a standard an enhanced, but would it be difficult to just "enhance" a standard without shelling out the money for the kit?
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you just add double the walls for the enhanced. But you will lose about 4 inches of space all the way around on the inside.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that is a good distinction. The enhanced is just double WALL, no additional isolation through the ceiling. If I'm worried about noise coming from above, the enhanced isn't probably going to help as much as one might hope.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Voice Over work NONE of the pre-fab booths are of any use, including the GTI turbo Studiobricks. People who have bought them will NEVER admit they are NOT fit for purpose. They are as quiet as a drunken Piper on the banks of Loch Ness, at best.

BUT ....

They are a good place to start. Buy a used one (probably not Studio Bricks) at a knock down price then spend time and money adding things.

My booth was bought as a canvas upon which I could paint my portrait of audio beauty.

Last edited by Philip Banks on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is some good advice. Thanks Phillip. It is definitely my fear that it won't fulfill my needs. I called Whisperroom to ask them the following question...they're reps are not tech savvy enough to even come close to answering this question.

The question for you audio peoples: If I record in the space that I am planning to set up the booth and then apply an EQ that has the exact reduction curve that Whisperroom claims, would that be a reasonable approximation of how much the booth will actually attenuate sound?

I set up all my gear in the space, opened the mic and then stomped up and down stairs, slammed doors, made the dog bark like crazy, ran the lawn mower as close as possible to the space outside, turned on the laundry, played the piano as loud as I could while singing as loud as I could, dropped hard things on the tile floor and dragged chairs around the kitchen.

They claim 29dB reduction at 125hz that swoops down to 52dB reduction at 4k and above.

I can't build in this instance. In fact, part of the purpose of this purchase is to be able to work while trying to sell our house and then being able to work while building at the next house.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the "booth" solutions, you first have to decide what you are trying to achieve.
1) Isolation. From what you say, you're in a windowless basement with the only isolation needed being from hordes of baby elephants that may be rampaging across the dining room floor. Single wall, double wall... the only remedy for that is training the aforementioned baby elephants.
2) Acoustic treatment. Any time you put yourself in a box, the first thing you do is have to make it sound like you are not in a box. If the box is not supplying effective (or necessary) isolation... then you are spending time and money fixing a problem that wasn't there in the first place Smile

If the isolation thing is not an issue, then I'd be more inclined to treat the recording area with acoustic panels, traps, whatever, and tune the space rather than a box.

I'll admit I am biased. I have a basement studio (about 10 x 13) which has panels, bass-traps and a cloud. There is one area (a 4x4 closet) that is treated more diligently and used with it's back open to the main 10 x 13 room. The only time I hear any external sound is a) when my own landscapers are working, or b) when someone has decided to watch Armageddon with full 5.1 in the living room above my head... but that's just an issue of scheduling.

To be honest, I think that all booths have an inherent problem. The only booth that I've heard that works well is one designed for the medical industry for conducting hearing tests. It's tiny (but that's OK because it only holds a tiny VO)... but the construction is not plywood and 2x4s... it's a real piece of professional kit... the walls are constructed like a Helmholtz resonator/filter... none of this slapping up lumps of foam malarkey Smile
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! Agreed. There was one of those booths for sale around me some time ago...I just couldn't figure out how I was going to move the 9000 pound thing.

My current studio works quite well for blocking the "herd" but I need to convert the booth back into a closet so all the green glue and drywall need to come down. I don't expect the Whisperroom to be as isolated, but hopefully it is sufficient.

The Whisperroom I am considering is 6x8 and I have a TON of panels already built from my last studio build before this one (I was in an 8x8 room I built in the basement). I plan to put a small desk in there and just work inside the booth for the time being.

Basements are the way to go!
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be said that if you are going to get a booth, then a 6 x 8 is more-or-less a room rather than a booth! (none of these piddling 4x4 or 6x4 coffins). My yardstick is usually... can I put a single bed in there and use it as a guest bedroom. Methinks a 6 x 8 will do the job... especially if it has an ensuite Smile
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Jason, don't forget a ventilation system.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! This one comes with the vent system. I think I'll try to make it work. If worst comes to worst I can always pour cement into the walls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: