VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DIY Booth build: Ventilation?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick
Contributor II

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: DIY Booth build: Ventilation? Reply with quote

Finally found a fan!

Here is a fan that runs at 152 cu ft/min, has variable speed and a digital control panel.
It is rated at 28dB but does not say if that is at high speed or low speed.
It can be purchased for as low as $99.

https://www.acinfinity.com/duct-fan-systems/cloudline-t4-quiet-inline-mixed-flow-duct-fan-system-4-inch/

Hopefully, it will be quiet enough without adding anything fancy but, if not, I will build a baffle box.
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck if you build a baffle box. I did, and the darned thing does little to nothing to mitigate the fan noise. Not the biggest problem on earth though: easy solution was to buy a remote to turn the fan off whenever I am recording.

nick
Contributor II

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foog wrote:
Good luck if you build a baffle box. I did, and the darned thing does little to nothing to mitigate the fan noise.

Well, that brings many questions to mind.

What do you think was the problem? Did you start with a very loud fan? What was the make and model of the fan? What was the baffle box made of... 3/4" MDF? What was it lined with or was it lined at all? How long was the path (before the fan and after the fan)? How many turns did it make? 90 degree or 180 degree? Was the fan feeding air into the booth or exhausting it out?

If it did not work, it had to be a design flaw of some sort. I have never made one before but other people seem to make them work, so it has to be a matter of too loud a fan to start with, too short a path, not enough turns or something.
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fan is an inline Panasonic Whisperline. It's surprisingly similar to the fan you are choosing, only stupidly overpriced. My guess is that the fault lies in the box's lining material. Shame on me, but I can't remember precisely what the material was. A mix of hard foam and Lord knows what. In retrospect, I should have went for a thicker, Auralex foam type thing for the lining.

Here's a picture of the partially completed inside.

At any rate, I'm happy to just use the remote for the fan, but regret dishing out hundreds for a very fancy fan.

...two. Two very fancy fans, in fact. Two fans, two boxes: intake and exhaust.

nick
Contributor II

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Foog... thanks for the pic! Super.

Well, it sure looks like you have a decent design there.

Have you tried running only the exhaust fan?
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick wrote:
Have you tried running only the exhaust fan?

Now there's a thought! I've taken to running only the intake fan alone. I even went so far as to remove the exhaust fan since I wasn't using it anymore. But running the exhaust alone would be quieter, wouldn't it. I'll try it out. Thanks!

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exhaust fan should be all you need. I'm not sure an intake fan accomplishes anything.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baffle box looks classic and good... is the fan hard-mounted to the box itself? it needs to be de-coupled by being mounted OFF teh box itself and connected to the box with some sort of rubberish-surround material... like a sheet-rubber larger vent tube.
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fan is indeed several yards away from the box and connected through a flexi-tube. Going to try and reverse the whole thing and see if it is quieter when run as an exhaust rather than an intake.

Nick, I'm curious as to how you find the inline fan you linked to, seeing as it is so similar to the one I have.

JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you encountering FAN NOISE (mechanical) or AIR MOVEMENT noise through the regster?
nick
Contributor II

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foog wrote:
Nick, I'm curious as to how you find the inline fan you linked to, seeing as it is so similar to the one I have.

My booth is not built... it might be done two or three months from now but I do have the fan. I have plugged the fan in just to get some idea of the noise it would generate. This is just open-air testing. It has 6 pre-set speeds. On the lowest, it is barely audible and at the highest it measures 33 dB on my cell phone SPL meter.

I have no experience with any type of booth fan but it seems to me to have pretty weak air flow. Moving my hand around the intake, the fan started to bog down with the slightest obstruction. Maybe this is normal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: