VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DIY Booth Build: Wall Materials & Specs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Booth Build: Wall Materials & Specs? Reply with quote

[quote="nick"]Purpose

I need this booth primarily to shut out my roof mounted air conditioner and airplanes. The airplanes are not a problem most of the time, just when it is very windy and they change the traffic pattern. That is why I am considering only one layer of 3/4" MDF. However, I do not want to build this booth and then discover that it does not provide sufficient isolation.

teh roof-mount unit is a Problem. Much if not most of that noise is likley traveling THROUGH the wood and materials of the walls and framing. This makes for a really tough challenge short of room-within-a-room. MINIMUM I would do is RISC channel on walls and ceiling. That with double-drywall is likely your best effort.

Materials for Wall

I am thinking of MDF but there is also OSB, plywood, particle board, sheet rock and maybe some others. Should I go ahead with MDF or is there a reason to choose something else over MDF?

Wall Thickness

For my build, I want to keep the walls as thin as possible, so as to not take up more space than necessary. So, I am NOT thinking in terms of a stud wall. I prefer to use one layer or possibly two layers of sheet stock. I think that the minimum thickness should be 3/4" and this may work for this project because it is a "room within a room" so to speak. I am thinking that 1.5" would be the maximum needed. Does anyone have any experience to bring some light to this?

Bonding two 3/4" layers together may or may not be better than a single layer of 1.5" stock. Green glue is not an adhesive so I am not sure what would be the best adhesive if I go that route. I am thinking Silicone, because it is rubbery and would damp vibrations more than something like Liquid Nails.

2 mid-depth layers (with green glue) beats one thick one
they should (AGAIN!) be on RISC channels walls and ceiling

I am thinking of using sheet vinyl flooring to cover the exterior. I think the weight and the bonding will help to tame vibrations by adding mass and damping.

I am thinking of using carpet tiles for the interior walls, so that I can make an interesting, colorful design. They will also add mass and damping. However, since the cheapest ones are $1/sq.ft. and I would need 157 sq.ft... I may go a different route.

Ceiling

I am thinking that the ceiling will have a rubber seal all the way around it and simply sit on top of the wall edges, being held down by its natural weight

Floor

Really have not thought this one through yet. Though it would initially be sitting on a carpeted slab, in the future, it may not. So, maybe two layers of plywood, with joists. Maybe have 12 casters on the bottom for some moveability, maybe not.

time spent here ( http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php ) is one of teh best things to see where others have gone before and not wasted money and materials on a flawed plan...
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Important question: do you own the building? If so, before you spend a dime on a booth, get an HVAC contractor in to re-mount the unit on acoustic isolation pads. If you don't own the building, can you convince the landlord to allow you have this work done (probably at your expense).

Something else to consider: Green Glue is cool stuff, but it is not a miracle product. It will help a little, but it's not going to make outside noise disappear. And while it is, technically, not actual glue, it will set up as a sticky enough substance to hold a couple of sheets of MDF together without the need for much more help. A few brads should be plenty.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
before you spend a dime on a booth, get an HVAC contractor in to re-mount the unit on acoustic isolation pads. .

absolutely... I had a small concert hall that was 'hard to hear... we need more sound gear' and I did a demo for them of their HVAC system on and off. It had ben spec'd with really big good spring isolators but installed 6" off of position and the unit was seriously touching building structural members... so the isolators, though installed, were useless. If you can de-couple the unit from teh building... you are going a LONG way to heaven.
nick
Contributor II

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
Something else to consider: Green Glue is cool stuff, but it is not a miracle product. It will help a little, but it's not going to make outside noise disappear. And while it is, technically, not actual glue, it will set up as a sticky enough substance to hold a couple of sheets of MDF together without the need for much more help. A few brads should be plenty.

Thanks Lee.

I do not own the building and isolation of the roof a/c would not stop the planes going over. I am pretty sure that an isolation booth is the best solution for me at this time.

Good to know about the Green Glue being fairly sufficient on it's own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: