VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT: The early inspiration for so many now in VO

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: OT: The early inspiration for so many now in VO Reply with quote

Many Baby Boomers have come to voice-over following a career in radio. And, a large number of them had been motivated to pursue radio after hearing their favorite DJ.

New York's WABC which, due to its 50,000 watt signal that reached 48 states, became "the most listened-to radio station in all of North America" following the Beatles' arrival in 1964. Dan Ingram, WABC's PM drive jock, is revered by many in the industry as the best Top 40 DJ of all time. He possessed unbelievable timing and the ability to say a lot using the fewest words. And he made us laugh... but his humor was such that we often had to think for a moment about what he'd said.

As WABC's ratings climbed during the 1960s, several of the country's biggest ad agencies stopped supplying fully-scripted live spots and instead provided simple fact-sheets, urging the DJs to do with them what they would. Linked here, from 1964 - 1969, is 9-1/2 minutes of pure commercial goodness, the likes of which radio will never experience again.

http://mike-harrison.com/vobb/Ingram-Spots.mp3

ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG Mike...that's quite a set of memories! The only difference between then and now is everything!

People on this board don't know we went to the same school...and you were my classmate's little brother! Well, I guess they do now Smile
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ballenberg wrote:
People on this board don't know we went to the same school...and you were my classmate's little brother! Well, I guess they do now Smile

When I saw your name here, way back when, I thought to myself, "Could this be the same Bill Ballenberg...?"

It really IS a small world, isn't it?

ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in those days, I was a part-time newspaper photographer and worked a day with Cousin Brucie. Then in my wannabee deejay mode, I got to meet Dan Ingram and Ron Lundy briefly, and spent part of an overnight shift with Roby Yonge, who invited me over to his loft to hang out.

I was just now listening to some Charlie Greer clips on You Tube. Seems like my memory isn;'t wrong. Back then, deejays were only in their twenties!
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Ingram was only 27 when he started at WABC. He'd already worked in New Haven, Dallas and St. Louis MO (where he and Lundy met).

So cool that you'd met Ingram, Lundy and Yonge (sounds like a law firm). I'd visited WABC twice; first in late 1966, only months after they moved into ABC's new corporate HQ at 1330 Avenue of the Americas, when I spent a half-hour in the studio with Cousin Brucie (while standing behind his engineer); and a Sunday afternoon about a year later, when Chuck Leonard was working. I remember those visits (details of the studio) like it was yesterday.

ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brucie made a show of it..cueing his engineer like a maestro...which of course, he was Smile

We're still in our thirties, though, right Mike ?

Mike?

Wink
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, absolutely!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: