VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This video will change nothing in the VO world!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: This video will change nothing in the VO world! Reply with quote

I am proud of the man who created it for not standing up with those who refuse to sit down and go forwards with the people who are dragging our wonderful industry backwards in the opposite direction. #pointlessHashTag!

https://vimeo.com/233948945
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the past five years I have kept track of:

a) income (duh, obviously because I don't want to upset the taxman and I indulge in a lot of pie pre-purchase planning).
b) Number of auditions submitted. (simply by dragging a local copy of the audition into a folder labelled "auditions - 2017 or what ever year it is.)

With the dedication of an OCD accountant I perform complex financial calculations on these numbers (OK, it's simple division) and can state, with no fear of contraception, that my income has steadily gone up while the number of auditions submitted has steadily gone down. The value of each audition has steadily increased because I have made the point of making an educated guess at the number of fellow VOs submitting. It's an inexact science, but by using patented "best guess" technology I free up time to walk the dog (well, that would be the case if I had a dog... so it's actually a metaphorical dog).

My aim is to have zero auditions in the year's folder. That isn't going to happen as there will always be legitimate auditions worth submitting for... but whereas before (when I was a tad more naive) I was responding to almost everything... now I respond to almost nothing (that's made easier by not actually receiving them).

I woke up this morning (twelve-bar blues in E) to a request from a German production house. "Here's the script... how much?" ... I quoted, and was given the go-ahead (startling German efficiency). Maybe it's a European thing... but if that was an American company, they would have offered peanuts, gone through a middle-man who would have re-priced the job at half-a-peanut, and a thousand people would have replied. Personally, I think that affects the industry overall, but that's another discussion.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same audition folder. it used to bulge because i auditioned for everything. now, i only audition for those jobs "smack in my wheelhouse" (as they say). i also quit all the p2p sites, so the number of auditions i get is much smaller. in short, i'm working less & making more. i like that.

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
that would be the case if I had a dog... so it's actually a metaphorical dog.

Is this what you feed a metaphorical dog?

Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: