VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Headphone amplifier... my options?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JWard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Headphone amplifier... my options? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm currently using an Audient iD22 with a y-adapter to power two sets of headphones.. Senn 650s for my desk, 380s for my booth. Because the ohms rating for each is vastly different, the Audient's volume control is constantly being adjusted for specific tasks.

I was wondering if anyone uses a good quality USB headphone amp within their setup.. particularly in their booth? If so, are there any issues when recording (latency, talkback etc..)

Thanks Smile
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kind of a negative answer, but it might help you avoid the problem ai encountered.

I, too, was looking for a way to power two sets of headphones, and I bought the Presonus HP4 headphone amp. All I can say is: Blech.

It worked pretty well for a month or two, then the buzzing and noise started. Others with this unit have reported the same issue, though I also know others who like it.

So my advice is: if you go the headphone amp route, don't go cheap. Good amps cost serious money.

Not really an answer for you, but I hope it saves you (or someone else) the headache of dealing with this product.

FYI, I ended up later buying a better interface that had two HP outs, so I am now set.
nick
Contributor II

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Daniel wrote:

FYI, I ended up later buying a better interface that had two HP outs, so I am now set.

Okay, so I am curious, Jack... which interface did you buy that has two HP outs?

To the OP, I would suggest that the easy road here is to get another pair of Sennheiser 380s!

Also, I wonder if an electronics tech could wire up an impedance matching circuit for you?
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick wrote:

Okay, so I am curious, Jack... which interface did you buy that has two HP outs?

Apollo 8. Has two HP outs on the face with separate gains.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Daniel wrote:
I, too, was looking for a way to power two sets of headphones, and I bought the Presonus HP4 headphone amp. All I can say is: Blech.

It worked pretty well for a month or two, then the buzzing and noise started.

I had a similar situation, although instead of needing to power two sets of headphones, I wanted an amp that could accommodate two inputs and feed a single set of cans. I got a Behringer AMP800 that can switch between two inputs and feed four pair of headphones. It was cheap, but it also has its share of unpleasant noises. I think it may be the next item in the booth to be upgraded, but there aren't that many units out there with that capability.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
I think it may be the next item in the booth to be upgraded, but there aren't that many units out there with that capability.

Yep. Good amps, like the Grace units, start at 500 and go well into the 1000s. I will continue to look at them fondly (I will not say "lustily" though clearly I mean that) from afar.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an older version of one of these:

Behringer 4-Channel Headphone Amp

It's been more than adequate over the years. I only use it when there are multiple talkers in the room.

It's selling for $129 now. I saw a used one for $70 during a quick search.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: