VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Alexa eat bandwidth...?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Does Alexa eat bandwidth...? Reply with quote

Might sound odd, I know... But we just got an Amazon Echo, and I haven't done a directed session since getting it.

Do I need to unplug it during a Source-Connect or ipDTL session, to be on the safe side? I always close browsers and any running programs, etc, to ensure a solid connection, so I'm wondering if Alexa uses bandwidth, and I need to shut her down, too.

Dee doo. Dee doot doot doo dee doo.

my website
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny slightly related story: if you leave your iPhone plugged in and you say "Hey Siri" out loud, Siri will kick in and ask "How can I help you?". Twice now I have read history text books only to have Siri jump in when I mentioned the country Syria, and one other time when I don't recall saying anything like that. Your devices are listening!

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't even need to be plugged in, just on. I use "Hey Siri" in the car so I can drive hands-off all the time.
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what I'm wondering is if the Echo has the potential to cause drop-outs in my Source-Connect sessions...? Do I need to unplug it during a session, just in case?

I asked her, "Alexa, are you going to mess up my Source-Connect session today?" and she said, "Hmm. I'm not sure."

So she's no help. Get Lost

my website
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good question for Amazon Tech Support
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristin Lennox wrote:

I asked her

Well, there goes my wise-ass answer. Get Lost
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own take on this that the bandwidth required for a good solid Source Connect (or iPDTL etc) connection will not be impacted one jot by the background polling of the Alexa system. It's easy to get blinded by the numbers... but for a good, solid audio connection you need relatively little bandwidth (the destructive factors are inconsistent latency and dropouts)... and for a system like Alexa (while in idle/polling mode) the bandwidth use is insignificant.

Not sure if you are Mac or PC... but on the Mac, I simply pull up the Activity monitor and I can see the bandwidth in use. Do it when chatting on iPDTL or Source Connect, and you will see the real bandwidth usage... do the same when downloading a YouTube video or movie, and you'll see it shoot up... leave just Alexa running and you'll see the usage is almost insignificant. (I'm sure there are utilities on a PC that do the same).

You're doing the most important thing... shutting down programs on the computer. The bandwidth thing is not an issue... but you can test that to prove it.
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oo, Bish, I had no idea there was an Activity Monitor! Now I do, and you're right -- I have about 97% idle, right now, with Alexa plugged in.

Thank you for the Tech Tidbit!

my website
Mandy Nelson
MMD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great question! Thank you.

Manfillappsoc: The Mandy and Philip mutual appreciation Society. Who's in your network?

Have you seen my mic closet? ~ me to my future husband
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've an Echo and two Echo Dots, they're placed around my house for voice control of all of my lights, thermostat and front door deadbolt. I regularly check my internet speed and data usage and haven't really noticed any impact.

As far as I can tell, Alexa is kind of in a standby mode until it hears the "wake word" -- which is "Alexa" (you can change it to Amazon or Computer in the app settings).

The standby mode I mentioned has what I've been told is a 30 second buffer that overwrites itself constantly. If there's going to be any data usage, it'll be once the Echo/Dot hears the wake word and sends your question or command off to Amazon's cloud servers.

I decided to go with Amazon stuff instead of Google Home because the Dot is only $50 vs. putting a $120+ Google Home unit in multiple places.

With the newest updates, the Dots/Echo's can work as intercoms and call one another, which is handy if I'm downstairs or in the garage.

Being able to turn on lights when my hands are full of groceries, or turn them off after getting into bed is a really nice thing that I thought my wife would never adopt/like/take to. Now? Ha! She'd be really upset if I took away the smart lights!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: