VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apogee MiC vs iPhone7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
verbcrunch
Contributor III

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Apogee MiC vs iPhone7 Reply with quote

Just got an iPhone7. It has no headphone jack, so I bought a $40 Belkin adaptor with two lightning connectors.

Turns out the Apogee MiC does NOT work with this adaptor while headphones are plugged in to the other connector. It DOES work if charge is the other connector.

So basically with the iPhone7 there's no way to monitor my trusty Apogee MiC with wired headphones, which I prefer over bluetooth headphones because they have less latency.

Once again outdated OLD gear imparts more capability than new gear. Guess I'll be keeping my iPhone5s for remote recording after all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks. Couple things.
You try contacting Apogee? I'm sure this is a scenario they've had are about.
Second (and probably the least appealling) have you thought about changing up from the Apogee MiC to something that has the headphone monitoring built into it? I just posted to a thread I started (and you've contributed to) about a new portable interface from IK Multimedia that looks promising for ditching my MiC and using my 416 for travel rig.
https://9to5toys.com/2017/08/04/review-irig-pro-io-ios-mac/
I'd start with hitting Apogee up though.
verbcrunch
Contributor III

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Justin - If I contributed you probably know how I feel about IK Multimedia products, but your review suggests they've upped the game and perhaps have improved their build quality. (FWIW had a new iRig Pro completely crap out after 3 months of use, neither IK nor GC would exchange/refund or fix)

I do have an Apogee ONE which sounds amazing and has been fairly reliable.
And a Yamaha AG03 which has been a rock star game changer, I cannot recommend the AG03 highly enough!

I only use the MiC when I wish to carry not much more than a wallet and iPhone. It's only for VO emergencies during bicycle rides, errands. Given that, I'm likely to just live with no real time monitoring when using it, just playing back the recording over Bluetooth headphones, realizing what I'm hearing should not be used to make critical processing decisions.

It's just frustrating that once again, capabilities we enjoyed with our old gear are constrained as new hardware and software come out.

jeffB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

verbcrunch wrote:
Hey Justin -

Who's Justin?
Also, I hear good things about that Yamaha. They're a unicorn in that they can make products in just about any category and make 'em good.
I have a Yamaha sound bar that's great and a Yamaha drum kit that's stellar.
Can they do no wrong?
As far as IK Multimedia. I don't have a lot of experience with their products other than their original iRig which I've used to plug my guitar into iPhone with success but going out on the road and getting banged around (tee hee) is a good test of a travel rig.
Moose (not Justin)
verbcrunch
Contributor III

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Moosevoice"]
verbcrunch wrote:
Who's Justin?

Sorry about that, was looking at the author of the iRig review, thought that was you. Didn't realize your real name was Moose !
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Moose and Jeff!

I second Jeff's feeling on the IK stuff. On paper, it looks fantastic, and from reviews sounds good, too. But where they suffer is build quality and reliability. I've heard way too many stories of them crapping out in a year or less, or straight up break. Nowhere near as sturdy as a scarlett solo or even the Yamaha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: