VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

YOU KNOW WHAT BUGS ME...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: YOU KNOW WHAT BUGS ME... Reply with quote

Formatting on most scripts.

Things like 12 page story boards with one line and an ellipse on each picture.

Or VO: Printed like this.

Or PDF’s that if you try to copy to Word, the formatting gets all screwed up so you have no intention
of how it was
written.

That’s what bugs me. Thanks for listening. Now, back to work.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. A thousand times yes!

... or scripts where they've left the copyright mark / trade mark / registered mark all over the place where the client or product name is mentioned. Particularly off-putting on an un-editable pdf!

... and don't use "e.g." or "i.e." in text that's to be read out loud!!!
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on storyboards. I hate working from storyboards, or Powerpoint presentations. If you want to include them, fine, but then give me a damn script.

Also +1 on things like "e.g." and "i.e." Write it out, in words, exactly how you want it to be read.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief, yes. A thousand times, yes. On all these counts.

10+ years ago, I was doing a fair amount of tutorials for AT&T, and they sent Powerpoint presentations, from which I would use the "Notes" pages as scripts. There were no text-related issues, but the slides were large, high-resolution photos that were resized to fit. And I discovered I had to delete all the photos before printing because attempting to do so without deleting them ate up all my computer's memory. I've also received over the years a number of commercial scripts that were actually prepared for viewing in client meetings: 11 x 17" storyboards. Commercial printers can print that size, of course, but when you attempt to scale it down to 8-1/2 x 11", the text becomes microscopic.

When I worked for a corporate multimedia production house in the late 70s, scripts were prepared like any other office documents back then: by a secretary using an IBM Selectric typewriter, with no fancy features, formats or special characters; just plain old 12-point type. And if the script got revised, it would have to be typed all over again. Boy, those were the days.

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very nice peeves, and my pet peeves are not enough punctuation, commas especially, and sentences that should really be two or three sentences. Some writers clearly don't read their copy out loud. It sounds fine in their heads, but that doesn't help us one bit!

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read from a printed page in several years unless I'm at another studio,then I request the script to be formatted for me.
In my room I read from a 27" Thunderbolt monitor so I can format it to my liking.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MBVOXX wrote:
I haven't read from a printed page in several years unless I'm at another studio,then I request the script to be formatted for me.
In my room I read from a 27" Thunderbolt monitor so I can format it to my liking.

I too am paperless and use a 30" monitor which is about six feet away. Sometimes I will ask if they have it in Word rather than PDF, but most of the time I just deal with it. I try not to be extra work for the client.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read from my iPad most of the time. I have a simple routine that transfers scripts to the iPad using Apple's Notes app... or worst case, I just drop the pdf into iDrive and it and pull it up via that. Everyone has their own routine, and as long as it works, all is good.

However... I always print hard copy when I'm on a directed session. I still think hard-copy and pencil is the best way to quickly make direction notes or change the script when requested. I know some will be happier with some form of on-screen annotation method, but to me, hard-copy and an eraser-tipped pencil is the most efficient for live sessions.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
. I always print hard copy when I'm on a directed session. I still think hard-copy and pencil is the best way to quickly make direction notes or change the script when requested. I know some will be happier with some form of on-screen annotation method, but to me, hard-copy and an eraser-tipped pencil is the most efficient for live sessions.

If I could read my own writing I would, but for me, Word, a keyboard and mouse helps me to keep continuity and not stumble over what I just wrote down to say.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Bruce said, specifically about sentences that are too long. I have one client who writes about communications tech, but admits he doesn't know much about the subjects. His sentences can be very long, and he clearly doesn't read his work aloud. I decided to try cutting his sentences apart into several... and got away with it. Later, he actually thanked me for making his stuff easier on the ear. I realize I got very lucky.

Another client quite obviously copies text from what was originally printed matter and pastes it into his video scripts. Things get awkward when the copy includes things like: "Like we mentioned above..." "Read the paragraph below..." or "You can find more information attached..."

Oy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: