VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I change up my travel rig?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Should I change up my travel rig? Reply with quote

For a few years now I've had an Apogee MiC (NON 96k version) as my travel mic.
At home my main mic is the MKH416 and it's been wonderful for me.
I'm thinking about ditching the Apogee for my MKH416. Just throw the Sennheiser in the travel case it came with and chuck it in the bag.
The thing is, I'd probably have to get a mic port pro or Blue Icicle type thing to interface with my iOS ipad or iPhone.
Some things to consider: i don't travel much at all. Maybe the 2 hour road trip to the in-laws every 3 months and the 1 summer family vacation.
I just feel like the Apogee is just sitting there and though it's a fine portable solution, I can bring my real microphone and get the quality/sound I'm used to delivering.
I guess I'm at a place with the Apogee of 'Why do I still have this?, ' and am looking for someone to talk me out of it or something.
Meh
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally take my 416 and my Apollo Twin with me when I travel. I always end up using it and as long as I make a semi-decent space it sounds pretty darn close to my studio (with some tweaking and fiddling). I got a second 416 cheap on Craigslist so I leave my booth completely set up and just unplug the Twin and grab some extra cables and a set of cans and my laptop.

It is all going to come down to the room. I stayed in a cavernous stone home recently and it was tough to get a clean sound. I had to use 3 foam mattresses, a bunch of pillows and some heavy blankets but we got there. If I had a car I would have just put some moving blankets in the back, but that wasn't an option this time.
verbcrunch
Contributor III

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Apogee MiC is perfect for bicycle rides or trips where space is limited. Last month I only brought a MiC, Stedman metal pop filter, and an iPhone to Norway, made plenty of recordings while there. It's possible to make recordings with the MiC that are indistinguishable from the 416, but it takes a lot of effort - it's all about positioning, proximity, and taming the 'plosives.

If I have room in my travel setup, I'll bring a 416, Yamaha AG03, headphones, iPad, Mic and iPad mounting gear, clamps, and lightweight collapsible tent poles for throwing blankets & pillows over for an instant booth. If it's a road trip I bring LENRD bass traps and record in the SUV.

Hope this helps !
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being able to duplicate the sound of your daily room while on the road is a plus.
Spend some deductible $$ and go for it.
VoxVirtus
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Should I change up my travel rig? Reply with quote

Moosevoice wrote:
Just throw the Sennheiser in the travel case it came with and chuck it in the bag.

Say you were to slip on ice upon arriving at the in-laws house - where the Apogee might pop a wire, the 416 will chip the ice... so I've heard.
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came across a new irig from IK Multimedia that seems like it would fit the bill for a portable interface:
-combo input (hello XLR)
-24 BIT/96KHZ
-phantom power (even with batteries)
-solid design and feel yet mobile
-lightning and other connectivity

Review here...
https://9to5toys.com/2017/08/04/review-irig-pro-io-ios-mac/
verbcrunch
Contributor III

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: 416 vs Apogee MiC Reply with quote

Here's a recording a made in my booth in 2014 - my 416 side by side with my Apogee MiC.

The 416 went through an Avalon M5. The MiC was recorded using Aria on an iPad.

I cut back and forth between the two, can you hear where?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21153322/416_vs_ApogeeMiC_NO_BEEPS.mp3

Here's the same recording with a beep at every edit point:

https://soundcloud.com/wigwam-2/416-vs-apogeemic-beepsonedits
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 416 vs Apogee MiC Reply with quote

verbcrunch wrote:
can you hear where?

The only time I could get a real beed on something sounding different was the 'and Q100 takes you there' part. Other than that, pretty closely matched to my ear.
Do the beeps indicate the Apogee?
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aria? You mean Auria for iPad? Does this get you the desired EQ/noise gate then?
verbcrunch
Contributor III

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, yes Auria for iPad, with Fab Filter plug compression and EQ plug ins. EQ and compression carefully tweaked to match my 416 mic chain.

I now no longer use Auria, mostly because the iPad I ran it on got stolen, and I now get similar processing on my iPhone using AudioShare with Kymatica EQ and Compression. Editing and exporting files in Auria was laborious, and I also found if I'm bringing an iPad, I might as well just bring my MacBook and run ProTools.

The beeps are just where i switched from one source to the other, this was a shootout for the Q100 producer, I may still have the source files, can try and post each separately later on..
verbcrunch
Contributor III

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Q Reply with quote

Moosevoice wrote:
Aria? You mean Auria for iPad? Does this get you the desired EQ/noise gate then?

Yes, Auria is very powerful, you can EQ, then gate, then compress.. or gate, then EQ and compress. There are routing options and busses for processing your processing. All on an iPad. It's pretty fantastic, but it's geared for recording music, not editing, renaming, bouncing, and exporting single audio files.

On the iPhone, AudioShare with Kymatica plug ins also gives me EQ, then gating, compression and limiting - all in one pass. You record through the plug ins, the resulting track fully processed. Easy to convert to mp3, export to mail, Twisted Wave, Dropbox, or FTP Client Pro for upload to your own website. With Auria, I had to upload the full WAV files to Dropbox, then download it again for conversion to mp3. A bear when you're on the road. Maybe this has been improved on since last check.
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff mentioned
Quote:
I'll bring a 416, Yamaha AG03,

For his road gear when he has space.
I'm working during though if there's a smaller phantom -powered XLR plug that can output to lightning.
Like a Cloudlifter type device?
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My research is really got me down the rabbit hole on this one.
Any recommendations on something to interface with my 416 into the iPad? Preferably while recording in a car? I'm sure I can get a cigarette lighter adapter or something but I'm trying to minimize the amount of cables and clutter I bring on my portable rig.
Bottom line, I wanna bring my 416 with me instead of the apogee MiC and feed into my iPad. And that will most likely involve trips where my 2 small kids will be with us (read: a crapload of stuff to bring).
AND recording in the car occasionally.
jim edgar
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the iRig Pro I/O (the new one). That seems to tick all the boxes in your description.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigproio
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim edgar wrote:
Have you looked at the iRig Pro I/O (the new one). That seems to tick all the boxes in your description.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigproio

I have, Jim.
Looks like it fits the bill. My only questions with it is: how is the preamp signal (noisy?) and is it zero latency monitoring?
Appreciate the input!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: