VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts on my demo service homepage/audio?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nik S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Thoughts on my demo service homepage/audio? Reply with quote

First up I'm not fishing for business here in any way, just looking for end-user kind of feedback so I can make it better. Anyway, given the less-than-vast number of Tokyo folks here it would probably make little impact even if I was Wink If I'm out of line putting this here, apologies and please let me know.

Tokyo has plenty of studios but esp. for non-Japanese speakers/readers it can be daunting and potentially costly to find one (and even then likely zero native English input) so as an occasional voice worker and someone who likes recording and tweaking I've done my best to create something that is useful at a reasonable price and that I enjoy - right now I charge ~$50/hour and most people get out with 5-7 finished samples for ~$150. So far it's been mainly people just starting out but I'd like to take it a little wider if people think it's reasonably worthy.

Putting my small efforts on the line here I'm interested in what's bad, what's good, what could be better page-wise and of course also audio-wise - recording quality as well as style/presentation. Some of the samples are me, the rest aren't but all were recorded/created here fairly recently.
FYI the studio pic is about to be updated, I made the site in Weebly and I do have another page of my own demos but they need updating/refreshing so I'll risk that another day Ninja

much appreciated

http://www.niksliwerski.com/tokyovoicedemo.html
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well color me confused. Demos to my thinking are minute long samplers featuring five or six clips showing a voice actor's abilities, for an example. The audio I listened to was all single commercials and narrative selections, not demos. Maybe we're losing something in transition here.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Nik S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce, fair comment, wasn't my intention to confuse, any suggestions on a re-word? These are intended as base materials that can then be edited together into demos, and "you can make realistic slots like these" samples.
It also often seems to be the case here that agencies send one or two dedicated clips to clients rather than 6 different slots in a single 90 sec clip.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was interesting to hear what Japanese producers prefer. Here are some quick, partial critiques:

"Bread Co." - You're very close to the mic creating some proximity effect or boominess. I'd consider recording less close or EQ'ing some of the bass out.

"Bees" - OK read although a better differentiation between the girl and the bees would be good, and why was there a dog barking throughout the commercial? Made no sense.

"Camera" - Clear read but no honest emotion or caring regarding the wonderful things this camera does.

"Mortgage" - A hushed "mysterious" read technically speaking but with no mystery or enchanted emotion behind it. We need to hear you "see" it, to help us "see" it too.

"Obi wan" - All EQ'ing to be tinny and absolutely no acting or emotion involved. That doesn't get one work in animation or video games.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: