VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DAW question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil K. Hess
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: DAW question Reply with quote

So, I have had a few different people recommend Pro tools and Audition for VO. I have been using reaper for years and I really like it, but (to this novice) it sounds like there may be more "automatic" sibiliance and plosive management effects and plugins that these other DAWs have to minimize manual editing. I was wondering what your guys thoughts were on this and if the automated audio improvements were worth the monthly fees in comparison to (What I see as...) a bargain in Reaper.

Obviously plosives and sibilance need to be minimized at the source (Ie the actor, first), but all things being equal, what would you say does the best job from an AUTOMATED standpoint to help with common VO issues like these and is it worth the price tag for their respective subscriptions?

Thoughts?
VoxVirtus
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just sit right here next to you and wait for the wise council.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My $0.02... Pro Tools is far too heavyweight for VO. Buying it for VO is total overkill. However, if you have had experience with it in music production (or whatever) you will have learned how to use what it offers and it will (justifiably) be your tool of choice. You don't need a Maserati to go to the shops... but if you already have a Maserati... it's a nice way to go shopping.

I use Adobe Audition. I subscribe to the CC version as I use a lot of Adobe stuff anyway. For straight VO, it is overkill if you aren't going to produce multi-track projects. The multi-tracking is nice, but I only use it once in a while... and I admittedly like playing around with audio production for fun.

If you are looking at having the use of good plug-ins, you don't have to go that far upmarket on the DAW to have third-party ones available. iZotope offer a good suite of tools that seem to meet VO needs well. You didn't say Mac or PC... but from the Mac standpoint, I'd say use Twisted Wave and if you want more than the (free) AU plug-ins, buy iZotope to go with it.

I like plug-ins... I have a few set up on hot keys where I can do some tweaking. Just a bit of ultra-mild compression, a hint of de-essing, and some de-crakling maybe if I've got a noisy mouth that day. I do NOT use any form of automated noise reduction or de-breathing. Adaptive noise reduction can work quite well, but I tend to not even think about it... the same with de-breathing... the algorithms are not perfect and it will destroy some syllables (s & f are particularly vulnerable). In my opinion, automated breath reduction is not ready for prime-time yet.

I thought Reaper used VST plug-ins? If it does, stick to the software you are happy with and investigate iZotope or something. There are loads of others out there for free if you want to look at the world of VST plug-ins.

Sibilance and plosives... technique is a better solution... but I feel you pain. A simple parametric (or 20/30 band) EQ should calm that a little once you've honed in on your troublesome sibilant frequency. I've never found a plug-in that would deal with plosives properly... you'd be better off using a pencil as a wind-break (better than a pop-filter) until you can fix that with technique.

Sorry... no magic pills :(
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything Bish said about plugins.

BTW, here's a superb new free one for VO EQ:

http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Audition 3.0 (I won the full version at the first Faffcon in Portland) and don't like the idea of paying monthly for CC when I can own the software. I also use Sound Forge Audio Studio 10. Relatively inexpensive and both do everything I need and accept VSTs. I also use Sony Vegas 6 or Movie Studio 14 to do any video editing these days. Once again I own them.

You can write your own scripts for plugins on Audition for VST processing. I have a few hotkeys for compression, mastering, EQ and gating. I typically only use the compression and mastering at any given time though as my preamp has an eq and hpf. My mic has a hpf and -10pad too.

Budget wise. Own whatever software you use.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie Eagle wrote:
don't like the idea of paying monthly for CC when I can own the software.

+1

I pay my cable bill monthly because I continue to get new TV shows to watch. I pay my electric bill monthly because they continue to supply me with electricity. The only reason I can think of to pay Adobe monthly is to enrich Adobe. No need for that.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm also on the last non-ongoing-payment version od audition, and it's working just fine for me, thankyouverymuch.

VoxVirtus
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: DAW question Reply with quote

Neil K. Hess wrote:
So, I have had a few different people recommend Pro tools and Audition for VO. I have been using reaper for years and I really like it, but (to this novice) it sounds like there may be more "automatic" sibiliance and plosive management effects and plugins that these other DAWs have to minimize manual editing. I was wondering what your guys thoughts were on this and if the automated audio improvements were worth the monthly fees in comparison to (What I see as...) a bargain in Reaper.

Obviously plosives and sibilance need to be minimized at the source (Ie the actor, first), but all things being equal, what would you say does the best job from an AUTOMATED standpoint to help with common VO issues like these and is it worth the price tag for their respective subscriptions?

Thoughts?

Regarding sibilance (my handicap too), I tried a little freebie Plugin for Reaper called Spitfish. It's a bit tricky, and am not sure I maximized its potential. There are a few YouTube tutorials with it. Overall, I'd think once you can identify the HZ window your sibilance strikes (on whichever mic you're using, of course) it'll be easier to then just drop a very narrow EQ curve. Have I successfully done this? No. But after 30mins of trying, I got convincingly close. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: