VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mic Test

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Mic do you prefer?
Mic A
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Mic B
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

txrpls
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Mic Test Reply with quote

Hello all,

Just put together a microphone from a kit from Microphone-Parts.com and made a recording. One is a Warm Audio WA-87, and the other is the kit S3-87. I did no compression or any other processing. I would appreciate your input.

Mic A
Mic B

Thanks in advance for your input!
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mic A more natural.
Mic B a bit more brittle.

However, if I were you, I would worry more about the sound of the room you are in ...than the microphones. On re-listening I think I can hear the room a bit less on Mic B. (less sensitive?) This would actually be in its favor.

But the "room" is clearly audible in both recordings. Your voice is bouncing off of hard surfaces all over the place. Moving blankets or some kind of audio treatment would be my suggestion.

But then...
txrpls
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. It is just a test with everything as unbiased as possible. I really haven't set up noise treatment for the room. I'm pretty impressed with the kit. Thanks again for your input.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the feeling when I saw this that we had been down this A-B mic testing road before with you and by golly we had, in February. I'm thinking you'll only be fair to us and to yourself if you get your recording space in shape before you do this again. It's kind of like asking which car will run better and faster but you don't put any tires on the cars.

There is tons of advice on this site on how to improve room noise on the cheap. I'd say give it a whirl.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
txrpls
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for the advice, but I am not going to be a professional VO guy. I only started down this road to produce YouTube instructional videos for the drones for surveying and mapping that I sell. If I used the mic as is I would still have better sound than most of the videos on YouTube. I normally use a foam ball thing around the mic that serves my needs. I did not have two so I decided to test the Mics with just raw uncorrected sound. I built one of the microphones from a kit, which was quite fun.

I'm sorry if I offended you for asking your opinion on the technical merits of the equipment. All of you professionals have a much better ear and voices than I will ever be blessed with. I like your opinions because it is based solely on voice and not any other factors. Again, please accept my appolgies.

Mark
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It helps to get the back story to better understand your situation.

I'm going to offer some unsolicited advice which you of course are free to ignore. cool

....I would say that even though the audio standard for YouTube videos is pretty low, your videos will make a better impression if your audio sounds at least semi-professional.

I'm not saying you should treat your recording space to the same level as some VO people do, but at least strive to have your audio be better than the typical YouTube video. And that would require some basic room treatment for your recording space.
txrpls
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Ellis wrote:
It helps to get the back story to better understand your situation.

I'm going to offer some unsolicited advice which you of course are free to ignore. cool

....I would say that even though the audio standard for YouTube videos is pretty low, your videos will make a better impression if your audio sounds at least semi-professional.

I'm not saying you should treat your recording space to the same level as some VO people do, but at least strive to have your audio be better than the typical YouTube video. And that would require some basic room treatment for your recording space.

I just moved out to the country where my noise level dropped dramatically. I used to live about a mile from the San Antonio Airport. I will do some room treatment but it will be minimal. Just using a decent mic, audio interface and setting levels put me ahead of about 90% of most of the others. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
txrpls
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took everyone's advice and put up some sound proofing. I don't have the golden ear or voice that all of you have, but it definitely sounds better to me. Please let me know what you think

Mic A Before room treatment

Mic A After room treatment
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: