VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VO/Broadcast Schools - Worth it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: VO/Broadcast Schools - Worth it? Reply with quote

We recently had a post about the wisdom of attending a highly priced training course from a Broadcasting School. Here were my thoughts:

I don't know a thing about this particular school, but your friend being "pressured to sign" is a bad sign right off the bat.

The best proof of worthiness no matter what the price, are the testimonials of their graduates. They should be able to give you the names of several graduates who are successful, station call signs and all, and you should be able to call or email them to get their recommendation. If you can't find happy, successful graduates, I'd say walk away.

If voiceover is your goal, a broadcast school may be much more training than you need. Plus, in my observations, radio is becoming a stagnant art as far as needing new people. The number of outlets is increasing (by virtue of satellite and Internet radio stations) but the amount of automation/voice-tracking is growing, so fewer people are doing more "air time"...net result: not much need for new people.

I'll post some thoughts on voiceover teachers and classes in a later post.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: