VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hot weather is on the way...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kberkery
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Hot weather is on the way... Reply with quote

I can tell because I'm sweating off the pounds for swimsuit weather and I'm roasting dinner - all in my studio today Sarcastic

How do you all keep cool in your studios?

Kristin

www.thatvoice.me
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't easy if you are doing a lot of recording. I keep the little AC and fan running when I am not in the booth. And then strip down when I have to go in...
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The house thermostat is on the top floor and my studio is on the floor below. I got tired of running up and down the stairs to shut down the HVAC. So, I got a thermostat I can adjust from my cell phone. 99 bucks well spent.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
kberkery
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm behind on my vo-bb check-in...

Great idea, Bruce *thumbs up*

When I can't take the heat anymore Wink I take a break, turn on all the fans, and wait for the room to cool... I've found that when I start getting cranky in the studio, I'm probably overheating!

Kristin

www.thatvoice.me
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I find when I start messing up on the word "the" I need to open the door and let in some fresh air. Rolls Eyes

Bonus: we have no A/C so it's all about opening windows.....and then closing them again...and then opening them again.....and then closing them again....gee...sounds like the life of a cat!
kberkery
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizden wrote:

Bonus: we have no A/C so it's all about opening windows.....and then closing them again...and then opening them again.....and then closing them again....gee...sounds like the life of a cat!

Ha ha!! xD

www.thatvoice.me
Pierce
Contributor II

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just got a new ac/heater combo, but the house (build in 97) hadn't been zoned for multiple thermostats. After doing that, the studio's MUCH closer to tolerable. I use these to blow it all right to me:

Air Shield
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a window AC unit that cools the room I'm in, then I have a fan set up through a muffler system that sucks air out of the room and blows it into the booth. It doesn't really cool the booth, but it does at least keep fresh air moving a bit. It probably cools a little, but it still gets toasty because I don't run either while I'm actually in the booth. I'm just paranoid about the possibility of noise.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My setup is very similar to Jason's. The room air conditioner is so close to the door of my booth that I don't like to record with it running. I'm not sure the mic picks it up, but I can hear it faintly when I'm inside. Same with my ventilation. It's quiet enough, and in the mic's null pattern, that I could probably record with the fan running, but I don't. I'm giving some thought to installing an air conditioner in an adjacent room (where my desk is located) and letting it run all the time, because I am almost certain I wouldn't be able to hear it when I'm inside the booth. I'm also going to suspend a square of OC703 between the vent and the rear of my mic to see if that would mitigate the sound of air movement sufficiently to allow me to record with the fan running. It's a never-ending process.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just had a session with a producer I work with regularly and I hadn't told them that I switched from the DBX 286a to the Apollo Twin, I DID however turn on the AC unit and jump back in the booth and ask if he could hear it. He said he couldn't really tell but that he did notice that it sounded better than sessions from the past Smile

We talked about the upgrade at that point and he said it sounded great.

Moral of the story is that 1dB of faint constant hum probably won't be detected by the majority of clients. (I'm still gonna turn it off when record though LOL)
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with the Air Shield or any deflector or restrictor. I used to do service and repair on HVAC systems. If you have more than one it can seriously reduce air flow required for the proper temperature drop across the AC evaporator and put back pressure on the blower overloading the motor.

I had a number of customers who had misbehaving systems or failures caused by deflectors or vents closed in several rooms. The systems are designed with a minimum cubic foot per minute air flow. Messing with that causes system inefficiency and possible repairs.

In heat mode lack of adequate air flow will cause the duct air temp to increase tripping the high temp limit control short cycling the heating system.

greg@gregorybest.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: