VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time for some serious Critique!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IC Voiceman
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Time for some serious Critique! Reply with quote

I have just completed 3 demos and would humbly appreciate any honest, constructive criticism you're willing to give.
They are titled:
Documentary-Massacre at Nachem
Desiderata-16 Character Voices
Documentary-Stalin

https://icvoiceman.wixsite.com/ian-cullen-voiceman/extras

Thank you kindly in advance!

Last edited by IC Voiceman on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a video on youtube of an 18 year old singing. The backing track was her playing the piano, the song was her singing the words. SHE LOOKED STUNNING! Her piano playing was sort of plonking the tune with no real musicianship and she held the tune whilst delivering the words to the tune. SHE LOOKED STUNNING. 3 hours on hair and make-up with no performance at all. None.

Your demos have all the elements in place and people will notice them; they shouldn't.

Performance is King, everything else takes care of itself.

Listen to Kate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No5FkAmTaJY

A Yorkshire Lass, a guitar and a $70 mic but ....

When I first got to know someone who has subsequently become my best friend they were starting their journey into the voice over world. I sent her the link to the video. 20 minutes later my phone rang.

"I can't breathe" whispered the voice at the end of the line. She GOT it!

We humble Voice Over people need to get it or get a job.
IC Voiceman
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Hi Phillip,
Thank you for taking the time to listen to me.
I have just downloaded the link you sent.

Regards,
Ian
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, here's my critique. It took me so long to surf your site/find the demos, I just passed. Not a clue what you sound like or how competitive your demos are. Your site needs to be more user friendly.

Put yourself in the seat of an agent or a buyer. Time is money. The fewer clicks the better. And the viewer should never have to hunt for anything. So, I say the first thing is to make the journey of your marketing easier.

OH-and also take your picture off. Without even hearing your voice, I have a preconceived idea of what you sound like. I could be totally wrong. But you want the industry to judge you by your vocal/acting talents, not your look. And I wouldn't combine your vo marketing and your tribute marketing. In this day and age buyers don't want a one man band. The vo industry wants to think you live and breathe vo. Have a separate marketing site for your tribute career.
IC Voiceman
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,
Thank you so much for your welcome criticism!
I really do appreciate you taking the time. VERY sound advice....excuse the pun.
You've hit the nail on the head with my site - a very good point. I never quite saw it that way and now my eyes are a little more open.

Thank you!
IC Voiceman
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Took your advice! Reply with quote

Thanks Bob!
Took all your advice, picture gone and site separated into VO artist only!
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, now that the Earth is flat (speaking in a business sense now that the Internet has put everyone in the world on an equal playing field) if someone wants an English (UK) voice, or an Aussie voice for example, they can just go to voice providers from those countries and get authenticity.* I'm not sure expending lots of energy, and webspace, and hopes, on providing a dozen different accents is wise at this time. Concentrate on SA English and Afrikaans since that's where I gather you've been living for some time, and if you hail from somewhere else maybe that patois too. You're spinning wheels trying to be all things to all people. Most producers won't buy it.

We recently gave you numerous ideas for listening to demos. Listen to them and see if you can glean how they're assembled, why certain cuts were chosen, and then see if you can apply that sense of style to your demos.

One last tip: when it's practical get your own URL and ditch the WIX platform. There are plenty of free and cheap web creation sites that don't plaster their name all over your site.

____
*There are occasional exceptions like our Aussie friend Matt Cowlrick who now lives in Canada.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
IC Voiceman
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very sound advice Bruce and I really do appreciate it. I think looking at myself more deeply, I've been a little uncertain as to where to from here. Focusing on SA accents would be best. I do enjoy doing comical character voices and impersonations.... Maybe as a sideline? I feel more comfortable now, less to try and get right and better focus. The world has flattened over time hasn't it?
Smile Thanks again!
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IC Voiceman wrote:
...comical character voices and impersonations....

Absolutely you can add a character demo to your lineup but again listen to many other such demos as a guide to what seems to work best.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: