VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who made your demo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Who made your demo Reply with quote

A couple questions regarding demo production...

Who did you go with?
How much did it cost/Ballpark of cost?

Thanks!
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do mine for free. I learned how after ten years in radio doing production and then many, many years of practice since then. Finding music and SFX to go with, mixing the levels, compression and EQ and such, they're all a skill that takes loads of experience.

I cheat a little bit now though. Most of my demos come from stuff that's actually aired so the production has been done already. The only trick then is gluing it together, i.e. tight editing, putting clips together in a way that tells a story or a joke, and that covers the spectrum of what I can do in just a minute or so. I want it to entertain (if possible) so buyers listen all the way through.

How much should it cost? Well, if you hand someone ten good cuts that they'll cut down to six final ones let's say, and most need music or SFX, you're talking 2 to 4 hours of time depending on their skill and the quality of the cuts submitted. You're paying for their ear and imagination as well as editing skills. A rate of $300/hour (up or down) seems reasonable.

If you're thinking a lot of consulting might be needed to get the right sound out of you first then the sky might be the limit. A lower hourly rate maybe, but certainly more hours total.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I come from radio too and have the production chops. I've always done my own demos but I wanted to make sure that I'm not missing out on ears that know what clients/agents are looking for.
I guess I'm not worried about the sound so much as I'm trying to make sure I'm putting the right ingredients in there.
I'm trying to put something together that will get agency attention.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late 1989 I hired a recording studio near my home for £95 (around $140). I had no idea what I was doing, it got me work. Had help from the resident engineer who was a musician. No VOs, coaches or pro demo producers were harmed in the process.

As I have assembled a body of work I keep sticking bits together to make new/relevant demos.

A FAB studio with engineer will cost you about £150 per hour in London. A top demo producer with studio could cost you $3,000. I've been making some money here and there doing voice over work since 28th February 1990, I know lots of people and have yet to find anyone, ANYONE worth the difference between my 2 examples. There are people who believe there is a difference or simply want to be believe there is a difference and I would never presume to comment on anyone who has made a personal choice. There is no business evidence to support the price difference. We are in a BUSINESS.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the "nail bits of work together" camp... or occasionally, I'll play around with a piece I've recorded myself and slot it into the mix. I have a background in audio recording so know enough about the process to be dangerous. I think professionally produced demos are essential to make money... for the demo producers. The tail is wagging the dog nowadays and the demo has become an end in itself (and it even has awards at posh-frock events where it stumbles on its own hem-line as it mounts the podium).

Recently I heard of a VO having an elearning demo produced. Seriously... find four scripts with different styles, record, edit, and done.... no muss, no fuss.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm a DIY-er too and i've always felt guilty & slightly ashamed of it. but i have the same background as bruce, production director at numerous radio stations over 18 years & doing my own thing as well along the way. i've cobbled together actual work with an audition or two i thought i SHOULD have gotten thrown in here & there, and, my demos have gotten me work. i have heard some horrific $3,000 demos. i once heard a completely awful $5,000 demo. and worse - i recently heard a terrific demo, hired the guy to find that he was an absolute train wreck - couldn't talk his way out of a wet paper bag - complete misrepresentation. worse ... much, much worse.

Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DIY'd a few but went with produced lately as my producer pulled performance out of me I wouldn't have thought of or would have had an objective or focused use on any particular take. I loved being able to step away from all the production and let someone else handle it.

Since I was getting coaching from them throughout the year mine was $1150 for a commercial demo. I used BookableVO.com

Rick Wasserman and Greg Chun did all the producing. I recorded with Rick from my studio and sent files. Rick and Greg selected takes and added music and efx and we ping ponged it till we all liked what we had.

They would have liked me to come to LA but that's a long trip from FLA. Although I may have had the opportunity to make some good contacts through them if I went. (C'est le vie)

I also studied with Dave Walsh and Pat Fraley through the year and compound that with my past coaches over the years there's a little of everyone's method and influence on my performance.

Any of these coaches could have helped produce a great demo. This time around I opted for more acting and Rick has a solid acting background coming directly out of that craft on Broadway and beyond.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of the self made demos. Often we are too attached to be subjective. Plus a good producer is very in sync with the current trends of the industry, what buyers and agents are demanding from talent. Even demo producers who also happen to be actors will hire another producer to make their demo. Think doctor. A doctor will go to another doctor, even though they may be very qualified to diagnose and treat themselves.

I'm also not a fan of using real work for the sake of it being real for your demo. More often than not, a paid gig is not demo worthy. Over the past year I had 2 new demos produced, commercial and promo. I have miles of actual work I could cut together for demos. But because I wasn't involved with the mix or production of the work, none of it is produced in my favor. But by having a demo produced by scratch, I/my producer control all elements.

Demos range between $2-$3000. And the prices have stayed relative since I did my first demo in 1980. You can find much cheaper and you can find much more expensive. Don't judge a demo producer by their price. Listen to their work, meet with them, etc. They are your producer as well as your director. Research other actors who have also had demo produced by the same producer. Your fee should also come with a set number of fixes. If you play the finished product for several players, and I'm talking agents, producers, and casting directors...not fellow actors, and each buyer finds the same flaws, your demo producer should make the fix as a part of the initial fee. Usually this fix is the order of spots, perhaps an adjustment in the mix, etc. This would not include re-recording. For that a good demo producer should charge an hourly fee.

A demo should be refreshed annually. This does not mean a brand new demo. But perhaps add something new to the top.

The most important thing is for the demo to reflect YOU, not what you think vo should sound like. Nor should you emulate another talent. That talent is already out there. Your demo should be as individual as you are.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Produced demos also give you the ability to spotlight a skill your agents or producers aren't aware you can perform. Nowadays, I blend finished work with produced to help move my career in the direction I wish.

Example A
Directed by Dave Walsh
Produced by Chuck Duran
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first demo was produced for me by a local studio where I did a lot of work. It was kind of a catch-all demo. A guy from another local studio suggested I should separate the commercial stuff from the character voices (and he was right), so I edited the original demo into two. A guy at yet another local studio later did a new commercial demo for me. It ran longer than a minute and included a few pieces I decided I didn't like, so I cut it down and swapped in a couple of snippets from demo #1. By the way, although they quoted me prices, none of the local studio guys ever got around to sending me a bill.

I have about a dozen demos of various sorts, and other than the ones mentioned above, they are all DIY.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce, Phillip, Scott (PM).
I watched a video by Bill DeWees on his youtube channel and he was adament that a voice demo needs to be done by a pro so I guess my reaction was 'oh no, I didn't do that. I need to DO that!'
Anyway, I think the plan is to scope some solid examples of good demos, apply my production chops and crank out something hopefully sweet and 'Agency-likey!'
ricevoice
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years I had homemade demos (strong radio production background here as well), and I booked a decent amount of work and landed a handful of regional agents. Then 2 years ago I had Chuck Duran produce new commercial and promo demos for me, which landed me shiny new agents in LA and Chicago. So to me, whether or not you're better off having a professionally produced demo made depends on what your goals are. I was looking for bigger representation, and these demos achieved that for me. Plus, as Bob said, a good demo producer is a generally a lot more subjective about our reads than we tend to be ourselves.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reigning advice for some time now has been to lead your demo with the "natural" you. Something conversational. For the past year I have listened to hundreds of men's commercial demos from the major NY and LA agencies and only a very few start that way. Was there even a trend I could gather from listening to all of them? Not really. So I'd say place your wager and go for it.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Was there even a trend I could gather from listening to all of them?

The trend is there for all to ignore and it's based on my favourite question.

"What does a voice over call doing exactly the same thing as every other voice over whilst expecting a different outcome? MARKETING!"

Social Media and the invasion of the Gurus has resulted in a genuine fear of stepping out and doing something for you and about you.

$3-5,000 to spend? Get your agent to arrange a drinks and nibbles party at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel and invite THEIR favourite contacts.
agettig
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little late chiming in here, but the topic is fresh to me as I just completed my first commercial demo that I did not produce. Tim Keenan at Creative Media Recording in Orange County did a wonderful job for me. He's way less expensive than others but is an excellent director and producer.

The reason I decided not to DIY it this time was I really wanted the objectivity of someone else. I have a good professional relationship with Tim and trust his years of experience. I guess I never really trusted anyone with my hard earned money before.

I will continue to produce my own for e-learning, IVR, etc. Like others that have commented, I have production chops and am not afraid to have at it. If it sounds good, it is good. The main reason demo producers insist you need a professionally produced demo is because they want your business.

Even so, most of the $2k-$3k producers are certainly good at what they do. I just think it's way too much money.

Just my $.02.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: