VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

416 versus 416 model T (12v vs 48v phantom)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: 416 versus 416 model T (12v vs 48v phantom) Reply with quote

Hiya,

Anyone familiar with the senn 416 model T? Its 12volts instead of 48volts. With an adaptor according to gearslutz it functions identically, minus a little bit of max gain.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/48169-diff-between-mkh416-p48-mkh416-t.html

Im gonna go probably buy it, adaptor included, from a fella on craigslist, does anyone think this is a bad idea? Its $450 which seems to be a reasonable price for the model T (obviously the senn 416 is just under a grand, new)

Thanks! Hope I dont make a mistake here!!
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the seller also including an adapter that provides the right voltage for the T version? You'll need it.
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(duh. It seems I need to read more carefully before I throw in my 2 cents.)

NVM.

From everything I read and heard they are basically the same.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a T-powered 416 will be at least 25-30 years old. They are very rugged and I have owned several T-powered 415s and 416s. They hold up amazingly well, but I always send them to Sennheiser for a check-up. In fact, I have a 415 at Sennheiser right now. Hopefully it will get a clean bill of health. Whenever buying a mic of that age without knowing its history, I think you should always factor in the possibility of having to spend some $$$ on maintenance and repair.

Overall IMO it's worth the trouble. Some people say the T-powered 416s sound a little smoother and warmer than the newer phantom-powered models.
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Ending--

I met up with the seller at B and H photo / audio, bought the adaptor, took it in the booth and had the technician test it-- said it sounded brand new!! Then I bought it immediately.

I wish I could include a picture because the rig is so sexy-- I attached it to a 'baby plate' with an adjustable pin to the underside of my loft / studio booth. Put the tlm in the box and the mic stand in the closet!

O man do I love the sound! And the look... All chrome (plus the adaptor makes the barrel even longer). Now I dont know when the TLM103 will come out of the box is the only sad part :(

This is so the right mic for my voice, and that was so the wrong one; the big diaphragm would shudder at a hint of growl, but the 416 loves it! I can go all out, and Im not picking up every creaky floorboard or mouth microclick.

When I was using the sm7b I was booking like one in 20 jobs, switched to the tlm and didnt book one in like over a hundred-- shouldve been a warning sign-- now we'll see how 416 chromey and I can do!

Thanks everybody! Sustained focus and patience always wins the day eventually!
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iannyc wrote:
I wish I could include a picture because the rig is so sexy-- I attached it to a 'baby plate' with an adjustable pin to the underside of my loft / studio booth.

"baby plate" ? Wha'zat? Oh never mind. Before hitting SUBMIT I had this nagging feeling I was about to show my ignorance so I did a search. (But I haven't figured out the Adjustable Pin concept yet.) Smile
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vkuehn wrote:

"baby plate" ? Wha'zat?

I'm right there with ya. Laugh

Who knew?

I had to Google it as well.

Then...I remembered that youtube has all the answers.

The answer seems to be that part that sticks up in the middle is the "pin."

If you want to dedicate 6 minutes of your life to it, this video from a very EXUBERANT instructor will make you a "baby plate" expert.

https://youtu.be/KoSkScb-iFU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: