VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warm Audio WA87
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Warm Audio WA87 Reply with quote

Warm Audio is shipping their take on the late 60s/early 70s U87, Warm Audio WA87. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WA87)
I've seen a couple musical shootouts/unboxing on YouTube but wanted to see if anyone here has tried them out.
What do you think in general?
How does it sound compared to the original? To the latest U87ai?[url][/url]
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be interesting ...

I'm actually more interested in the Slate VMS. Honestly, I'm pretty pleased with my sound right now and haven't made any adjustments or upgrades away from my Avalon M5/TLM-67 combo.

There's another '87 clone being made in S. America, I can't remember the name of the company, but they've been making themselves a name for their LA-2A compressor clones.

At this point, I'm tired of chasing "sounds like..." or "almost as good as..." .

I'd rather just save up some money, or use a tax return and get the real deal, as you'll never be satisfied until you have the real thing. In the meantime, you'll run around and possibly spend more money over time trying to achieve a certain sound.
Wink
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenaliDave wrote:
At this point, I'm tired of chasing "sounds like..." or "almost as good as..." - I'd rather just save up some money, or use a tax return and get the real deal.
At last! A voice of sanity in the u87 clone wars!

I've always questioned any business model that pivots on, "Almost as good as something else, but cheaper." The WA mic may be a great mic for the price... and it may suit some voices admirably... but if you set out your stall with a sign that says "Not a u87" you alienate a whole group of potential buyers who don't want to buy a wannabe/clone. Make a good product, have faith in it, and sell it on its strengths, not its inevitable weakness.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mum knitted me this using the wool she had left over from a Yamaha FS1E she made for my brother in 1975.

Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody's actually used one please let me know what you think (IF YOU'VE USED ONE).
Thanks
vox1
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Warm Reply with quote

Some interesting Pres from Warm as well in the lower budget range…
Wouldn't mind hearing some comment on the WA-12 or tone beast…
As far as adding color, the latter appears pretty intriguing while capable
of "clean" for vo - and an apparently robust amount of clean gain…

But yeah, have heard some favorable comparisons btwn the WA-87
and The 87 actually/

Saying something since 1970-
something
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked one up. It is as quiet as my 416. If you remember, I tried out an Aston mic and a Lauten mic that both were rated as lower noise but ended up having higher noise up in the audible range, so they weren't really usable (IMO).

I'm still working out how to use this mic. It has a pretty pronounced proximity effect that's not super pleasing to my ear. Almost grungy when I get too close to it. At around 8" or so, it has a pretty nice open sound. Definitely sounds more natural and detailed than a 416 if you find the right spot. I'm still trying to determine how to effectively use it.

I've been told that a U87 can be touchy with placement as well. Any advice about how to effectively use the U87 for VO (and consequently how to use the WA87)?

Personally I was not looking for a U87 copy...but rather a mic that would sound very solid on recorded singing and acoustic instruments as well as work for intimate VO that the 416 couldn't quite capture. I would love to have a U87. I even bought one and sent it back. But, I'm make a fine living with the 416 and I wanted something that would be pretty good on everything...which seems to be what the U87 is. It is a staple because of its solid versatility, not because it is a spectacular sounding mic.

I'll get some samples up once I have some time to play with it. I am also using a DBX 286a, so there is a bit of a weak link in my chain that will add some wooliness to my overall tone.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd rather just save up some money, or use a tax return and get the real deal, as you'll never be satisfied until you have the real thing.

Truth. And believe me, I have tried them all. (and had a great time in the process cool )
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
DenaliDave wrote:
At this point, I'm tired of chasing "sounds like..." or "almost as good as..." - I'd rather just save up some money, or use a tax return and get the real deal.

I've always questioned any business model that pivots on, "Almost as good as something else, but cheaper." The WA mic may be a great mic for the price... and it may suit some voices admirably... but if you set out your stall with a sign that says "Not a u87" you alienate a whole group of potential buyers who don't want to buy a wannabe/clone. Make a good product, have faith in it, and sell it on its strengths, not its inevitable weakness.

In fact, I probably need to pair down my mic locker. Find a mic that people like your voice on, and run with it. Whatever makes the clients and producers/engineers happy!

And it just happens that the U87 is that mic for a lot of people.

I've learned that the U87 doesn't really sound "amazing" all by itself. It's what producers/engineers can DO with a voice recorded with an '87 that sounds amazing!

The 87 takes to EQ and other post so incredibly well! It's actually pretty boring sounding on its own.

I've noticed a lot of new people want that polished sound right away from the microphone, so they shop around for mics that have tweaked frequencies and artificially boosted "presence".

And, after a long time and many mics later (and a lighter pocketbook) they finally learn (as I have) that you really just want the clearest, cleanest, highest quality and most natural sound you can get to pass along to the editor/producer/engineer.

Smile
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Ellis wrote:
Quote:
I'd rather just save up some money, or use a tax return and get the real deal, as you'll never be satisfied until you have the real thing.

Truth. And believe me, I have tried them all. (and had a great time in the process cool )

And this is why initially I was interested in the Aston Spirit and Origin mics -- they weren't trying to copy anyone, but create something new.

Sort of like how JZ mics also are trying to create "new classics".

These companies are making mics that maybe someday we'll wish we had bought early on when they weren't crazy expensive!
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the U87 and the U87ai offer coffee. If in post it is decided that cream, sugar or anything is required the people who know what they want will add stuff to their taste.

What next, the BS Pre-Directed. Set it so the director doesn't have to say anything. Its forward looking dynamics processor anticipates what is required from any copy. MAPOOSSI will fix bad copy in an instant (Make A Pile Of Old Shite Sound Interesting)
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenaliDave wrote:
Bish wrote:
DenaliDave wrote:

In fact, I probably need to pair down my mic locker. Find a mic that people like your voice on, and run with it. Whatever makes the clients and producers/engineers happy!

And it just happens that the U87 is that mic for a lot of people.

I've learned that the U87 doesn't really sound "amazing" all by itself. It's what producers/engineers can DO with a voice recorded with an '87 that sounds amazing!

The 87 takes to EQ and other post so incredibly well! It's actually pretty boring sounding on its own.

I've noticed a lot of new people want that polished sound right away from the microphone, so they shop around for mics that have tweaked frequencies and artificially boosted "presence".

And, after a long time and many mics later (and a lighter pocketbook) they finally learn (as I have) that you really just want the clearest, cleanest, highest quality and most natural sound you can get to pass along to the editor/producer/engineer.

Smile

Good point to remember here. Good perspective Dave
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenaliDave wrote:
Bish wrote:

"Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?"
GunslingerWriting
Contributor II

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Wa87 update Reply with quote

For those interested in more details of the WA-87's build, here's an update from NAMM: https://youtu.be/V-QpUyYPe3A
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
What next, the BS Pre-Directed. Set it so the director doesn't have to say anything. Its forward looking dynamics processor anticipates what is required from any copy.

Philip, do you use the Very Excellent or the Double-Plus Excellent switch on yours?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: