VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Here and Seeking Input

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adrienne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: New Here and Seeking Input Reply with quote

Thanks to Deirdre and Bruce for creating and maintaining this forum! I'm a total newbie since I decided to pursue voice over in December. I did some acting in junior high, high school and after college but it has been 20 years. I completed my first voiceover training today (a 5 week program called The Great Voice Challenge with Susan Berkley). I do not yet have a demo but my life coach has challenged me to make at least $100 doing voice over work by 2/13/17. I realize it is unlikely to happen so quickly and without experience or a demo but I thought you might be able to offer some tips. Thanks in advance!
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adrienne,

First, welcome to the VO-BB!

Second, one of my primary axioms is "voiceover is a wonderful way to make a living, but a terrible way to make a living quickly." In other words, do NOT concentrate on how quickly you can make $100. Rather, concentrate first on making sure you are really ready to plunge in to whatever end of the pool you find yourself.

A very quick way to end your voiceover business is to book a job for which you are not ready, and then bomb in the actual session. This is a small world we live and work in. Not being able to deliver the goods in a session will leave a bad impression in more than just the minds of those who hired you; but also in all of their friends and associates.

Now, let me hasten to say that I have no idea how ready you are. You may all ready be able to knock anything that comes your away out of the park.

Spend some time listening to the voice talent who are on the rosters of the major talent agencies in LA and NYC. (You'll find their demos at voicebank.net) Really listen to those demos. Now, listen to your own recordings. How do they compare? Be as brutally honest with yourself as you can be.

I wish you all the best. And by the way, hanging out here at the VO-BB will be a university level education in voiceover in the coming years. At least it has been for me.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New Here and Seeking Input Reply with quote

Welcome Adrienne.

Have fun.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adrienne! Bob gave you some great advice. Here's my 2 cents. I certainly cannot comment on your life coach, and I have known many wonderful life coaches. But to me, a life coach who challenges a brand new actor to make money at acting by a certain date just doesn't understand acting.

First of all, you are brand new to vo. Meaning you don't rely on vo for your livelihood. This is a good thing!! Too many go into vo today to make money. It's a rather new mindset and is a byproduct of the internet. I've been in the game for 30 plus years and I never went into it to make money. I'm still not in it to make money. I'm fortunate that I do, and once I got to a certain level I've been able to pay my bills on vo for quite some time.

By not doing this for the money forces the professional actor to pursue vo professionally. This means you never take low ball offers. When ready you should be professionally compensated. This is not just better for you, it's better for the industry and your fellow actors. Accepting a low ball offer, and $100 is not a great offer, only dumbs down the industry by offering buyers cheap talent. It matters not that you are new. Be professional.

Now, what your life coach should have advised is you get yourself into a great acting class by 2/13/17. Get yourself ready to work. Study acting, improv, then vo. Become the best vo actor you can be! When you are demo ready, make a kick ass demo. By that time you should have networked with many major players who can refer you to agents. Depending on the level of vo you are interested in pursuing, you may or may not want to think about union work. The benefits that come from working union are enormous! From pension and health benefits, to those blessed residuals that keep coming even during the slow work periods.

But put that $100 goal on the back burner. And when ready, multiply it by about 7-10. Never settle, and wake up every day asking what else you can do for your career. And don't forget to have fun!! Wink
Adrienne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips! I appreciate all the input. Bob Bergen - Are you the Bob Bergen that Penny Abshire suggested I contact for voice over coaching? Penny was kind enough to speak to me on the phone last month.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably! Wink Are you in LA?? My LA class has about a 3 year wait list. And it's just animation. If you are looking for commercial/promo coaches, check out Jeff Howell, Dave Walsh, Mary Lynn Wissner. All terrific!! If you wish to get on my wait list email me your phone number for my records. Porkysvoice@aol.com But be patient!!!! B
Adrienne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen - I am in LA. I live in the South Bay. Thanks for the coaching recommendations for commercial/promo. You are a popular guy Smile, that is quite a long wait list. Maybe I should get on it in case I want to do animation in 3 years Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: