VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fall in love with failure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeatherMasters
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Fall in love with failure Reply with quote

I am a student of the Theeahtahhhh, but the business side of things doesn't come as naturally. This short video was especially rousing to me and I feel like it applies especially well in the field of voice over.

Thought I'd pass it on.

http://dd.darrenhardy.com/fall-in-love?utm_campaign=DarrenDaily&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=40916656&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8qFdOQ8PX80lOM781e0Lcx4nMP7piRaXiHjDJGphHM9LcwWavcUwYuH0ZaANNx01aYDsdkJVkx8OjLkbp2pH30hO3YUg&_hsmi=41108113

www.heathermastersvo.com
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like his analogy. Thanks for posting.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say Thomas Edison found 10,000 ways to not make a lightbulb before he found the version that worked. Of course the folks who engineered the Titanic probably didn't get much work for years after that event. Yes failure is the key to success. Just so long as you recognize what you did wrong and don't keep doing it again and again hoping for better results each time.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's right and it works. The key with Success Mentors is listening to the part where they tell you how it worked for them. Woot go for it is not the same as Woot I went for it and this is how it worked for me.

When I first started in this job there was a time when I went into Christmas with £11 (about $15) to celebrate the season and pay all my bills. the situation was beyond hopeless.

Here's a lovely sentence. Disney have just paid me for my work on the Star Wars: Rogue 1 world premiere.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be nice.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following are nice -

Border Collies
Cats
Kittens
Sunsets
Hugs
Kisses
CENSORED
Elephant Rides
Egg and Chips
Beaches
Time with friends
Family support
Red Velvet Hats (wide brim)
Making people laugh
Pork Pies

List requires more entries.

Voice Over work? Just my job. I'll give it another year and if it doesn't work out I'll find something else to do. Become a Milliner?

Motivational Speakers? Pickpockets who allow victims to use their own hands.

BTW last week I joined WOVO. When I realised what I'd done I decided to stop drinking alcohol.

Today I may buy a MASSIVE YACHT, I'm feeling saucy!
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sorry, The DarrenDaily post you were interested in has expired..." ... said the awfully important man with the $50,000 teeth, $100,000 facelift and million-dollar ego. "I really couldn't give a rat's-arse" said the slightly acerbic Brit with missing teeth and bags under his eyes.

As happens occasionally, it's a cultural thing. Back in 1807, I worked (briefly) for IBM. The muckity-mucks in the US decided that us Brits should be assimilated into the global family as a matter of policy... so they organized a "sports day" for us. They fed us hot-dogs, tried to teach us baseball (we ended up calling it rounders just to annoy them), had inspirational speakers and a company song.

Yeah. That worked.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have witnessed this kind of complete bollocks before! On NETWORKING of all subjects, Mmmm my favourite!

Lemme tell you m'story Doods.

I must confess to feeling a little nervous as I entered La Hacienda Conference suite as I had never been to a networking seminar let alone a masterclass. The guest speaker was Pam Guisley of ConnXshuns. From her demeanour I should say that her name was pronounced PAM!

7pm prompt she took to the stage to a musical backing track “Coz I luv you” by Slade. On came the screen for PAMS’! powerpoint presentation, it was white and read “Batt low >:UserPrompt_BadCommand”

PAM! made the mistake of pointing to the screen without looking at it.

“The first mistake all networkers make!” she announced with a rye smile. Stifled titters from the audience. “You may laugh” she continued, showing that she was in control of the situation “but you’d be amazed at how many times I see that”. PAM! flicked her blonde black rooted hair and turned with a flourish to face the screen. “So what is the b………..Oh right! Er…….um, Derek………can you………um”. The event organiser scuttles on stage and starts to faff around (a technical term) with the laptop on the lectern.

PAM! was wearing a lavalier or lapel mic with a radio pack so she could move around the stage.

“Do you all have your business cards with you and are SNAP-CRACKLE (Strong Kent male accent)….Car six four. That dippy tart from the massage parlour has asked for you personal, fare to 39 Winston…..WHISTLE……(PAM!)in any situation”.

Every audience member is holding a business card aloft, they look puzzled and then gingerly lower their hands.

WHOOSH CRACKLE ZAP….(KENT CAB CONTROLLER AGAIN) NO six four cash this time no favours ….PAM! (forced laugh) “Obviously having a few technical difficulties…………….” Suddenly we are all nearly deafened by Slade singing Coz I luv you and the Windows start up chimes.

With a cigarette between his lips and a coffee in his hand a techie walked on stage. His T shirt read “Wheel oil beef Hooked”. He put his coffee down and removed the mic from PAM! and gave her a handheld one, then he went to the laptop entered something and the Powerpoint burst into life.

“er….thank you Adrian” said PAM!

“Aidan” he said nodding his head.

PAM! Looked at us thoughtfully. “Would you prefer to grow you business organically or leverage it using the power of networking? Most people ask me in my capacity as an executive enabling consultant which are the best ways. My answer is always the same one thing. Your business deserves the power of levers and that requires initiative, courage, technique and easy to read business cards”. The point was lost on me as was the powerpoint slide showing a mobile home on a caravan site in Rhyll. I did an ordinary point, as opposed to a powerpoint.

“Sorry, we have a lot to get through so could we leave questions to the end” said PAM! flashing me a great white shark smile. The slide changed to a couple in their 60’s holding two West Highland white terriers.

“Held properly, I think you can all see the impact. Who wouldn’t put one of these in their pockets to use later?” Derek drops his head into his hands as the slide changes to the image of a drunken girls night out, PAM! looked interesting as a St Trinian’s schoolgirl swigging from a vodka bottle. Her ample cleavage was bursting out of the white blouse. “For a business woman, ideal meeting attire, no prizes for guessing where there was plenty of room to keep my business cards” the statement was followed by the experts all knowing, superior nod. Next slide.

“You need to be honest, how do you feel about your potential clients or those in your (makes inverted comas sign in the air with her fingers) network”.

“NO!” exclaimed Derek. The audience laughs out loud! The slide is of PAM! being sick all over a Policeman.

The stage lights go off plunging the room into darkness, the mic is turned off. Aidan the techie thought it best to arrange a power failure. PAM! a true professional speaker did what any pro can do, find a stage door in the dark and call a taxi home.
Fran McClellan
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A slightly off topic question...where can I purchase that techie's t-shirt? 😂 Laugh
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cafe Press but only in the UK so send size and mailing address and I'll do the thing!
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does everyone always blame poor Derek.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HeatherMasters
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean none of you signed up for the "mentoring membership" at the end of the video? Drat! How am I ever going to achieve Diamond status now?!?

Seriously though, I am sorry about the video. I am not adept in the art of mentors, and this was the first Darren Hardy video I've ever seen. There shall be no more inspirational expiring videos from me Smile

www.heathermastersvo.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was right and it would've been right had a Duck from Macclesfield quacked it on Faceduck. So, the random thought was welcome.

Having placed that on record YOU, young lady need to go to your room and think about what you've done and you may come back when AND ONLY WHEN you are ready to apologise properly to everyone.
Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why you be such a PAM hater?

Now what did I come in here for?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love one PAM whereas PAM! is a Witch and probably drowns Kittens. In the UK, for the record, ALL Fionas are bitches. Do we have anyone here named Fiona? No. They are all out eating babies. Tis the way of things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: