VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TLM woes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: TLM woes Reply with quote

So I recently had a wake-up call.

I've been plugging away sending auditions from my home studio, bouncing the raw edits over to a professional editor/ masterer and then submitting them to the p2p's, wondering why I wasnt booking, figuring it might be my fault

My agent called me and told me I had to urgently audition for something on my phone (Lay's potato chips) and I booked it outright!

Now Im thinking my home studio is for all intents and purposes worse than my iphone mic.

Thw job I did was w a senn 416.

What is the tlm used for and what are the reasons that shotguns are more popular?

I think Im gonna trade in for the senn mkh-50
juliaknippen
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ian,

It really isn't the quality of your microphone that gets you the booking. Ultimately, it's your read. I suspect that when you did the "urgent" audition into your iphone mic, you didn't overthink it or stress too much about it. That's probably why you booked it.

The challenge is bringing that relaxed, unassuming sound to the self-records you do from your studio.

I'm 100% sure that the mastered sound from your TLM is not better than a raw file recorded on your iphone.

Congrats on the booking!
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short story...
Last year I had booked an ISDN session with one of my NYC regulars. My ISDN failed so I had to hop on a train and head to the city to do it in-house. Full studio, u87, and an engineer with a big desk and pro-tools. Session went well.

Fast forward to last Tuesday. The same client needed some changes to the script... drop-ins with new financials and customer numbers. Of course this time my ISDN is just fine. Same engineer, same studio... me at home on a 416. All went went well and after the client was off the line I asked the engineer about my sound and if there were any issues matching. His answer was clear... "Your sound is good... I think you're on a 416 because there's a hair more bite on the drop-ins. No problem at all... it'll EQ nicely."

One of the major hurdles on a VO journey is over-thinking things. We (as VOs) tend to make things more important than they are. The engineers just shrug and shake their heads, questioning why we run around like headless chickens.

... and of course, the chips audition was not being judged on anything other than your performance... there are many, many, working NYC/LA actors who ONLY audition by phone because they have no interest in home-production and will always record in the client's studio.
(congrats on that by the way)
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Bish and Julia said
AlanTaylor
Contributor II

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above, but I've also found that my TLM 103 is not simply a "plug and play" mic. It took me awhile to get used to it, figure out the best placement for me, and to use my channel strip to de-ess it a bit. I do mainly long-form voice work (audiobooks, e-learning, etc.) and I've now got the sound dialed in where it works well for my voice. I have a shotgun mic (AT 875R) and have found that it seems to cut through for projects that might have music, etc. I use it when the project seems to call for it, and love it, but it doesn't pick up the vocal nuances that the TLM 103 does. Two different tools for different uses, in my opinion.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not criticising you. We all do it and should learn to Undo it! Get a poster made and place it where you can see it. What should it say?

Me Me Me
Me Me Me
ME ME ME

When you see it. Ask the question "What's wrong with that poster?

You'd be amazed how much power that poster will release in your life. Seriously.

[/u]
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKH 50 is a great mic for male VO - especially if you're sending tracks to television.

all of the imaging/promos for Comet TV Network are done on an MKH 50

https://www.facebook.com/WatchComet/videos/1329037467157105/

http://www.comettv.com/watch-live/
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Ellis wrote:
What Bish and Julia said

What Rob said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: