VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sibilance friendly Mic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kookster
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've contacted George and ordered some help on mic selection via Edge Studio - be interesting to get the results!
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKG C414 XLS
Kookster
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a winner! After consulting with the guru that is Mr Whittam, I've finally sent all the other mics back and kept the TLM193. Thanks all!

Next up - ordering a template or two from him to make it sound lufferly!

I purchased the Neumann shockmount to go with it but I've just discovered the Rycote shockmounts which have great reviews so am going to give one a try instead, anyone tried them? http://rycote.com/microphone-windshield-shock-mount/invision-studio/

Thanks all! Hopefully this'll be my last waffle on mic selection for a while before GAS kicks in!
John Kissinger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic, Cari! Congratulations.

Please do post a new sample once you get all your DAW settings sorted. It'll be cool to hear before versus after.

And, if you're comfortable sharing them, I'd love to learn what tweaks Mr. Whittam made to your DAW to get things sounding just right for you.

Cheers!
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the Rycote will work, but if you have already ordered the Neumann shockmount I would stick with that, unless money is extremely tight. The Neumann mounts are pricey, but they are first class, and if you ever have any kind of drop-the-mic moment during your warranty period you can make a stronger case if you are using the Neumann mount.

Plus the Neumann mount just looks better also, and sometimes these things matter. cool
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's wonderful! Congratulations!

I love rycote 's shockmounts. I used this great kit with the sennheiser mk4 and rode nt1. It's listed to work with the tlm 103 as well, so as long as your mic fits those diameters, it'll be just fine.

https://www.adorama.com/ry045002.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA0fnFBRC6g8rgmICvrw0SJADx1_zAdrfvaBE8Gp7DHJkienT2tGQg2bnmBMS509bupG2HCxoCC_Xw_wcB
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, just noticed that you already bought the Neumann mount. I haven't had the pleasure of using one myself, but I'm sure they're both great mounts, and the rycote's are amazing for the price. I've even seen a couple studios while I was in Japan using the rycote USM for their U-87's!
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Neumann mounts are solid, I can confirm that.

I think anyone in here that's owned an e100S can attest to those having the funkiest and weirdest shockmounts. If you haven't had to change the rubber bands, trust me...

I kept asking myself, "Why?" as I struggled to replace a broken rubber band with mine.

I love the EV shockmount that goes with the RE20-series mics. There's just something about them. They're easy to grab and swing around so you can position the mic.

The Rycotes are probably the "best looking" though!
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kookster wrote:
We have a winner! After consulting with the guru that is Mr Whittam, I've finally sent all the other mics back and kept the TLM193. Thanks all!

Next up - ordering a template or two from him to make it sound lufferly!

I purchased the Neumann shockmount to go with it but I've just discovered the Rycote shockmounts which have great reviews so am going to give one a try instead, anyone tried them? http://rycote.com/microphone-windshield-shock-mount/invision-studio/

Thanks all! Hopefully this'll be my last waffle on mic selection for a while before GAS kicks in!

You made a wise choice. As for the shockmount...The Neumann shockmount is made for the mic and works wonderfully. Replacement bands are available thru Sweetwater and other sources for around $11-15 depending on where you purchase but the bands should last a long time...like years.
The Rycote products are all very high quality and will serve equally well. IF it's a cost issue, get the Rycote shock mount. The isolation from both mounts is pretty much a coin toss as they are both very effective.

I use the Neumann shockmount with my 193 because it came with the mic
But for other mics I use Rycote shockmounts. One thing I LIKE about the Rycote mounts is that you can get the Rycote windscreen/pop filter that attaches to the mounts and it's perfectly sized and very effective. I have Rycote mounts for my Gefell M930, AKG 414B-ULS, and MKH 50. And I use the Rycote pop filter for the Gefell and AKG...it attaches to the rim of the shockmount.
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also be keen to know how you get on with your 193. Does it have the "bite" you want?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: