VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Well hello...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JWard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Well hello... Reply with quote

My name is Jonathan Ward. I’m an ex-performing musician/singer with years of touring experience who finally got tired of traveling and got a real job! (not really… the DJs took over the venues I played ;(

Through the years, I’ve held onto my creative background and have always been able to keep a formidable recording environment within the home. Last year, I decided that I wanted to somehow continue in the arts because quite frankly, I'm not whole without some form of expression. A woman told me I have a wonderful voice and… (haha) Seriously, the idea of working entirely for myself thrills the heck out of me!

I’ve had one-on-one coaching this past year with Anne Ganguzza. She’s pointed me towards business VO, which is a good fit. Unfortunately in August, my wife was injured at work and went into a deep depression due to ongoing pain. It’s been tough… emotionally and financially. Fortunately, we’re determined types and will get through this. Anyway, wanted to introduce myself. I’ve already reached out to a few of you (with good responses) and I look forward to learning more here.

Last edited by JWard on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Jonathan, I hope you enjoy who and what you find here. On a personal level I wish you and your wife good fortune for the future.

Now, work stuff. I've been paid for doing voice over work since 28th February 1990. In all those several weeks (estimate) I have never heard anyone use the term business VO or VO for business. It's a bit like telling a dancer to only interpret spreadsheets for KPMG in leg warmers with Fortune 500 credibility. If you are a dancer you get hired to dance to the tune the Fiddler plays. As a voice you read the words as written, as directed. People will hear in you things you do not hear. Trust them and trust the market to take you where you need to go.

That'll be $6.87 please
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with philip - don't pigeon-hole yourself. many (most?) of us lean toward, or prefer one genre or another, but limiting yourself to one thing ... ANY one thing ... is ... well ... limiting.

Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jonathan! Totally understand! If a creative person isn't able to create, they feel empty. This is why I always tell those new to vo if you don't get more satisfaction from the doing than you do getting paid for the doing, do something else.

Also not sure what business vo means. Can you clarify that??

And it's great that you come from a performing background. So many who pursue vo don't. And there's no such thing as a good voice. There's no such thing as a bad voice. There are only good actors and bad actors. And a sound that is "in" today was considered unbookable 40 years ago. Same with the announcers of 40 years ago today.

If you are looking for vo resources, check out these:
https://iwanttobeavoiceactor.com
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/vo-buzz-weekly/id485603358?mt=2

That will keep you busy for a while.

B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: