VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dear diary .........
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Dear diary ......... Reply with quote

Have you ever looked back over a week to see what it is you did? How did last week pan out? If asked I would've said. Painted that wall by the stairs and sent a friend's daughter a Teddy Bear for her 8th birthday. Other than that, mine went something like this ...

Monday - Started the day with 18 white goods product narrations. Dish washers, fridges, washing machines. All about 1 minute long and look nice with the pictures. Next a TV commercial for a theme park. As usual, after multiple takes the agancy went for take one. Then to the middle east to record two versions of a radio commercial selling property in Florida, one version for the middle east and the other for the USA.

Tuesday - Let's start in Malta and do 2 radio commercials for re-cycling then go to Inverness to do another radio commercial for an airline. Where now? Ahlen, Germany for a corporate narration.

In the evening I give a speech to the Portgordon ladies group entitled "The disembodied voice".

Wednesday - 10.30 start and we're off to Covent Garden to do some TV promotions (trailers) and then to Whitley Bay for a radio commercial to be transmitted to the south east coast of England.

Thursday - One corporate for a production company in London and a radio commercial for Ireland.

In the evening I give a speech to the Mosstodloch ladies group entitled "The disembodied voice". They very kindly gave me £10 in an envelope. See Saturday afternoon to discover how it was spent.

Friday - 9am start is delayed as the studio to which I am due to connect has problems. We kick off at 9.30 with a few promotions for a satellite/cable sports channel. Next stop, Birmingham. This session allows me to have some real fun because it's for an animated character ...A Christmas Yeti.

Saturday - In the morning I record more training material for an elearning course, the client is a UK pharmaceutical company.

In the afternoon it's off to Cullen for a paddle in the sea and an ice cream.

Your turn ..................................

Last edited by Philip Banks on Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok-- I'm in.

Monday started out bright and early with 1.5 hours of weathercasting. I did about an hour of random auditioning from home, and 2 hours of voice tracking. 10:00pm, 1.5 more hours of weather.

Tuesday-- Ran errands and acted domestic for a bit. 1.5 hours of weather, 1 hour of auditioning, 1.5 hours of voice tracking, and I don't know how much time tinkering with my CD graphics (I worked on this here and there through the week).

Wednesday, slept in. 1.5 hours of weather and complete do-overs for three radio spots (copy changes.) Got caught up a bit on invoicing. Did research on CD duplication houses.

Thursday 5:30 I get a call from a regular client-- can I be in the studio at 9:00am? Sure. In the evening, I had my improv class at Second City Los Angeles, went out for drinks with the gang after at a posh place on Hollywood Blvd. where one of our group was condescended to to an almost comical degree. We will not be back. 1.75 hours of weathercasting, starting at 1:30am.

Friday: After not enough sleep, I head out at 7:30 to go down to a studio near L.A.'s Fairfax District. I walk into the studio at 8:57 for a 9:00am call-- eek! Traffic! Record two jewelry store commercials and three matching radio spots, plus several invisible braces spots, each customized for a different orthodontist. Spent the evening hanging out with hubby, after a little VTing.

Saturday-- stayed in jammies all day, and napped a few times! 1.5 hours of weather and other random tasks.

Sunday three hours of weather, 4 hours of VTing, a trip to the hardware store with hubby and a nice dinner (I had the grilled mahi mahi, we split the bread pudding).

Sprinkled throughout the week: Project Runway, America's Next Top Model, Judge Judy, hanging out doing nothing with my teenaged son, and organizing a closet!

Next?

Last edited by asnively on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's why I like this business, you never know what is coming next.

Monday: Pick the car up from the shop - it got hit by another vehicle and had a little boo-boo. Drive home 40 minutes. It's snowing, so I think this day will go slow... it didn't. Call from client with an emergency session - two hours onsix Movie Trailers. Then, another client calls and six radio and three TV spots to do - client likes to talk or the gig would have lasted only 35 minutes - but the session last two hours. Shovel snow off the porch... and then it's R & R... and working on a project.

Tuesday: 5:00 am Imaging clients start calling. 10:30 am - to noon. get breakfast and prepare for the next session. 12:00 noon to 4:00 Narration project for USAF. 4:00 pm: off to take the car in for a new timing belt... and shovel snow.

Wednesday. Imaging cleints start at 5:00 am - why did I schedule them so early? 3:00 drive to the city and pick up the car... Then back to work on the my project.

Thursday: Imaging clients. then nothing - so it's time to work on the personal project. 3:00 client calls wanting Convention VO, but it's not approved yet - can he have it done by 5:00? Copy arrives at 4:30 pm. Finished at 5:25... 6:30: Dinner meeting with Movie Sweetening client...

Friday - Snow has melted, time to go and shoot picutres of great fall colors... and relax... then come back to begin Sweetening project...

Saturday - working on sweeteing project...

Sunday - not a darn thing.

Monday thru Friday this coming week? The Movie Sweetening will require more time - and client wants "Theatre Surround Sound" and 5:1 for DVD... so it will be a long process... at least 4 hours a day, plus the Radio and TV Imaging...

Who is next?

Toodles

Frank F
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by tackerman on Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dear diary ......... Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:

Wednesday - 10.30 start and we're off to Convent Garden to do some TV promotions

Cool... I didn't know nuns were that into promos...
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Augusta Bell gets fan mail from Joe Sipmewino. The reason many on here don't get promo work is because the 3rd Order of Fries have the market sewn up. It's slogan "We're in the habit of trailing".

Convent - Covent.That was Freudian. As opposed to an ISDN connection am going there in person on Thursday to do some work on The Queen. That conjures up images for some which could be described as a Freudian Nightmare.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to keep a log.

I can't freakin' remember what I did last week besides Pat Fraley's website and the start of a big ol' editing project for a teaching sessions CD.
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll play too. Last week:

Mon: 8 AM to noon: Human resources recording. 1:30 PM: Promotional narration for Agilent Technlology DVD. 3:00 – 5:00: eLearning narration for GE.

Tue: 8AM to noon: Human resources recording. 1:00 - 4:00 PM more narration for GE. 5:30 – 6:00 PM: TV spot for Cloud 10 Corp

Wed: 8:00 AM to Noon: Human resources recording. 1:30 – 2:30: Promotional narration for new VoIP technology. 3:30- 6:00: Record and load news content for regular news content provider. 6:00- 6:30 : Short narration for Cisco Systems. 7:00 – 8:30 Narration for well known energy provider.

Thursday: 8:00 AM to 11:30 AM: Human resources recording. Noon to 3:00: Narration for OrphanAct a service project for Rotary. 4:30 to 5:30: Short narration
For the UN. 6:00 – 7:00: Short narration for GE

Friday: 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM : Research royalty free holiday music for radio image client in NYC. I have some twenty produced holiday liners due in late Oct. 11:30 to 1:00: Voice and produce spot for a client on Staten Island. Spent rest of day grocery shopping and running errands.

Sat: Restock office supplies, send CD to client. Purchase lumber, hardware other stuff for kitchen remodel client. Take son to violin lesson. Meet with kitchen remodel client who has changes in design.

Sun: 9:30 AM – Noon: eLearning narration for Cisco Systems. Work on kitchen redesign drawings.

Today: 8- Noon: Human resources recordings. 1:00 phone conference with new eLearning client to discuss script. Fingers crossed—maybe I’ll get into the shop and actually do some work on this kitchen job. That was the plan last Monday…then this stuff call VO work started coming in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday: Radio station day - reconcile last Fri, Sat, Sun logs, generate and edit Tues, Wed logs. Input new orders blah blah blah. 4pm Audition for a few Voices.com gigs

Tuesday: Finish re-building door casing and threshold in kitchen, skim sheetrock repair. Fertilize yard, clean up garage. Late in afternoon whip up a few sweepers for a podcast client.

Wednesday: Produce imaging for another VO (THANKS AGAIN!) Radio station day - reconcile logs, generate new ones, produce 5 :10 tags and 2 spots. Long discussion with sports network about contract and required clearances. Oh joy. Give prospective buyer tour of studios, and transmitter sites. 5pm - 2 more voices.com auditions then off to the baby furniture store with wife.

Thursday - listen to part 1 of 6 audio class over coffee. Trim hedges, pull weeds, run string trimmer in ditch, mow yard. Work on new narration demo in afternoon. Have discussion with station owners about feasiblily of format flip.

Friday - listen to part 2 of 6 audio class. Radio station day - basically same as above. Have discussion with different network about contract and equipment issues. Dinnertime, take my wife on a "date" to Checkers for dinner and then Wal-Mart. Now that's how you spend a Friday night.

Saturday - Move boxes for wife, a few more lines for podcast client, long nap on couch. Listen to part 3 of 6 audio class.

Sunday - Grill steaks, watch movies with wife most of day. Spend a little time updating Quickbooks and trying to integrate Paypal charges.
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday (last week): Woke up at 4:45 am. Started drinking heavily.

Monday (Today): Woke up from my drinking induced coma from above entry, just in time to shower and go to work.

P.S. I love weeks that go by fast.

Laugh

P.S.S. JUST KIDDING.....a joke. lol

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
Edo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I understand correctly you were late for work? cool
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday: uploaded clips
Tuesday: walked to the mail box, went back to the shed to get the wheelbarrow to bring in the bags of money.
Wednesday: woke up. Wink
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I can't freakin' remember what I did last week

THIS is precisely what led me to think late last week about assessing my workweek on a regular basis! I log on this morning, having foregone vo-bb ALL WEEKEND and find this topic. Serendipity.

One thing I did NOT do was work on any Pat Fraley website. Curses!

But last Friday at the end of the day I very casually and fleetingly looked back on the previous few days and realized in wonder how varied the week was! To whit, a partial list, in no order:
I engineered a session for a client who had a VO talent in town needing to lay down tracks.
I cut a couple of car ads and mixed for broadcast.
I researched for and hosted an interview program for public radio Wed-Fri. I voiced for a video project, on site and with earpiece to landline for direction.
I voiced for a web project off-site.
I found a VO guy for a radio station Hobo Laughing friend.
I talked like a pirate.
I helped Frank with a quick task.
I took the mic at the Avalanche Forecast Ctr fundraising party for the exciting! new and improved! edge-of-your-seat raffle.
I went to watercolor class.
And the day after--Saturday--I rode my bike 80 miles in frickin' coldass weather, but with incredible scenery and good company and lots of candy Shocked
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
CWToo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:

Sounds like me... I'll come home from a session and my wife will ask me what I did. Most of the time I have no idea... might remember that I was the boss or the dad or something and that it might have been for a bank but that's it.

It's like right after the session everything goes right into the Dead Zone.

I do remember how much I got paid.
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old radio days: I know I'd read the weather forecast a dozen times during an airshift but couldn't tell you what the weather forecast was if you'd asked me off-air.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: