VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Demo Reel hot off the presses!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Demo Reel hot off the presses! Reply with quote

Hey gang,

My audio technician friend informed me that you can rip audio files off of youtube

And then I found a bunch of spots I did were actually ON youtube

Hence... he mixed these up for a few shekles, thoughts?

https://soundcloud.com/ian-campbell-347703967/iantemple2017demo

cool
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUDE, you are really good!!!!! With all of my previous notes on that other thread, I had NO idea how ahead of the game you were!

Few notes: Lose any intro and exit music throughout the demo. Often a producer will include establishing music at the top of a spot to let the listener know when each spots begin. But this makes the demo drag and highlights the production, not the actor. Edit the demo voice/attached to voice/attached to voice. If your energy/intent varies from spot to spot, if will be obvious when each spot starts and stops. This edit will also make the demo move better, and make you sound more versatile. Also, lose the dialogue spot. I can't tell which one is you. Kinda confusing. And you have several spots with the same every/read. you excel at the high energy toy read. But you only need one of those on your demo.

On another thread you were asking where you should market this. I assume you are non union? If union, you need an agent. You are in NYC which does a TON of national toy commercials. Your sound/read is very competitive. You should be competing on a national level. And if you are non union, work your ass off to get union. With all you have going for you, your age/sound/location, you are missing a great opportunity being non union.

I'm going to post more suggestions for you on that other thread! VERY impressed, my friend!!!

OH-one last note. A demo doesn't have to consist of real work. A demo needs to be real good! Finish this demo off by hiring a great demo producer and remove the redundancy and add some different reads/spots. B
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Thanks so much!

I'll have my producer streamline the spots... I was thinking it would be good, say, to have the "TROJAN MAAAN" part to let people know that it was a real spot for Trojan, rather than something I did with an audio demo producer, as a little mark of authenticity or something. But I can definitely edit that out if you think that's the move.

The dialogue spot, those are all me, maybe that doesn't come across (which is good I guess) but maybe it doesn't necessarily add value to me in a commercial context. I would like to have some more uh.. 'normal' voiced (like not for toys or outdoor adventure bro-beer), something a little more apple/google-sounding, which I can't seem to find a good demo of that I've done.

PS I just found a spot I did for NJOY ecigs if you care to listen, gonna put it in there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DepGlndWO4

Still that pretty much puts everything in the infantile male pleasure seeking arena (supersoakers, condoms, beer, ecigs, batman toys...did I mess up the natural order??? and what does that say about me??)

As far as union/nonunion, I am nonunion as were all these jobs. I used to be signed with Don Buchwald, but I wasn't able to book enough high-paying work to let me throw my dayjob to the wind as a grip, and they got fed up with somewhat frequent scheduling conflicts. so we went our separate ways... so, now I'm more going for the part-time thing (though I fully agree I must present myself as a full-time VO to maximize my time and resources in this business).

Thanks again again for listening and for the support and advice!!
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ian,

I agree with Bob's points..it's very good! Uh, Buchwald?...You weren't maybe gonna let us know you weren't just beginning in this field ?? Talk about some missing information! LOL. By the way, IATSE grip or non-union?
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Demo Reel hot off the presses! Reply with quote

iannyc wrote:
Hey gang,

My audio technician friend informed me that you can rip audio files off of youtube

And then I found a bunch of spots I did were actually ON youtube

Hence... he mixed these up for a few shekles, thoughts?

https://soundcloud.com/ian-campbell-347703967/iantemple2017demo

cool

Sites for ripping from youtube:

www.listentoyoutube.com (a couple pop up ads but works great)

www.peggo.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: