VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT: Remember melodies?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: OT: Remember melodies? Reply with quote

My love for music, I think, is what first sparked my interest in radio broadcasting. What could be a better job than playing great music for people for four hours every day?

During the 1960s, the height of the Top 40 era, my musical favorites were the singles, of course. I stayed with Top 40 longer than others did, and didn't begin buying albums until my exposure to FM began to grow in the very early 70s. That being the case, I missed out on some great album tracks from the 60s.

Many of those tracks, I only recently learned, were those from Simon and Garfunkel. They made only five original studio albums together, ending their partnership in 1969 with the album whose title track is probably their signature song, the classic "Bridge Over Troubled Water."

When I listen to these albums now, I realize it wasn't just their wonderful harmonies (inspired by the Everly Brothers). Art Garfunkel has a great voice, range and control, and provided terrific accompaniment. But what I find most amazing now is Paul Simon's melodies. The tunes he crafted were intricate, joyful rides which, in my opinion, few other composers even came close to. He also chose unique instruments, and the production (including many well-known session musicians) was just outstanding.

So, if you've never heard Simon & Garfunkel other than the overplayed hits, I highly recommend doing your ears a favor and visit YouTube, where you can hear, in their entirety, those five classic albums and the wonderful melodies (and harmonies) on them:

- Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M.
- Sounds of Silence
- Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme
- Bookends
- Bridge Over Troubled Water

Search for the full albums, and try to find the ones uploaded by VEVO, as those files will have been made from the record label's masters, as opposed to the files made from a scratchy vinyl LP played on some guy's hum-laden off-speed turntable.

I really hope you enjoy this music as much as I do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: