VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Narration Demo
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigsvoicetalent wrote:
Philip. All I can do is apologize! Yours truly Crag.

No prblm. Just a lght hrtd way to make an imprtnt point.

Dave that is call Fleep.
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
Once I accepted that I had my own signature sound/cadence and that I should embrace it as my "unique selling point" or "market differentiator" things fell into place.

This is key. You have to be confident in, and comfortable with, who you are. After years spent in radio and even more spent un-learning that style myself, I'm coming around to this point finally.
VO-BB Member #59
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just jumping in to say LISTEN to all the people giving great advice. If you don't know who they are, find out, then listen again.

Also, take Philip up on his offer. He can seem a little scary (Philip I say this with the utmost respect, plus I think it's part of your charm anyway), but he's sincere. I think the first thing I did on the VO-BB after a first post very similar to your's was have a 1 hour Skype call with Philip. Best thing I could have done.

I was you 1 year ago nearly exactly. Had "experience" in what I thought was a related field. Came in here asking all the same questions, producing my own "demos". Then got summarily BLASTED by the industry pros. Look up posts done by me. It's a good laugh and you'll feel better about your experience so far.

I am by no means a seasoned pro yet, but thanks to the fine folks here, I am on my way, and more importantly avoided many of the pitfalls that could have sunk my career before it even started. For instance somebody telling me "Take down your demos". Great advice. Self produced demos can be picked out from a mile away. When you are ready, another key phrase. Hire someone for which that is their job. Chuck Duran, sure, but he's not the only one. Ask again for recommendations, later, much later, when you are ready.

Good luck! The VO-BB is the GREATEST community for VO. Just be prepared for the honest feedback...seems like you are.

Last edited by paulstefano on Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
craigsvoicetalent
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to let folks know that I wasn't being ignorant. I sent Philip a PM to graciously accept his offer of coaching. Thanks.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Paul said. And, by extension, what the wonderful peepages cited have said. Or perhaps Uttered... Yes, "uttered" seems more fitting for such fine and lofty personages. Like The Great (and Yes, Lofty) Philip...

What they uttered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: