VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here's how it should work

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Here's how it should work Reply with quote

A NOT so silly list for every voiceover.

1- Marketing is something YOU do not understand and you NEED to understand it.

2 - You fear social media and the power it gives every other voice over when you post something that promotes them so you pick those who are no threat to your career. Google disingenuous.

3- Your brand is not a slogan, a colour or the fact that you smell like a dumpster in Brooklyn. It's YOU, just you.

4 - If you have a Voice Over Agent they should be able to get you a job. If not, one of you has made a mistake. Any auditions are for fine tuning NOT list building.

5 - Your web Designer told you to write a blog and did not advise you on how to be interesting.

6 - If you work every day you are a freak in our business. If you NEED to work every day you need to charge more.

7 - Do not blame shift. Who is dragging the so-called voice over market down into the poverty wages league? Probably you, unless you do deals with people because there is so much money involved not so little.

8 - How many times have you missed a deadline or let someone down by simply not showing up? You would be amazed how many people do it and how it is always the fault of someone else or circumstances. If today is a "School Day" GO TO SCHOOL. Unless it is life threatening everything and everyone else MUST wait.

9 - Voice Over sessions with you are always a delight! That is not a compliment or a suggestion it is a COMMAND!

10 - Wealth is is not really about money and neither is success. Your wealth and success is about what you share not what you keep. Get this and everything else will simply fall into place.

Be you, you're amazing!
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#8 is a pet peeve of mine. SO MANY in the "creative" business (or "business") have such a hard time with this. i am a producer as well and as such i ONLY work with talent who deliver on time. if a talent does not deliver on time they are on a very short list. mandy, jason, paul, moe & many others have done back bends to meet my client's, sometimes unreasonable, deadlines and have my utmost respect. but more than that - they have my trust. THAT my friends is how you succeed.

Mandy Nelson
MMD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said this elsewhere - #2 - then "you" are not friends, true friends, with the right VO people. Surrounding yourself with people who like you for you and appreciate what you can bring to the booth will get you recommended to their clients, too. There are some lovely people out there who do just that and it makes for a happy world. Friends from this very board, male and female, have been recommending each other for years.

#6 is hugely important for one's sanity.

Thanks for this great list, Philip.

Manfillappsoc: The Mandy and Philip mutual appreciation Society. Who's in your network?

Have you seen my mic closet? ~ me to my future husband
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My absolute dearest friend who lives in Pennsylvania which is near Leeds, (Thank you Googlemaps) I think, once commented on how kind and generous I was to send clients in her direction.

"I don't do it for you I do it for them. THEY needed to know about you so I told 'em!"

Her work is faultless, ALWAYS. The fact that the money feeds her 11 children and pet White Tigers, Sunita, Raj and Dilip is but a happy bonus.

Piece of trivia. Her town is famous for having a one-armed Postman. I asked how he lost his arm. Herself just glanced at the sleeping Tigers and shrugged. Perhaps it happened before she moved in.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love 'em. They're AWESOME, like, totally!

Whereas Lizt sucks big time! Only a total toss pot writes his 1st Mephisto-Waltz to musically paint a vulgar scene in a village inn. Now there's someone who needs to get out more. To be fair to yer man he was part of a Franciscan Order at the time so may be getting out more was not an option.

"Brother Franz, what are you doing in there?"

"Writing my 1st Mephisto. I'll play it to you later!"

"Can you NOT!"

"Shouldn't you be worshipping Golf?"

"GOD!"

"Who's Rod?"

"Oh never mind!" under breath "Tw*t!"

"I HEARD THAT!"
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip, This is another amazing piece of advice. Did you know Darren lifted it and put it on facebook?

Just kidding, he gave you all credit.

Thanks so much for continuing to keep us all grounded (in between the fun stuff).

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: