VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do any of you actually switch mics?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackedvo wrote:

I tinker anyway, but even when I have something that sounds good, the devil in me (aka "me") thinks he can find something that's better

THIS!

I'm exactly the same way. I just came here after doing more window shopping thinking of posting a request for reviews on a particular mic.

My current situation is that my new booth is better at sound isolation than I thought. I have been using an AT875r because it helps to reject outside noise, which was still an issue in my old booth. So, to test the new noise floor I picked up an MXL 990 locally. Purely just because I know its pretty sensitive and would allow me to test for $50. I found there was no more leakage in of unwanted noise than with the AT875r! So, now of course my mind says "Oooh, maybe now I can use that expensive mic in my studio".

It may be a sickness, Smile

Last edited by paulstefano on Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: It is a sickness Reply with quote

Hello Paul,

People who have this disease are known as Mic-o-holics. Most frequently this disease occurs in males between the ages of 20 and 65 year old. Those afflicted with the disease are often found sitting alone in small, dimly lit, padded rooms speaking to themselves for hours.

Micoholism often begins with T.D., (Transducer Dissatisfaction). Mic-o-holics often attempt to explain away their addiction by saying, “I’m just trying to find the right mic, for my voice, in my space”.

Bad forms of T.D. can lead to a more serious condition known as G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), also known as, “having a Sweetwater tooth”.

While there is no known cure for Micoholism, it can be arrested with proper counseling, preferably by female significant others. Those with proper training repeat the phrases…

1. What ? You need ANOTHER microphone ? Don’t you have
_____ (fill in the blank) already ?

2. How many microphones can you use at one time ?

3. But I thought you said that was your last one ?

Joining M.A., (Mic-o-holics Anonymous) can also be of help.

By the way, anybody using the Sennheiser MKH 60 ?

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a thread that has meandered (quite legitimately) into the realm of micoholism, it's quite unfair to bring up the Sennheiser MKH 60 without actually providing the link... because you just know we're all going there Smile

So, as a public services, here it is.

BTW, I loved the "Sweetwater Tooth" line... unfortunately they don't carry the MKH 60... otherwise I would have linked to them rather than B&H Smile
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: It is a sickness Reply with quote

FinMac wrote:

HA. And yes. It's an expensive and beautiful disease. But Craigslist, the Facebook gear group, and a willingness to sell other precious things can assuage guilt (and mitigate wallet drain) effectively. I really wanted a U87, but was unwilling to spend the many Ks required. Then Guitar Center put a used one on consignment sale for $2200 Exclamation; I sold a beloved camera (obviously love counts less than lust in some cases) and the deal was done.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: It is a sickness Reply with quote

Jackedvo wrote:
FinMac wrote:

But Craigslist, the Facebook gear group, and a willingness to sell other precious things can assuage guilt (and mitigate wallet drain) effectively.e.

My issue isn't guilt anymore. I've somehow convinced the wife that I "need" to always be on top of my game in order to stay in the business. That, or she has just given up Smile

My issue, much like an alcoholic (great coined phrase Bish, micoholism) is needing to be saved from myself so I don't screw up a great sound! When all the most respected names in the business tell you the sound is great and you still tinker with it? That's a disease!
AlanTaylor
Contributor II

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that the price of the Neumann TLM 103 has dropped by $200 (at B&H and Sweetwater.) Now, I'm really tempted to get one....
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be an interesting trend with mics around the $1,000 street mark from Neumann/Sennheiser (in case you didn't know, they are one-and-the-same). Ignore list price... these are always a fantasy... the usual street price for the MKH416 is $999... but now, there's always a way to get it for $799... whether it's a BSW coupon or a "special deal" somewhere else, the street price for the 416 has been re-defined at $799 - never pay more. It now seems that they are doing the same with the TLM 103 (it's down to $899 instead of the usual $1,099 at all the retailers now).

Are they finding that sales of these particular mics eroded by the good $300/$500 microphones out there? Do they need to to bring the price down to capitalize on their "aspirational" status? I will admit that my 416 came as the result of it being a $799 deal. I know there are lots of people out there who would stop messing around with their AT-Whatevers, their CADs, and their Blues if they just had a 103... it's almost like, "I can stop looking now, I have what I need, I don't have to search anymore... my GAS is cured." I did the same with the 416. I'm done with searching for that elusive surrogate... I have the "real thing" now.

Anyone invested in a u87 or a Manley is outside this marketplace. If you are buying a Rolls Royce you don't particularly care about the marketing strategies that Ford or GM and farting around with... but for those that can't/won't contemplate >$3,500 for a microphone, these could be interesting times.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if GAS is every "cured". I thought I had solved my booth envy. Things do sound great 90% of the time. But right now, my neighbor is having his driveway replaced and there is a back hoe right outside the Whisper Room. So, I'm thinking, hmmm, what else can I do. Double walled enhanced upgrade?

We've also talked before about how there is a certain pride in feeling like you "beat the system" Certain folks, like me, will search forever, trying to find that magic mic that costs 1/2 the price of a 103, but sounds "nearly as good". Of course, I've spent the cost of a 103 many times over already, buying and selling other mics.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
There seems to be an interesting trend

It's a manufacturer's regular strategy for hardware lifecycles. (check the prices of a CD player these days compared to when they came out.)
Intro price, regular price, legacy price.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never sold a mic. I have a fine collection of <$500 mics, all boxed and sitting on a shelf. If I were to realize their value, I could probably get myself a u87. If I were to sell my old pre-ams as well, then there would be no "probably" about it.

... but then I'd want to spend another small fortune on the studio because the u87 can pick up a mouse fart at 500 paces. That being said... it's still something I'd like to explore Smile

Edit: Crap. I can get the u87ai (no shock mount because the Neumann shock mount is horrendously overpriced) for $2,900 ($3,200 list less 10% WoVO discount) at Sweetwater.

I hate you all... so does my bank manager Wink
AlanTaylor
Contributor II

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulstefano wrote:
Of course, I've spent the cost of a 103 many times over already, buying and selling other mics.

Me, too. I think it's time to bite the bullet and do it. Both Sweetwater and B&H have excellent return policies, so I can return it if it doesn't perform like I expect it will.
verbcrunch
Contributor III

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know about the Gold Digger - handy way to do apples to apples comparisons between mikes, instead of separate mic chains or plugging/unplugging cables. Level attenuation is especially handy for sake of comparison, some mics output hotter than others, as I discovered recently comparing a Gefell M950 with a Sennheiser 8040.. Wouldn't mind running two mics in the booth again, I do like being able to switch between shotgun & large diaphragm mics, but tend to just use one or the other.

Thanks for the info !
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: What did you think of the sennheiser Reply with quote

Jeff - what did you think about the sennheiser 8040 ?

Someone recommended it as a good alternative to the 416.

Your thoughts would be most appreciated Smile

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
AlanTaylor
Contributor II

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TLM 103 arrived today. Just gave it a test run. Wow! Now I see why it is so highly recommended.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Alan, on the 103!

For all you micoholics: have you seen the site Martin Mitchell's Microphones (https://martinmitchellsmicrophones.wordpress.com/)? Mitchell tests wonderful old (and new) mics, many broadcasting classics and some obscure (e.g, Soviet or specialized military) examples. Such fun! His investigations are meticulous and he posts sound samples. A treasure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: