VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internet Speeds.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
D Voice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Internet Speeds. Reply with quote

Currently getting around 80Mbps down, 90 Mbps up.

My building has a special offering a package that is measuring 90- 120 Mbps down, but only around 10Mbps up. (Will cut my phone/internet bill in half).

Is it worth it?
Would only 10Mbps UP be a problem as far as voicework, etc.?
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90M UP?? Who the hell is your provider?

I recently switched from DSL at ~8M/<1M to cable at ~20M/~6M (supposed to be up to 25/5). I've found the increase great, and haven't needed anything more, but I'm not pushing it with Source Connect Now, ipDTL, etc.
@RichMillerVO
D Voice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richvoice wrote:
90M UP?? Who the hell is your provider?
...I'm not pushing it with Source Connect Now, ipDTL, etc.

Domestic fiber optic connections at my home/office in Japan. My friend was getting 140Mbps (on her newer laptop) the other day.

[I would imbed the speedtest screen shots if I knew how to do that here in the forum].

Yes, I am wondering if SC or ipDTL or streaming would suffer at the lower Upload speed.
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Japan, that explains it. The US has some of the worst internet in the world.
@RichMillerVO
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consistency is the name of the game. Internet in the US is notoriously unstable. Especially cable, where the upstream speed varies according to how many users are hitting the line in a given neighborhood. There is FIOS, by Verizon and that has direct fiber connections to individual homes, but even that can have dips in speed based on the amount of users inside the home.

If you have a stable 10 mbps UP, and you only have a 1-2 devices on the network, then you would probably be okay. That still beats the pants off many DSL connections in the US.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have all be trained to look at numbers as "the bigger the better"... but in the tech field it's becoming less and less important. Do you remember back when we were all so interested in our computer's processor speed? It now seems that we have (in a lot of areas) reached the "enough" stage. How fast is it? It's fast enough.

Since I went cable (let's not get all nostalgic about bits of wet string and tin cans) my speeds have increased from (up/down) 3/10 to 10/30, and now, 30/100Mbps. I can honestly say that there has been no perceivable difference at any of the upload upgrade points from a business perspective. (yes, downloading and streaming of movies is better... but that's not the issue).

Real world example.
The 10Mb upload: Ten minutes of 24 bit mono wave files are approx 80MB, that 640Mb. In an ideal situation with no other bottlenecks on the network, protocol overheads, or whatever, that will take approx one minute (64secs) to upload to a client's FTP site.

Do you need anything (i.e. your current system) that provides uploads nominally 10x the speed of that? Is it imperative that you can upload one hour of raw audio in less than one minute and not six? Save your money 10Mbps is fine for file transfers and still comes under the heading of "bloody fast"... any of these new IP-based protocols (iPDTL, SC Now, etc) are served (more than) well by the lower speed.

Mini rant: I spent three decades in data communications and find the current speeds ridiculous (in a good way). The ability to stream high-quality media is great, but unless we are demanding that our Skype connection be able to send a 4K HD stream, then (for the most part) we are just playing a numbers game. Unless we are regularly producing and uploading HD video content, we just don't need a symmetrical 100/100 or the like... even in our VO business.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have around 5 upload speed and I use SC all the time with no issues. Also, it doesn't take terribly long to upload large files. I don't do video or GB size files much though.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between uploading audiobook chapters and eLearning narrations, I'm very grateful my FiOS connect gives me 75Mbps upload (as well as download) speeds. Source Connect is also rock solid. Personally, unless I had no choice, I would never go back to a slower upload speed.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A faster network is more robust, more fault tolerant, and less likely to induce latency in the live transfer of audio. As the availability of last mile fiber grows, and the backbones that support it spread, the likelihood of realtime high sample rate audio transfers grows as well.

I work with some facilities that already have gigabit pipes at their disposal, and the capabilities are amazing. But, they are colocated within shouting distance of the fiber backbones of the network. Today, a handful of cities have these resources, but it's coming, and soon.

Good riddance to twisted copper. I, for one, welcome our new digital overlords, and the potential they bring. Can't wait. Inoccent
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic, but relevant to the death of the copper networks. Today I received a letter from Sprint long distance service that as of June 2017, they will no longer offer long distance service for my legacy (ISDN) phone lines. They are moving to IP based solutions completely. No question, fiber has been the future for some time, but the end of copper is certainly starting to close in with increasing speed.
+1-724-613-2749
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobsouer wrote:
the end of copper is certainly starting to close in with increasing speed.

Maybe time to start a copper recycling biz?
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My internet speeds are appalling. I am finally upgrading (if you can even call it that) to a 7 Mbps DL/1 Mbps UL package. Has anyone ever tried working with Source Connect with a 1M upload speed connection? I think that is the minimum suggested spec, but worry that it would be so low that dropouts and glitches would be common.

bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew,

I used Source Connect with a 1M up connection about 10 years ago when I lived in Charlotte, NC and had a DSL connection for my Internet service there. It worked fairly well; but the only person with whom I was connecting for sessions had a BIG pipe, so that probably played a big part in why things went so well.
+1-724-613-2749
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob.

I've got my fingers crossed that it'll be viable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: