VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best VO conference?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeatherMasters
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Best VO conference? Reply with quote

I am planning to incorporate a VO conference into things next year, but am unsure which to choose. Since it will mean airfare/hotel etc, I want to make sure to choose wisely. So far it seems the top two choices would be wovocon, and faffcon. Unless I'm missing something.

Which do VO-BBers prefer?

www.heathermastersvo.com
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed WoVOCon a couple months ago, and I heard from several people that VO Atlanta was great as well.
@RichMillerVO
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of them for seeing friends and making new ones. None of them for content. All of them for finding real gems both in terms of information and people.

You will attend a conference as part of the problem or part of the solution. There are people who take copious notes but no real notice. Learn things that will make a difference to their business on Saturday and do nothing about it on Monday. They'll have fun but ignore the stuff they need to know because it isn't fun. They'll trust a slick penniless expert and ignore the shy millionaire. They accept everything they hear without a shred of supporting evidence.

The VO conference circuit has evolved to such an extent that there now exists a group of "same old, same old" speakers bringing the same tired message to a group of people who just want affirmation or somewhere to sleep off a hang over. If I wanted to travel and teach any ole sh*ite to VO people I would simply include mic time. Nothing better than getting someone in front of a mic to make a pointless point.

"Ok. Anyone wanna try using the Iranian Double Pause on a network local non broadcast international TV promo?"

So. Conference $495 + hotel $350 + food n drink $150 + flights $395 = $1390. What do you want for your money? You need to know your desired outcome and refuse to be distracted by the VO conference evangelists.

Ephesians 4:14 "That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

Thank you. We will now stand and sing the Voicoverists hymn -
"Smite them!"
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the conference business is getting very popular and they are popping-up all over the place (like a game of whack-a-mole) as people see a money-maker. I think Philip has slightly underestimated the cost... I budget $2,000 for a conference weekend... but maybe my bar bill is larger than it should be! For what it's worth, here's my breakdown of some that are available...

Voice... the original and, well... the original. Lots of newbies going to panels run by the the VO muckity-mucks. Lots of product being sold to lots of aspiring voice actors. All very "LA" and vacuous. I think this conference is no more because of Penny's retirement from the biz. Some will miss this one.

VO Atlanta... Gerald seems to have taken on the role of running "the biggest" of the VO conferences. It's well organized and has the usual panels and VO celebs in attendance. One difference is that he seems to want to embrace the politics of the business as well with panels and discussions about the business itself. He's a serious businessman and I'm sure this event will grow.

VO mid-pacific, Southern Arkansas VO Symposium, VO Fresno, etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum... These are a whole bunch of local conferences that try to serve their "community". They work on the principle that if you can get a couple of usual-suspect speakers and a hundred attendees, "we can put the show on in the barn" and everything will be fine. These things are popping-up like weeds. They will sort themselves out... the good will survive and the bad will flounder. The problem (or the good thing) with basement-dwelling VOs is that when you put one hundred together in a pressure-cooker, they will have a great time... sometimes despite the quality of the conference, rather than because of it. Expect new conferences to be announced monthly.... maybe even in Alaska!

WoVOCon... for members only, it's a hybrid conference where there are some "regular" speakers running classes, a lot of peer-led classes, and some WoVO house-keeping (board and committee reports etc.). Has a strong peer-to-peer flavor to it. It's growing, and as WoVO is answerable to its members, it will grow in the direction the members want.

Faffing... To me, the absolute best (and born out of the VO-BB in many ways). It's totally peer-to-peer for professionals only (no newbies, no panels, no usual suspects selling crap). You take away as much as you put in. Faffcon 8 (of 10) has just sold-out and it's restricted to one hundred attendees. Regulars are passionate about the whole peer workshop approach to everything. If you can get in (and I think Amy reserves 25% of the slots for first-thine attendees) this is the one to attend. Alternatively, FaffCamp (a little more structures and with open registration) follows a lot of the principles of FaffCon... watch for announcements.

Last edited by Bish on Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Karyn OBryant
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Peter said.

I'm saying that a lot lately.

www.karynobryant.com
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with Bish. And Faffcon is now so popular that not only did it sell out, it did so in the first five minutes.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear nothing but great things about Faffcon and wish I could attend. It's jus never worked out with my work schedule.

The only conference I've been an attendee of rather than a professional guest is Promax, which is not very vo heavy in it's agenda. A handful of vo actors attend, but for the most part this conference is for promo creatives and buyers. But this is exactly why smart vo talent who work in promo or wish to work in promo attend. It's a terrific opportunity to meet and network with the players who have the ability to hire voice talent for on air promo.

Which leads me to the original question of how one would decide which con is right for you. I think the first thing you need to do is strategically decide what you want out of your career. Don't be vague, be specific. For instance, Promax is specifically for promos. The actors who attend Promax specifically want to work in promos and should be prepared for the con experience. This preparation comes months before the conference.

The obvious ammunition one would need before attending is a top agent with a top promo department who can pitch/sell you before and after the conference. You also need a killer promo demo and terrific website. Don't even think about attending if you don't at least have these necessary tools.

But before you attend, you need to do your homework. Where does your voice fit into the world of promo? What networks? What cable channels? Of these networks and cable channels you are right for, which ones have current talent whose contracts are about to expire within the next year? Which ones have new programing that has yet to air that your promo voice is perfect for?? This is all information your agent should have. Weeks before the con, strategize with your agent as they plant the seed of your attendance to the conference with the appropriate buyers. Have a list of "must meets" and make every effort to meet, mingle, and party with these perspective employers. Once you've succeeded in meeting your must meets, then hit the rest of the buyers. You never know who might need you at some point in your career.

Once you return home, give your agent a progress report of your conference regarding whom you met, etc. Now they can do their follow up magic. But you aren't done with your work. Now hit social media and connect with every buyer you met so they will organically/electronically be a part of your day to day career. As will their existing peers and connections.

Now use this Promax example as your criteria for picking a vo con that is right for you. Go back to the laundry list of vo cons out there. Whom amongst the attendees and guests have the career you desire? Not just working in the business but actually have the specific career you want?? From full time audio books, national commercials, animated films and TV, to mastering the ability to work full-time in middle America with a thriving business that doesn't require top agents and all the bells and whistle that come with that. Find the conference that represents and invites the players you wish to be a part of. That's the con that is right for you.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're into Audiobooks, then APAC, the Audio Publishers conference is a must. The content is not the strongest, but ALL of the producers and publishers are there. And since audiobooks are an old school publishing business, it's all about relationships, friendships, drinking, and schmoozing.

There are some panels of mixed quality, but the real value is meeting the people who can hire you at the mixers, socials, and parties.
HeatherMasters
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the helpful info. I think I will shoot for Faffcon next year and hope to make it into a first timer slot. One of my primary objectives is definitely to meet as many of you lovely people as I can.

Bob, your strategy posts amaze me. I am taking down notes, and taking steps to apply it to my scenario. Thank you.

Jeff, I most definitely am into audiobooks as it so far seems to be the most steady, reliable stream of income for me. So now I will have to look into that one as well.

So, based on what others have said, I have a new, related question. It seems that a major perk to attending a conference is the chance to mishmash with publishers, agents, and associated bigwigs. If that is so, and hundreds of people are there to do the same thing...how does that work? I'm picturing groupies stalking the "gotta meet" person. One person after the next hounding whoever..."Look at me!! Notice me!!!" That sounds painful. I have no idea how to "network" and the images I've conjured in my head give me the creeps..

www.heathermastersvo.com
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone will have to correct major errors here.

My impression is that VO conferences and weekends aren't filled with actual employers. They're filled with want-to-be-employees and people that claim they can get you employed by someone else. Then of course there's Faffcon, which always struck me as a fun time where you actually can just spend a weekend not talking, just listening.

Don't go to VO cons in the hopes of scoring work or relationships that yield work, but rather to talk and learn from people that share your profession. The APACs, promo events, etc, are for actually finding working relationships.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda agree with Yonie! The several cons I've attended where there were indeed agents were not A list agents. You don't see Atlas, SBV, CESD, DPN, Buchwald, etc. You might see agents local to the market of the con, but if you are looking for a con that represents those "notch above" buyers, I've yet to see that represented at any vo con.

That said, I have met some really terrific vo agents from around the country at vo cons. Jeffrey Umberger comes to mind. Bright, passionate about his actors, personable, and driven. Wish I could bottle him and bring him to LA!

Now, I also rarely see attendees interested in that "notch above" career. And let's be honest, the majority pursing vo today are the ones attending these cons, seeking to network with other like people and just have the kind of vo business where they have consistent work. This is why I hear so many great things about Faffcon. It seems to me the promoters of these events have found that perfect fit for everyone pursuing vo, from the working to those interested in the ideas and mysteries of pursuing vo.

I do not think that every con needs to come with buyers who have the ability to hire. Sometimes, just spending a weekend with like people, sharing their passions, their strategies, their fears, and their successes makes for a productive con. Major corporations will schedule an annual retreat for their employees to bond, share, get to know each other better, in an environment outside the office where they can let their hair down and make progress planning the next several months or upcoming year. We do this every year with the board of Governors at The Television Academy, and it is beyond beneficial.

Philip touched upon a very important point. Many who attend a conference, be it vo or any professional conference, haven't a clue what to do after to benefit their career. Or, they might be in a room filled with people to network with and they haven't a clue how to get the conversation going without looking desperate or needy. These do not represent a lack of vo skills, these represent a lack of specific business and people skills. Which is why I suggest every vo actor check out a local college, be it community or extension classes at a university, and take classes in business and marketing. You could be the most brilliant talent in the world, but if you don't know how to engage in a conversation or follow up with future business prospects, you are spinning your wheels.

Some of the vo cons I've attended I myself have felt so uncomfortable as I am ambushed by needed and desperate actors, throwing their business cards and demos in my face. I don't know if they thought I was a buyer, or just anyone who could possibly do anything for their career. But it was in a word, pathetic. Even if I were a buyer, this is not how to initiate a business relationship.

There are several books I can recommend on the art of communication in a social or business situation:https://www.amazon.com/Talk-Practically-Anybody-About-Anything/dp/0440138841https://www.amazon.com/Talk-Anyone-Anytime-Anywhere-Communication/dp/0517884534

Now, back to the cons, for years I have been researching and contemplating the idea of organizing a true "notch above" vo con. Professionals would include:
- top agents from the major markets
- top casting directors
- advertising producers and execs
- network promo producers
- reps from SAG-AFTRA
- game and animation producers and directors
- demo producers
- social media experts
- television network executives
- audio book publishers
- documentary narration producers
- representatives from toy companies, such as Mattel, Hasbro, etc.

Seminars and workshops to include:
- managing your P&H
- investing in your retirement from day one and forward
- how to turn a non union job union
- advertising trends today and in the future
- animation and game genres: how to adjust your audition for each intended audience
- advancing your vo career through social media
- how to get involved in the union/committees
- understanding and breaking down union work contracts
- how to agent your agent
- how to track down missing residuals
- who's who at the union and how to reach them immediately
- Panel discussion with group ADR coordinators
- create a career roadmap with tangible strategies to continuously build upon a successful vo career

I am well aware that this type of event would not be attended in the numbers of other vo cons. This would be the con for those who want to be and be amongst the A list of vo. Until the internet, this was everyone. But the internet has made vo extremely vast with a very large spectrum. I've yet to see anyone organize a vo conference for that very far end of the spectrum representing the A list. Perhaps this is because many feel the A list doesn't need a conference, which is hogwash. Apple. Google, Paramount/Disney/WB Studios have annual retreats. Many vo A listers are falling behind as they cannot keep up fast enough with the ever evolving landscape. Many A listers spent so many years just working and making money, they haven't a clue how to adapt to today's vo landscape. Many A listers are so isolated in their home studios they need face time with they buyers they work with daily, as well as an opportunity to meet buyers they've never worked with. The most important thing the A listers need is to educate on how to continue to stay there and even build from there. It is very common, and very easy to coast for years when your career hits a certain high. This is a recipe for disaster. The networks and the studios spend big bucks investing in the futures of the entertainment industry. Vo actors need to do the same thing.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple question is:
Do you want to go to a conference to network, meet people who can lead you to work... and maybe get on someone's roster?
or
Meet peers, hone your craft, learn technique and some business skills, etc.?

Most conferences focus on one approach or the other. Some are hybrids... but there can be no useful comparison between Promax and FaffCon. They have completely different objectives and target audiences, and therefor expectations should be managed accordingly. The term "conference" is such a broad church... you need to set your own parameters and choose accordingly.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
hone your craft

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He meant to say, "Take your career to the next level." Ninja
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I actually meant to say (edited from first draft) was:
"Drink heavily and swap war stories"

... but I decided to be a gnat's more bidness-like and profeshunal abaht it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: