VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, what's up with the digital audio recorders?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tren Hester
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: So, what's up with the digital audio recorders? Reply with quote

I came across the Layla and Gina series by Echo. Can someone tell me the basics (and only the basics) of digital audio recorders?

Specifically, the pros/cons for basic voiceover work with windows-based Adobe Audition.

I definetely appreciate any advice on home studio gear.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How simple do you want it?

The real basics are: Layla and Gina are audio cards. If you already use Audition, then you already have something to input your audio into the computer - a sound card.

Layla is used for multi-tracking (6 analog inputs/8 analog outputs - Echo Layla3G), and the Gina3G is a two I/O card. Both need PCI slots INSIDE your computer - unless you wish to pay extra for another adapter to make them Firewire capable. Which translates to you could use the devices with your laptop.

The Gina would be a semi-costly bet for VO, but would easily interface with Audition. Layla would be - very expensive.

DAR's are a standalone device which oftentimes come with a small mixer and may use a hard drive or MMC/SD card as a storage medium. Many are able to convert the digital file you have recorded to several different types of formats such as MP3 - some do not have this capabilty.

DAR's are usually a cute toy for the bored musician. The reason - they are capable of some multi-track capabilities, and have limited editing funtions/interfaces - many are unlike what you are used to with Audition and are fairly expensive for what you get. Musicians sometimes feel that the more they spend - the more they get.

Could one use a DAR for VO? Yes. However, my personal experience would tend to say get a laptop and a Firewire or USB soundcard and you will feel more comfortable and will likely enjoy a smaller dollar amount to receive better results for your needs.

Soundcards are available which operate with USB connections and as mentioned earlier - Firewire (IEEE 1394) from companies such as: PreSonus, Edirol/Roland, MOTU, DigiDesign, M-Audio, Tascam, RME, SoundBlaster, E-Mu, TerraTec, etc.

That - is the "basics", as requested. We could go into multitrack recording, quality of microphones, sampling, MIDI, and a whole myriad of other areas of the audio world, but there is not enough space on this forum for that kind of detail.

Remember the "KISS" system - Keep It Simple Silly - it a great acronym when it comes to your pocketbook and your business world of Voice Overs.

Frank F
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: