VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips on a script read in almost inaudible screaming?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeatherMasters
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Tips on a script read in almost inaudible screaming? Reply with quote

Hey all,

I got an amazing job which is just so out of my league and I want to triple check all my bases to make sure I give the client a top notch product.

I already gave him half of the audio files, and got paid for them, but the next script he wants to send me involves screaming the lines. Never done this on a mic before, so just want to check a couple things.
First, tech wise, is turning the gain down the only adjustment to make?
Second, I'm voicing a character, but it seems to me that screaming at the top of my lungs (they are short lines, not paragraphs or anything) will pretty much take any pitch, tone, or inflection out of the picture. Am I right?
Lastly, I'll take any other tips ya got! I don't want to full out practice this quite yet, as I still have other projects to work on, and don't want to risk shredding my vocal cords until someone pays me handsomely to do so Smile

Thanks!

www.heathermastersvo.com

Last edited by HeatherMasters on Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some screaming the other day for an audio book. I just pulled back and off axis, adjusting my position relative to the mic. I didn't change the gain setting.

*shrug* I spent maybe 5 minute or so trying different things and checking the results. Mics can take a lot of SPL, and you're worried you can always engage a -10db pad (that's what they're really for, loud sounds and instruments)

Although, I wasn't using one of my large diaphragm condensers, I was using an RE-20, which can take a lot of abuse like that.

I suggest if you turn the gain down, make sure you remember where you had it prior ... Smile

I've also used my hand in creative ways to "throw" my voice around, for one book I did it sounded really awesome and the author liked it.
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouting or otherwise straining the voice can create problems; some that may just require a bit of vocal rest afterwards, others that may be actually damaging and require professional attention.

I did a job a few months ago where I was projecting very strongly. I don't think it was quite to the level of shouting, and the script consisted of only about a dozen or so lines. But repeated takes of each line was enough that, after completing the job, I needed several days of vocal rest. It was obvious that I had gone too far.

Straining your vocal cords and the muscles of your throat is really not much different than straining other muscles in your body. You're taxing them beyond the norm. And your voice is your money-maker.

So, while I will no longer take on jobs that put my voice at risk, those who regularly voice video games featuring intense drama and action know how to exert properly. If I were in your shoes, I would first – at the very least – check with such a person, and even an ENT (ear, nose, throat) doctor who specializes in the voice.

todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paging db cooper -- db cooper to the answer desk, please.

HeatherMasters
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Mike. It's always helpful to be reminded to be considerate of the physical parameters. I have been trained to scream, and feel pretty comfortable with the mechanics and technique, but I've never been asked to scream words which were so out of control as to be "almost inaudible" so in my head I"m thinking through how that should sound. I absolutely want to care for my voice, and am planning days off post recording, and because I don't want to damage any more than necessary, I want to get these files right the first time. Right now, I am planning to just shoot off a file of the first line I do-make sure that's what he's looking for-before I record the whole script and have to do a retake.

Thanks again for putting the health of my voice in the forefront of my mind Smile

www.heathermastersvo.com
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heather—
Screaming technique is completely contingent on the product.
Game?
Audiobook?
Toy?

Let's talk. my email is DB@DBCooperVO dot com.

Screaming is my business.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about we talk about it publicly? I'm sure others would like to know, too.

For example, in an audiobook, you don't actually scream. Your raise your voice and add stress to it. But that's it.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to your Audiobook scream. It's almost as if the less voice you hear, the louder the perceived yell/scream.

And I'd be glad to talk about this publicly.

For instance, yes, you need to stay in character. Your character's voice has an attack and decay that will affect shouts and screams.

But I really need to know more about what we're talking about.
Like: why are the characters yelling/screaming?
That affects your performance.
HeatherMasters
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is awkward. Deirdre, your reply confused me because I sent you a message, but apparently I left off the VO, and sent the email to some innocent bystander. I re-sent it Smile

As for discussing it publicly, I'm all for it, but am hesitant to share details because the project is still in production and the creator goes to great lengths to build suspense by being very cryptic in his media, so I don't want to overstep my bounds.

Really, though, its the idea of "almost inaudible screaming" which has me scratching my head. I will typically pull back while trying to keep the intensity, but this one has me feeling like maybe it should be all out top of the lungs. Is that EVER what they really want?

www.heathermastersvo.com
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
+1 to your Audiobook scream. It's almost as if the less voice you hear, the louder the perceived yell/scream.

Kind of like the way the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman depicted them running really fast by showing them in slow motion?
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right.

To keep folks up to date about this project, the character is a doll/android of sorts.
Here's what I said about the scream request in offline correspondence

Quote:

Anybody asking for “screaming at the top of their lungs” doesn’t really know what they are asking for. (addendum: unless the character is dying in a fire or an animal/monster attack or the like)

Why does the character scream? is it rage?
You can get an “almost inaudible screaming” just by using the Japanese rage voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ5LyBQAT0E

The Minotaur at : 10.
They just add grit or gravel to an urgent voice. It's a very intense mode of speech. That’s the kind of “screamy” thing you can get away with for this Character.

I believe "almost inaudible" means "unintelligible". The Scream script may give more info.

Hey Heather, I'm serious about a quickie scream lesson. Just let me know.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We talked about air velocity, how to create the cannon of air that comes from your diaphragm, tipping your head back like St. Lemmy of Motorhead to keep your throat from getting raw, separating "dust" and "gravel".

My favorite kinda teaching. Smile
HeatherMasters
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was mind blowing. Such precise and clear instruction for me to practice. And to watch her come out with a terrifying scream which didn't even sound humanly possible, at the drop of a hat, like it was nothing...It was amazing!

It is remarkable to me that this is the same woman whom I've heard voice documentaries, with a voice that sounds so classy and well bred, and then to hear her become something to the opposite extreme so easily...I'm just speechless...well, except for the babbling about how incredible it was Laugh

www.heathermastersvo.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use character motivation - Imagine your reaction on learning some bounder and cad has sunk your MASSIVE YACHT!
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a character like that, a female who is called upon to be instantly ragey -- I've developed a sort of whispery growl (hard to describe) that doesn't require damage to the throat. And when she yells, I take DB's advice (without knowing I was doing so). That vid is great!

c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: