VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Listed with an Agent, Best Practices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bish. I did what Bob suggested. I sent them the other demos and said do with them what you like. They had requested me to send them demos to begin with so I just treated this as in addition.

No requests have been made at any point to be put on Voicebank. Letting them make that call
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to update those interested in such things.

One agency has now uploaded everything to Voicebank. The studio produced demo, and all my personally produced ones.

One agency uploaded ONLY the audiobook demo I produced.

One agency has uploaded nothing.

So, basically, I'm as confused as ever. I have no idea what any of them are thinking.

I'm going to apply the same method I have been told to apply to auditions. Send it and forget it.
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or... why not just ask them what they are thinking? I mean, these are people that you're supposed to have a working relationship with, right?
@RichMillerVO
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richvoice wrote:
Or... why not just ask them what they are thinking?

I was a little gun shy based on Bish's comments about some agents getting snippy about Non-Agents, poking around Voicebank.

I've clearly been doing just that, but I don't want to throw it in their faces!
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voicebank is a public site/resource. Smart actors always lurk it as it's an opportunity to research what agents in every market demand from talent when it comes to their demos and marketing. No legit agent will ever tell a talent they resent them surfing the talent/agents on voicebank.

I'm not a mind reader, but I can only imagine they posted the demos they liked the best. Nothing more to read into this.

But you can absolutely inquire with them if you aren't sure why certain agents only posted certain demos. Perhaps they might tell you they feel the other demos aren't competitive in their market. Demos, like acting, are subjective. One person may love a demo where another thinks the actor should go into mime. That's show biz!!!

But the bottom line is, you are hiring them to sell you. You need to give them the proper product to sell. The getting of the agent is harder than the getting of the job. But you need to agent your agent. You are in charge of your career. Specific career strategies and goals will get specific returns.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, that helps. Perhaps I too should stop trying to read minds and just talk to people.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite Bob's comments about it being OK, as a new member of the roster I would still be very nervous of being seen as micro-managing and becoming a royal PITA. Build the relationship a bit first. Respond quickly and professionally to the opportunities proffered. There is nothing wrong with having a dialogue with your agent(s)... in fact, you should... I'm just concerned that some may think it's too much, too soon.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing about agents... a VO friend of mine is with DPN, arguably the top voice agency in L.A. He politely told me I needed a very natural, "me" read up front in my new demo. I'm sure he got this from his agent there and one of his coaches. So I went to VoiceBank and listened to the beginning of the last 50 or so men's commercial demo reels at DPN for magical guidance.

Only 2 of the 50 had anything approaching a natural opening read. Just 2. So even the best agency may not push you to be trendy, or to be your best. And many lesser agents don't work intelligently for you at all. With most agencies most of the work is up to you.

Bon chance,

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good point, Bruce. The same can be said about animation demos from top talent with top agents.

Here's why. They are working....a lot! And those who work a lot don't spend the time updating their demos because, well, they are working. I'm not saying this is smart, but it is what it is. Logic tells you that you'd work more with more contemporary demos. I know many, if not most, of the top LA actors who haven't updated their demos for years. (I'm guilty of this myself)

It's actually those who seek top agents, those either at the beginning of their career or wishing to take their career to the next level, who need the best demos. They need to prove and sell themselves to the DPNs/CESDs/Atlas Talents/SBVs of the world.. Those at the top of their game/career don't.
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading this thread since its inception and have laid low, but just wanted to offer a couple of my thoughts to Paul:

#1 - Congrats on the listing and agency representation so far

#2 - Now, quit overthinking it and move on towards working on your craft, getting training, getting better demos (WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT!) and digging up business. Your agents will send you leads either when they think you're a good fit, OR they'll send them out to you in an enormous batch with every single other talent on their roster. Agents are a "nice-to-have" for those of us who aren't blessed enough or talented enough to be swimming with the big fish in L.A., N.Y., or Chicago, and you CAN get some nice work from them. But put all that to the back of your thought processes and work on the other stuff that needs working on, that YOU can control. I get the impression that right now you're expending a lot of time, effort and energy on the agent thing and it can probably be better used in those other areas I listed above.

Best wishes.

www.voicebyscott.com
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Bob said, commercial demos nowadays will get you an agent. After that, they will sit unlistened to unless it's by another talent. According to agents of mine, commercial demos have become useless in regards to clients. As we all know, clients in the States have become accustomed to receiving auditions for each job. According to one agent, the only exception to this new way of business is for political demos.

Now, I will out myself here, Bruce. The only reason I wanted to hear an authentic read was out of curiosity. It is true, that style of read is very popular with Millenial producers, but I love your voice and wanted you to explore that side of your skillset. See it as Dan having playtime with Bruce's voice. Wink
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
As Bob said, commercial demos nowadays will get you an agent. After that, they will sit unlistened to unless it's by another talent. According to agents of mine, commercial demos have become useless in regards to clients.

Weelllll, that's true in some cases. But often an agent pitches the commercial demo to get their actors the opportunity to audition. Voicebank is a free for all. And even then, you are competing often with thousands for a tiny lil radio spot.

When an agent has to pitch their client to get them the chance to read, the competition is usually smaller. No, the demo is very often used as a tool for the agent.

Not all agents are created equal. Some are order takers, who will sign any talent who submits to them, crossing their fingers that someone books. They don't care who, they get 10% no matter which of their clients book the gig. Other agents, the better ones, are more picky about who reads for what. They think overall career rather than job to job. They strategize on behalf of their clients. They wine, they dine, they sell. And a part of that selling is by way of the demos.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
Weelllll, that's true in some cases. But often an agent pitches the commercial demo to get their actors the opportunity to audition. Voicebank is a free for all. And even then, you are competing often with thousands for a tiny lil radio spot.

When an agent has to pitch their client to get them the chance to read, the competition is usually smaller. No, the demo is very often used as a tool for the agent.

Agreed, I was mainly referring to demos listed on Voicebank.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So was I! Voicebank is what agents use to pitch their client's demos.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again everybody. An embarrassment of riches as always!

FWIW, I have kind of moved on. I've been in a new coaching program for a few weeks, and next step is to market the heck out of myself to get that funnel full of business. The agencies are sending me things and I'm working on those when they do.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: