VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Listed with an Agent, Best Practices
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Listed with an Agent, Best Practices Reply with quote

Hello Everybody,

I was fortunate to get listed with an Agent today. Well, soon. They say I'll be on Voicebank by the end of the week.

My question is, what is the best way to publicize, this? I was talking to one actor who said put just "Has representation" on a website, card etc.

Is that enough? Should I go ahead and list the agency? So far its a "non-exclusive" deal so I'm really just on their roster.

Part of me wonders if I should just not mention it at all (other than here of course).

Any input would be much appreciated

thanks

Paul
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how our Dan does it:

http://www.dannachtrab.com/contact/
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Deirdre. Do you think it's silly to list 1 though on a website?
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agents are your partners in business. They are your advocates and you should encourage new clients to work through them. A good agent will remove the awkwardness of negotiations and allow you to build a relationship in a more personal manner with your client. They also provide a good buffer to keep lowballers away and attract a higher grade of prospective clients.

Now, being this is your first agent: I would hold off for a while and get a feel for how they represent not only you, but themselves before you promote an alliance.

Sorry for the brevity. On my cell phone. I could easily write a few chapters about this. Wink
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good call Dan, thanks. I do know it's reputable company, even representing some other VO-BBers, but it's worth seeing how it works out with me, not only for my sake, but for theirs.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:

Now, being this is your first agent: I would hold off for a while and get a feel for how they represent not only you, but themselves before you promote an alliance.

)

Okay, so now I have 2 as of today. I forgot to mention these are both "non-exclusive" listings. Does that make a difference as to weather or not I mention them publicly or on my website?
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how I work with my agents.

We work together. They're not my sole source of work, but they find me work that was not on my radar. (on camera, national stuff, etc.)

I have them listed on my website and on my composite card.

Their regions overlap a little, but as of yet, that hasn't been an issue as they seem to have different client bases.

My goal is to keep myself busy, and if there's anyway I can help my agent keep busy, it's a win-win. I strive to be on their mind, just as I do with my regular clients. I guess I treat them pretty much the same; shout outs, occasional gifts, holiday and birthday wishes. They do work for me, but I don't lose site of the idea they're in it for the money. The more I make, the more they make.

So ya, talk em up, do good work and get more work.

That's my .o2¢

www.monksvoice.com
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say this above: Congrats!

I've always seen agents as markers of career growth and gatekeepers. "Only the worthy shall pass!" As you move forward you will have to let some go, since they may not offer opportunities worth your current market value. But, you will gain new ones that will offer jobs you only once dreamt about.

Now here's a bit of advice to keep in your back pocket: always remain on good terms with you agents. Both of the agencies listed on my page above came into my life on the recommendations of former agents. Be honest. Always take the high road. Never try to undercut them. And provide them with reasons to advocate for you. (read this)

paulstefano wrote:
... both "non-exclusive" listings. Does that make a difference as to weather or not I mention them publicly or on my website?

Non-exclusive is the preferred choice. It means you are free to work with anyone you want. However, if the agent gets you work you must honor that and continue to work with that client through that agency. Personally, if an agent presents me with a contract of exclusivity, I would be very hesitant. It's a trust issue for me. A handshake agreement is all that's necessary.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies so far. Really helpful. If you have more insight, I'd still love to hear it.

One thing about Dan's comments. A handshake is all it takes. That scares me. Is that just the way it is on a non-exclusive deal?
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's truly all that's necessary. They do their job and you do yours, you both get paid. This is why you should only work with reputable agencies. If you hear any rumblings about an agent, the rumours are most likely true.
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest not worrying about either situation. Non-exclusivity? No problem, you can work with whoever you want (just making sure that you act professionally and ethically in all situations, as Dan-O suggested). Exclusive contract? No problem, as long as the exclusivity is reasonable (e.g., "within a 100 mile radius" as opposed to "within the continental U.S.") and the contract is for a reasonable time period (e.g., one year) and gives you as many rights as the agent in terms of termination.

Be happy. Smile
@RichMillerVO
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whom are you publicizing to and where? What's your point to publicize?

......there are better answers to this. Just curious yours. And who is the agent???
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob. Just my website. Maybe not the correct words. I just wanted to be able to list the names of the agents as a point of contact.

Being new to this aspect of the biz, I wasn't sure if an agent would be mad at me if I first, listed their contact information at all and
second, Had multiple agents listed.

I've seen varied approaches, from people who have a list of 7 to none at all.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemme guess: DeSanti
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not all agents are created equal. There are some whom if you list might hurt more than help. There are others that if you list and have a bad demo, their repping you trumps that bad demo.

Bottom line is this. We hire our agents. They sell us. If you want them to sell you, the buyers need to know who they are. So if you think their clout is worthy of promoting you then post em on your site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: