VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TLM 102 or Rode NT1 mod
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: TLM 102 or Rode NT1 mod Reply with quote

Happy Holidays, exalted gearheads!

I have a 2014 Rode NT1 that I was looking to get modded by Michael Joly. But recently I saw a Craigslisting for a used TLM 102. Both can be had for about 350.00 incl. shipping. I know some members here have had mic mods from Joly and might be able to weigh in. All thoughts welcome and appreciated!
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joly mods are excellent, but I don't know if he mods the NT1. He does mod the NT1-A, but they are different mics.

Which model do you have ?

Don't think the new NT1 needs a modification.

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for chiming in, Scott!

I have the new 2014 NT1. He does have a mod for it, but it's fairly new, so there are no reviews yet. Does look pretty sweet though, haha.

Brian in Charlotte
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Joly modded my NT1-A and it performs excellent. I like it much better than my old Neumann TLM103, as crazy as that "sounds". On the NT1-A Joly has a 3 micron and 6 micron diaphragm. If you are prone to sibilance, request the 6. He is extremely professional and the process is very smooth. The mod simply entails replacing the diaphragm and head basket of the unit, I believe.

Happy New Year
Twitter.com/TheVoiceofBrian
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank ya, sir! Happy New Year!
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Joly mod NT1a for a while and ended up moving on. I personally did not feel like it was great on my voice and I've used U87s in studio that did sound great. I switched to a 416 and like it way more. Self noise on the NT1a was marvelous and it worked great for a few years, but I started to dislike the perceived level of "grunge" that I was getting in the mids.

I have discovered that Michael uses a self branded version of the Mic Parts RK-87 capsule ($120), 3 or so components to EQ the circuit (maybe $5) and the headbasket (probably $20).

So, if you like the sound of the mic it could be a great fit and does sound better than stock, but if you are looking for a U87 clone this really isn't it. There is a guy on eBay that sells U87 clones (legit 100% hand made, reverse engineered circuits that are probably miles closer to the original) with the same capsule that Joly uses for $550. I doubt they sound identical to a vintage U87, but I'd also bet they are WAY closer than the Joly mod. I personally was going to get one, but the 416 has been good to me, so I decided to just stick with what works.
Brian in Charlotte
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, I will say that in my testing, the mic pre plays even more of a roll with the MJE NT1-A. In my particular set up in my room, the Avalon M5 does not work well with the MJE for some reason. Previously I used a Black Lion Audio modded Digi003R and the MJE NT1-A sounded wonderful on it. However when I run it through the Avalon, I got what you might call a "grungy" kind of sound from it (much to my surprise). The upgrade from stock on the NT1-A is night and day, if that is what someone is looking for. My 416 w/Avalon is my main go-to system. 416 has been my main mic for about 12 years now. My current Focusrite Clarett unit pairs well with the MJE mic.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Brian and Jason for your thoughts! This is huge!

I also have a 416, but It`s not my favorite mic. It`s noisier than I was expecting, and while it gives me a nice low end, it can seem harsh sometimes. I guess I`m still working on ideal placement.

Man, ever since my MK4 went kaput, the search for MY mic has been all-consuming! The NT1 has served me well as an immediate replacement, but now seems like as good a time as any to audition mics. I`ve got a CAD e100s set to arrive in a couple weeks, and a mic check with George Whittam scheduled soon. I`ve considered adding a Neuman into the mix as well because they`re so damn ubiquitous. Eager to hear his suggestions.

If it helps, I`m currently using the Audient ID14 (I prefer not to use external pres, but if I start, the M5 is at the top of the list, especially that sexy black and blue number!)
Brian in Charlotte
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Placement for the 416 is obviously key. There are 2 basic positions that I've found that work and based on others I know that use one, it's pretty close to being a standard placement. In my booth on my voice here's how I have it set:
-About 6" away
-About 2 O'clock
-Tip about nose height pointed down at upper chest

Most have it set this way:
-In front and Overhead 6-10" away
-About Forehead height
-Pointed down at chest

It's the #Voiceover Unicorn" position, I like to call it.

I know a guy, Steven Jay Cohen who had a CAD e100 and loved it.

When you say the 416 is "noisy", what's happening? Should not be noisy at all. My noise floor (in a booth of course) is about -56dB

One trick you can try for the harshness is this: In your box the 416 came with, there is a printout of the spectrum from testing. It will show the bump in the area you are probably getting the harshness from...perhaps test a bit with EQ that down to a flatter response.

Also, another thing you may want to be aware of, if you are not already, the slots on the side of the mic do pick up sound, so if you ever get some weird sound, it could be from a direct reflection into the slots...so try placing the slots horizontal (which is normal) or vertical.

That said, I can tell you from 12 years experience and thousands and thousands of hours on that mic, there is a difference you can really notice with the slightest of movement. For example, someone with a deep voice can have that sitting out in front 10" away pointed at their chest and it's awesome. Clarity with fullness! Somebody like me has to come in a few more inches. But when you do that, pointing at your chest can be tricky as it will can introduce some muddiness.

Try this test:
-Get a short paragraph ready to record and make sure you can say it as close to the same way each time as possible.

-Place 416 in front, overhead at forehead height about 8" away pointing at your chest. (Make sure you know it's pointing at your chest either by a pen-light laser or use your phone to take a pic from the side...you want to know for sure you are where you think you are)

-Start recording, but before voicing the paragraph, "slate" mic position.

-Secondly, do the same thing, but this time move the mic in to 6".

-Third, point the mic at your chin this time and repeat the above sequence.

-Fourth, move mic to a 1o'clock or 2o'clock position and try out the distance/direction from there.

By testing around this area, you may find a spot that will work.

If you check out videos of George Del Hoyo, Ben Patrick Johnson or even Joe Cipriano using one, you can get an idea of how they use it.

All the best to you,
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Brian! If you don't mind, here's a sample of the noise, as well as VO with the noise edited out. Mic was suspended from the ceiling using a Stage Ninja scorpion clamp, about 8" pointed at my upper chest.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzthmm0ae0vnsut/416RoomTone.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gt5ztgsfm7pzua1/SeanDaeleySTLThemeIt%27sTime.mp3?dl=0
Brian in Charlotte
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean, feel free to email me at Brian @ the voice of brian dot com
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, sir!
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdaeley17 wrote:

Thank you so much, Brian! If you don't mind, here's a sample of the noise, as well as VO with the noise edited out.

I gather you are a bit excited with this latest sound and the mic placement. The sample does sound good.

Noise is a recording is BAD. But NO NOISE in the final product sometimes is not good. Just for grins I took the recordings you posted today and tried a trick with them that I have been doing lately for narrations. I took your room tone and reduced the gain 7.5 dB. Then I did a "paste mix" where the voice and the reduced noise were mixed for a final product. If you don't have "paste mix" available in your DAW, let me know and I will send you file.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, Vernon. I don't know if Twisted Wave or Studio One have a paste mix function, I'll have to check it out (really wish I didn't have to upgrade to el capitan to use the latter, though! Fie on you, Apple!)

Thank you for the compliment! And Thank you for the email the other day!
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian in Charlotte wrote:
Sean, feel free to email me at Brian @ the voice of brian dot com

Sean, Brian, if you wouldn't mind keeping what you can of your discussion in the thread, I'd really appreciate it. I'm enjoying the read!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: