VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Studio Build: It is Finished!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Studio Build: It is Finished! Reply with quote

Last June I posted that we had purchased a home with an outbuilding that was a four car garage. I was planning on making one third of it my office / studio and I had a lot of questions. This was the garage as we saw it when they were cleaning to move out.

And this was my plan...

Well thanks to all who gave advice, and with help from a lot of places, I've been blessed with an awesome new office, and I wanted to share the finished product.

Standup workstation, with a drafting chair if the project is large or I feel like sitting

Line of sight from the booth to the monitor

A closer look at the booth. All walls are resilient channeled with rock wool and green glue. It's REALLY quiet.

I went out and bought a table saw. Figured the price I would have paid for a podium I could make it myself and it would pay for the table saw. I think it turned out pretty well for a rookie. Stand up work area with the preamp and headphone gain adjustable from inside the booth. And as you can see, with the monitor, I'm now paperless with the ability to make edits on the fly.

And a place to 'not work'.

Everything is made by hand, desk and audio rack included and Maple is used throughout. And I can honestly say that if I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't do anything different. It's perfect for me and a pleasure to work in.

I've been working on it since June and just finished it this last week. Wanted to share with those who helped and others who might use it for an idea or two.

Thanks again for all your input!

www.rickrileyvoice.com

Last edited by Rick Riley on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your studio is nicer than my house. And maybe bigger.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Leslie Humble
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning Rick. Proud of you.
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. Gorgeous set up. I'd never leave my studio if it was that nice.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us who own a table saw and in constant search for studio ideas, we thank you for "setting the bar" and giving us a benchmark. What a great looking set-up. Beyond "great looking" is the goal of: does it work well? I have a feeling that it does.

I have mentioned my upcoming move in a few months and I will be designing and constructing my new set up. I'm not a youngster any more. My friends mutter: Why are you trying to buy a house. They have wonderful apartment communities for seniors these days you know. No yard work, etc.

My response: "Yeah, but can you imagine the dirty looks I will get, and the nasty letters from management, the day they catch me rolling my table saw into the elevator.

Last edited by vkuehn on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing of beauty!
Great work Rick.
ricevoice
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous! Congrats on a job well done!
juliaknippen
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a work of art! Very well done!
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vkuehn wrote:

I have mentioned my upcoming move in a few months and I will be designing and constructing my new set up. I'm not a youngster any more. My friends mutter: Whey are you trying to buy a house. They have wonderful apartment communities for seniors these days you know. No yard work, etc.

My response: "Yeah, but can you imagine the dirty looks I will get, and the nasty letters from management, the day they catch me rolling my table saw into the elevator.

Vernon, I’m no spring chicken, but I’m not ready to go into an apartment to prepare for looking at the underside of sod either. I’ve built things all my life. Mostly things that go fast, but about 20 years ago I got into remodeling my kitchen for my home in Florida. I figured why pay someone when I could do it myself for less money and in the end, wind up with a whole bunch of really cool tools. So I did.

When I left Florida and moved to California, table saws are dead weight and you can buy a new one for what it would cost to move it across country, so I gave it to my nephew. That was about 10 years ago and I haven’t settled down enough until recently to get another. The studio was my excuse.

When you do your own work you can really personalize things. In my old setup the mixer sat on top of a rack with the preamp. Well now that I have a new custom rack I didn’t want the mixer sitting on top of it, but I had no place to put it. So, I made an enclosure for my interface which sits on my desk. The enclosure now looks like part of the desk and the mixer has a place to sit on top of the interface.

I was pleased with the way the podium turned out, but in using it I found I was setting my headphones on top of the mouse. So I made a hook that is now part of the podium, for the headphones. BTY, I see by the pictures I need a new mouse pad. I pulled that one out of an old box of stuff, and it looks pretty grungy. But anyway, you get the picture. I made all the frames for the acoustic panels, the shelf for the monitor and my Adrian Peterson football and Emmy and basically whatever I want to add a personal touch to, I just make it.

I figured this is my last place. We just bought the home and plan on staying. At least that’s our plan. I’m in here all day, every day so I wanted to make it nice. As it turned out, I look forward to coming in, trading my shoes for slippers and going to work. It has Daikin ductless heating and cooling (whisper quiet), the booth sounds great and the work station is extremely conducive for getting all I have to do, done.

So go for it dude. You’re never too old and keeping busy keeps you young. You know what they say, ‘105 is the new 50!’. And BTW, if you’re not familiar with ‘Pocket holes’, check em out. Dowels are out and these are in. They’re very cool and you’ll find yourself wanting to build or repair things just so you can use them. https://www.kregtool.com/get-inspired/videos/product/kreg-jig-r3.aspx

Have a great time and send pics along the way!

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I come visit, just give me a pillow, and I'll fit very nicely on that couch.

And I might not leave...

You done good, dude. cool

Dee doo. Dee doot doot doo dee doo.

my website
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! Amazing!
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mighty nice!

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Riley wrote:
if you’re not familiar with ‘Pocket holes’, check em out. Dowels are out and these are in. They’re very cool and you’ll find yourself wanting to build or repair things just so you can use them.

About 10-11 years ago, I wrote a review of the Kreg jig for Woodcraft Magazine. The best part: I got to keep the kit.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
SkinnyJohnny
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful Rick!
Great job!!!
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

Truly superb!
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: