VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Agents

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBeen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Agents Reply with quote

I have recently been in contact with a producer, manager, agent type of person in my area and have been discussing him representing me. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having an agent, and what can I expect?? I work a full-time job and marketing myself is a huge chalenge due to time constraints and my job.
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, agents don't really market. You have to do a lot of that on your own. I use my agent as a clearing house for billing and getting money from clients, although now with QuickBooks I'm using him less for that. Also, I get occasional auditions from him, but I don't think VO is his main focus. Maybe I just have a lousy agent. Anybody else have thoughts?

http://www.kitziestern.com/
scooter2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: agents Reply with quote

I've gone through four agents in my day, three in L.A. and one at mty present location.

In all cases I found that they are not in a position to market anything or anyone OTHER than their entire talent base.

'tis a shame that some talent, including myself at one time, would expect them to do more for the individual talent.

I also note that in the smaller markets where some agents may survive they seek an all modes talent, i.e. models, actors, etc, rather than just the voice-over person

I like it when they find me work..but I find most of it myself.

so there ya go.
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No agent will look out for your best interests better than you can on your own. I have one in Dallas. She got me one gig. Most of the time, I have to take a few seconds to remember her name. In my 25 year television career, I've had three. Here's how they work: A job comes up, they pack your stuff in with a bunch of others and send it off. If the client shows some interest in you, then they talk you up. Plus, I've had a couple "talk me up" so much they scuttled jobs I really wanted. That's because I let them do all the gum flapping to the point they wound up turning me off to the client. There's a simple rule a sales guy told me: "Once you've made the sale, STFU!"
BBeen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point he mostly manages and promotes bands. He is just now diving into the talent respresentation world..I know, I know. However, at this point I am his only voice talent per say. Fact is, if he CAN find me work, GREAT, however I will continue to market myself. But like i have said before I do have one full time job, and one part time, so my marketing efforts are not where i would like them to be at this point. i am hoping he can help fill that gap.
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a really long piece that I wrote for my students (and various other things). I dare you to read it all!! (I wouldn't).

Sorry about the length, but it may answer some stuff.

Coles Notes version:

- It's your career. Don't expect to get an agent and hear that phone ring.

- Avoid start-out agents. It can take years for an agent to establish themself and get the connections.

- Think of your agent as and "add-on". They can help you get the great gigs in the sky, and have access to auditions, etc. that you won't. The rest is still up to you.

- If you do have an agent, continue to market yourself - and give your agent their commision. Why? Because it helps put you to the top of their list when deciding who they should send to auditions & larger gigs.

- A good agent works very hard. Work with them and help them sell you.

---------------now for the long version---------------------------------

AGENTS – “I’ll get me an agent, then they’ll find me work!”

Too many people get too excited too quickly, rush a demo, grab an 'agent' and expect their phone to ring off the hook. Nope.

The agent isn't just there to get you a 'job'. They're there to represent you on the job. They are not “Star-Makers”. Yes, it’s in their best interest to help get you work, but their main function is to look after you on the job. You are entering into a legal agreement with a professional organization – even if it’s a one-person operation. You are legally agreeing to give up certain freedoms.

Firstly, there's a major benefit to getting work without an agent when starting out. Any agent who's worth their salt has an established roster already, that is making them money. (Standard 15% ?). Even though agents may come across as 'connected and established', they really have their work cut out for them. Talk about 14 hr. days! So, why would they consider an un-proven, inexperienced voice? The big studios and ad agencies aren't comfortable with that. They'd rather just continue to use "Jane", who they know is professional and can do the job. And they should! Good for Jane!

There are some agents and agencies out there that will take 'anybody' - but beware! I know for a fact that selling someone "the dream" is as easy as pie. (No, I don't do that - but I've seen it many times.) Up and coming performers, that are dying to be accepted, looking for that big break, and want it now! People that can get good advice and opinion, but don't really want to hear it, so they ignore it, looking for that person or company that slaps down their hands and says "Hell, yeah ! Yer the little flower we've been lookin' fer! Yer gonna be a star! Just sign here.."

DO NOT pay ANYBODY (agent / agency) in advance!

Although voiceover agent situations differ from region to region (e.g. generally speaking, Toronto has more demand for 'representation' (an agent) than Vancouver), it’s always a good reason for you to be patient, market yourself and get the smaller stuff now. This is so you can walk into a reputable agent's office and slap down a list of projects and clients you've done work for. Even if they're $20 gigs...or freebies. Even if you've only done 3 jobs. It shows that you have some tenacity and marketable skills that will make the agent money and worth their while to take you on. Show them your marketing and creativity. You’ll be farther ahead than most.

Again, the agent is there to represent you for the job. They dictate (or negotiate) the fees, make sure you get paid, and arrange for red Smarties to be available. They can kick open the big doors for you, be they national or international ad campaigns, cartoons, etc., through the audition notices they (and only they) get from their network of studios, agencies, and the like. They also do enormous amounts of work that you don’t see. However, the true voiceover talent continues to market them self, with or without an agent. It's your career, and you are responsible. Don't leave it in the hands of someone else, or expect anyone else to do it for you.

When you get a gig, you get your agent to work out the details. This may not be worth it for really small projects, but if you do find work, let the agent do their job. Talk with your agent (or potential agent), and find out when they expect to be involved. Simply saying “talk to my agent” when discussing potential work can easily scare off a client. It may be better for you to take the first steps before involving your agent. You may see the benefit of doing a job for $50 for a start-out, but your agent is going to push for $150 – and possibly blow it. Again, talk to your agent and get all of that cleared up. They may disagree and insist (contractually) on being involved in every step. So. Get some start-out stuff behind you. Keep track of what companies / organizations / people you’ve done work for, so you can compile a list.

Get audio (or video) copies of any work that you do to showcase your experience to a potential agent. Then, hunt around through studios, ad agencies, unions, other voice talent (they usually advertise their representation on their website) to find which agency they deal with and who has a good reputation. Then book an appointment, and arrive with your resume', demo and questions.

Again, do not pre-pay money to an agent or agency, be it in person, on a 'compilation disc', over the internet, etc. (Obviously there are websites that require a fee to store your MP3 demo on them, or possibly subscription fee, but that’s not necessarily representation. That's probably just storage fees. Be careful).

Tell your agent if your demo is on a website. Beware that any contract & terms you ‘agree to’ with an on-line website may legally conflict with your agreement with your agent! You may end up paying 2 different commissions, based on the gross of one job, or run into legal difficulties. An example would be you ‘agreeing’ to an on-line host site. They will apparently find you clients, for….25% commission. If your local agent gets you work, the on-line company probably doesn’t care, though legally they may have a case.

However, if your local agent finds out you got work from the on-line company, they would have a right to charge you their 15% (or whatever) commission ON TOP of the commission that the on-line company has already charged you – based on the gross amount of pay, and you may even be subject to a fine for breaking your contract with your local agent. They may argue that they could have negotiated a better deal with the client. After all,…that’s why you hired them, isn’t it? Yikes!

An agent gets their fee after you do the project. For that matter, they should collect from the client, not you - though some will let you get paid, then you send them their commission. If you get an agent and you still get your own work (because you haven't stopped marketing yourself, right?), and negotiate your own fees, you should STILL at least offer them commission for 2 reasons. First, your relationship with your agent should be just that. A mutual agreement and professional relationship. They represent you, so be a team. Also, each time you give (or offer) their commission, it's like tapping them on the shoulder to say "hey..I'm still here and being successful", so they'll remember you the next time they get that audition information for the big stuff. It's easier for them to sell you if you have experience - which is another reason for you to have some work under your belt before you approach them. (Do NOT sneak behind your agent’s back. You’re shooting yourself in the foot by doing this, and it IS a tight-knit community.)

Be careful with 'start out' or 'new' agents and agencies. They may have the connections needed, but if they intend to start from scratch, it's going to take quite a while before they establish themselves. Best to stay with established, though only if you’re ready and worth their while. Some cross over from being an ‘acting’ agent to a ‘voiceover’ agent. Some acting agents automatically assume they represent you in voiceover as well. They may also have a contract with your signature that says just that. This is not necessarily a bad thing, though if you are not happy with the situation, it’s up to you to legally get out of it. It’s your career remember.

Some voices have more than one agent – with each agent understanding this. For example, some have separate representation in L.A., Chicago and New York, but have worked out an agreement with their agents or agencies.

Again, too many people get in a rush, rush situation and screw themselves up. If you do acquire an agent, DON’T expect the phone to ring off the hook immediately with offers and auditions. Let them do their job, build your foundation, and help them do their job if you can. If you’re not happy with their results, talk to them before walking away. It’s not like you’re losing any money – (unless you stupidly paid up-front). You don’t need burned bridges in this industry. The old “you work for me” line is pretty weak if you expect someone else to make you a ‘star’. That’s your job. Hire a publicist!

Patience my friend! A couple of those people that you sent stuff out to, that said "well, maybe down the road", may just indeed call. Maybe 2 or 3 within weeks. I've seen it happen. If you have 50 people with your demo sitting on their desk (especially if they're not the usual places), if 3 of them call within 2 months, that's 3 places on your list to take to an agent. But keep marketing yourself in a creative manner. It will happen.

Don't get too hooked on getting an agent. Remember, they are there to represent you on the job when you get work. Do it right. (Some situations require you to have an agent. If you're getting lots of invitations to these 'cattle calls' (auditions), then you should definitely talk to an agent!)

-den.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my $ 0.02 on agents. I have an agent in the S.F. Bay Area. I'd like to get one in L.A.

Actually, I've gotten work through my agency and work on my own. Typically, when I get a gig through my agency, it pays a hell of a lot more than anything I've been able to scrape up on my own. And, my agency books me for modeling, on-camera work, etc. Actually, as I think about it, I've gotten more on-camera and modeling work through the agency than VO stuff.

I see having an agent as a no-brainer. One of my friends told me to go it alone, when I first started in this biz about 2 years ago. He said, Why sign? They're just going to take money you'd otherwise earn. He also said he had a couple of gig's he wanted me to do.

I'd earned zip from him by the end of the year he gave me the advice. Within that time, after I signed with my agency, I'd done three gigs. 100% of zero is zero. That's the no-brainer part. That's how I see it.

I'd prefer that my agency did a bit more and that I get more work. But, having said that, I've been to auditions where very seasoned and experienced VO talents complained, "I've had only one good job this year!"

I believe you have to have the right expectations. Don't expect an agency to make your career for you. But, do expect them to help you get business.

An interesting side note to this thread is an experience I had a few months ago. Fox, NBC, CBS, and ABC had a Diversity Faire for talent (writers, actors, VO, etc.) a couple of months ago in L.A. I went to see what was up.

There was a breakout session for "Senor Talent." Casing directors and producers were on the panel. Wow! You should have heard the questions. You know, there are actors who have matured and are still seeking work. I'm talking major talent who either were big names or co-starred with big names. And, the big question was, Why aren't we being cast? The casting directors' answers were, because you're not what the client wants.

I may not have liked that answer, but that is what the answer was.

Anyway, I find I'd rather have an agent than not. And, some agents will sign a non-exclusive agreement, so you loose absolutely nothing. Oh, yea. One other experience: when I got my first job, I had one fee in mind for my services. But, since I'd signed with my agency that's exclusive in Northern California, I told the client to deal with them. They got me almost three times the money I had in mind. Nice.

Your mileage may vary.

C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: