VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two questions for the webmasters among us

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Two questions for the webmasters among us Reply with quote

I've already posted these questions to the Google Webmasters forum, but I'd like to hear from as many as possible. I know that many of us administer our own websites and, speaking for myself, I'm perhaps not quite as well-versed as I would otherwise hope to be.

In addition to my currently hosted domain name (the one my site operates under), for a number of years I've also owned several other domain names that redirect to the original domain (if someone types one of those other domain names into their browser, they will be sent to my site).

I am considering changing my currently hosted domain name to one of those that currently redirects to it.

Question 1: Will doing so negatively affect my site rankings?
Question 2: Should my hosting company be able to (help me) accomplish that easily?

Many thanks!

paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't exactly answer your question but why?

If you are already comfortable forwarding, why not just do the same now? Reserve the new domain, then just use your current to forward traffic. All traffic stats and rankings should stay the same at that point.
ronharpervoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quora says: if the content is exactly identical and you are not specifically using the two domain names to target two different geographic areas for the purpose of SEO, put in a 301 redirect from one domain to your primary domain and you will not have a problem.
I have a domain with my name, and I have had one that redirects that has a domain with a specific keyword. I chose this year to make that domain it's own and gave it a simple responsive redesign, although the voice demos are the same.
Your hosting company probably has tutorials on how to do it. That's one of the reasons I am a raging fan of my hosting company - they have brilliant tech support, they are all in the USA, and they can answer questions like that in a way you can understand.
If you're interested, and are able to administer your own site, it's Inmotion Hosting.
www.ronharper.com/blog
www.videosonyourwebsite.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: