VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm gathering info on what you think is good VO direction
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Story of my life. The day's just never complete without someone telling me to "stuff it."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
They directed you to stuff it.

And if anyone knows how to stuff it, professionally, it's Drew. (I mean that in the nicest possible way!) Laugh
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Yep.

They directed you to stuff it.

Devil Devil Devil Devil

ROFL!

Last edited by asnively on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting direction from several people can be challenging.

Getting line reads is interesting. Of course, I'll do it the way it was uttered and then follow that with at least two other variations and let them decide which they like.

Getting too much copy - to echo several others.

Getting the "conversational read" direction with copy written for a white paper with bullet charts - and not being able to change one word of the script.
donrandall

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my greatest joys in life was when a client insisted that a word be pronounced a certain way, even though the prounciation was incorrect.

Since the illiterate client was paying.....
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a client the other day, who had me read the whole script before he gave direction. Then gave me one piece of direction at a time, having me read the script each time until he got the performance he wanted.
When we finished, "Wow" he said, "You're quick on the uptake"
We would have been even quicker if he had told me everything he wanted at the outset - trusting my skills instead of deciding he was going to throw me tidbits. at a time.

So for me, if we're telling directors how to be directors, mutual respect for our abilities would be much appreciated. I would have appreciated his more, if he had appreciated mine in the first place by being clear on what he wanted.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pet peeves include:

Too much direction ... such as three minutes of explanation on how to read a one minute spot. Presuming you've hired a professional, and you liked how they sounded on their audition or demo, tell them what direction you want them to go in and let them sail the boat. If they miss the mark, give them a course correction and let them do it again. Over direction can kill any chances of a good read.

Can you make your voice deeper? ... You hired me for my rich baritone voice. If you'd wanted a basso profundo, you should have hired him (or her...apologies to any bassa profundas out there). Plus deepness does not make a good read. Great interpretation of the copy does.

Bruce
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you make your voice deeper? ... You hired me for my rich baritone voice. If you'd wanted a basso profundo, you should have hired him (or her...apologies to any bassa profundas out there). Plus deepness does not make a good read. Great interpretation of the copy does.

Bruce

To add to that - at least in my case - the director says: "Can you do it with more hair"?

Toodles

Frank F
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
Quote:

Bruce

To add to that - at least in my case - the director says: "Can you do it with more hair"?

Toodles

Frank F

Utterly pointless in my case.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: I'm gathering info on what you think is good VO directio Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:

My peeve is the "perfect" peeve as well.
"Great-- now give me another one just like that."
Why?

You know, I have said this to talent after they reached the sound and style I was after. The reason in the back of my head is that no one can deliver exactly the same performance, twice. So, therfore, there will be minute differences in the second read and one word or sentence might have a better inflection than the first take. I then can go back and blend the two together with ease.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: I'm gathering info on what you think is good VO directio Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
Deirdre wrote:

My peeve is the "perfect" peeve as well.
"Great-- now give me another one just like that."
Why?

You know, I have said this to talent after they reached the sound and style I was after. The reason in the back of my head is that no one can deliver exactly the same performance, twice. So, therfore, there will be minute differences in the second read and one word or sentence might have a better inflection than the first take. I then can go back and blend the two together with ease.

Dan,

I understand what you're saying and also why you would ask someone to "do it again" under those circumstances; but would you say "Perfect. Now do it again" or something more like "Very good. Let's have another one just like that"?

I'm always happy to give a director another take. It's just that there's a bit of cognitive dissonance for me to hear "Perfect" and "Do it again" in the same breath.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get the job done! Rolls Eyes
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm gathering info on what you think is good VO directio Reply with quote

bobsouer wrote:
It's just that there's a bit of cognitive dissonance for me to hear "Perfect" and "Do it again" in the same breath.

Couldn't've said it better myself.
However-- I'm glad the hear a succinct reason from the Producer's side.
It gives me a bit more compassion.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew wrote:
Story of my life. The day's just never complete without someone telling me to "stuff it."

Well ever since Flo quit Mel's diner and become a director, things have gone down hill for me too. "Kiss my grits" and that stuff......

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Am I missing something? Reply with quote

Look at it from the other side. Here's an example: Every now and then I'm asked to produce on loction TV for cable. If we do an on-camera talent tag, I will ask for many versions of the same line. I especially will ask for "one more for insurance" after the "perfect" one. My job is to give the final edit crew as much to work with as needed.
When you hang around and watch a vo producer, aren't they getting as much on the track as they can to cover every possibility? Good ones will slip and slide each word if necessary and appreciate a director getting that material from a talent. (And you are the voice talent, that's why they called in the first place.)

Re-read Don LaFontaine's chapter in Joan Baker's "Secrets of Voice Over Success." It about the work ethic.
I am glad to jump through any hoop that's asked for.
My peeve is if they don't call me in the first place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: