VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT: Vent: Death by leaf blower
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point. But generators – while extremely noisy – can be pretty much a necessity, at least for some people (such as those with medical devices, etc.).

I still think driving people out of their minds over petty aesthetics – where they even use leaf blowers to remove the small amount of sand that accumulates in the parking lots... and God forbid there should be a blade of grass or some pine needles on the sidewalks – is outrageously obsessive and there isn't anything that's going to convince me otherwise.

Smile

vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Harrison wrote:

I still think driving people out of their minds over petty aesthetics – where they even use leaf blowers to remove the small amount of sand that accumulates in the parking lots... and God forbid there should be a blade of grass or some pine needles on the sidewalks – is outrageously obsessive and there isn't anything that's going to convince me otherwise.

I plead guilty to being obsessive about blades of grass and pine needles and making sure my shrubs get haircuts that would pass military inspection during unity formation and roll call.

But what about us and our obsession about every teeny-tiny mouth-click in our recordings, Or room noise that is down at least 70 or 80 dB. Thank goodness we are not obsessive like those lawn people!!!!!

But let the record show I use a much quieter ELECTRIC leaf blower during those final minutes of creating a tidy landscape. Sarcastic
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate uninvited noise. Around here kids on mopeds make really loud and obnoxious noise.

Remember being a kid myself when we had skateboards. Recall some older lady running down the street after us complaining about the noise the skateboards made on the sidewalks. Now I appreciate her complaint much better (sigh).

To combat NP (noise pollution) here I use an electric lawn mower, and we have a PHEV car that is so quiet that it creates a noise so that pedestrians have a chance to hear the car coming Smile

But you guys should not really be complaining about lawn blowers and generators. The sound that almost killed me occurred when I lived in the Middle East. It was not only that the sound was terrible, it was; but rather the items creating it...Katusha rockets.

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the above but it crossed my tortured mind that some times silence is golden.

What's part of your signal chain? The one sent to the market, the market for VO services, that shouts clearly "I have a $40 mic and a padded enamel bucket in which to place it and want to be taken seriously as a Voiceoverist.

Pssst. I know my room, gear and voice sucks I just don't go bragging on it ..often Smile
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it's NOT just the noise.

Here, using FACTS, a California landscaping company whole-heartedly advocates for an outright ban on leaf blowers. Please share this link in social media.

http://www.terranovalandscaping.com/the-blow-by-blow-on-leaf-blowers/

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're doing it again Mike! Stop it at once.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I’m going to be blatantly blunt here Mike. YOU are the problem (in my humble opinion). This guy who’s doing the lawn maintenance probably has a lot of equipment. Bought an industrial leaf blower lately? $400 to $500. Edger? Same. Weed Wacker? Yes, same or more. How about a riding Zero Turn lawn mower. I just bought an ENTRY LEVEL and it was over $3,000. A decent commercial one is $8,000 and a top of the line $15,000. Quite a spread. I imagine he has a trailer to pull that stuff. Let’s say minimal $2,000. Hey, how about a truck to get there? New one, $35,000 with few frills. But let’s say he went used, bare minimum, $12,000 and it’s got at least 100k miles on it. Totaling up the lower end of those numbers, he’s got an investment of $24,000 he’s laid out to do his job. Now, how much have you spent to do your job? I guarantee if you spent half that building a double walled, resilient channel, green glue, OC703 recording booth, you wouldn’t be complaining about his leaf blower, or any external noise for that matter.

The problem lies with most of us that we get a minimal setup and expect everyone else to bend to our frailties. Doing this job ‘correctly’ involves some serious outlay. Not just in equipment and coaching, but environment. I know, because I just finished my new studio yesterday and I won’t tell you what I spent, but I could have gone into the lawn business with some really nice equipment. You can’t blame others for making an investment and doing their job, when you haven’t done the same.

I’m not saying ‘you’, to single you out, because until recently, I was one of ‘you’. I’d get upset at planes flying over in the middle of reads, or the neighbor’s truck starting up and leaving in the morning, or having to turn the air conditioner off because the air rumbling through the ducts can make it sound like I’m recording in a wind storm. All that ON TOP of the yard guys. But the fact is, those are real world noises and if you’re going to work in the real world, you have to deal with them. It can be a pain and expensive, but as they say, ‘It’s the price of doing business.’

I’m done.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I am the problem. And the way to fight fires is to simply turn off the fire alarm.

People who don't read complete messages before responding to them are the real problem.

I'm NOT in my studio. This has nothing to do with voice-over, which you would have realized had you read the "OT" (off-topic) preceding the thread title. And, when I am behind the mic, I deal quite well with the planes flying over and other TEMPORARY interruptions. Like the over 2500 other people who live in this over-55 community – which has its own landscaping crew – I am simply trying to "be." I am NOT the only one who finds this vain obsession to be outrageous. And, I DO NOT CARE how much money is spent on landscaping equipment, because the issue is people's sanity and health.

When a landscaping company does a test (click the link in my previous post and READ) and determines that a rake and broom can do an about equal job in a comparable amount of time, that tells me the only concern here is VANITY and not the well-being of residents or what they think.

THAT is the problem.

Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Harrison wrote:
People who don't read complete messages before responding to them are the real problem.

I read your whole original post, thank you. It said,
Quote:
"its one thing when landscapers temporarily interrupt a session. But it's something else entirely when the 240 Hz drone of a semi-distant leaf blower is heard – no exaggeration – constantly, as in no variation, for over 30 minutes."

You never mentioned that you were out of the booth reading. You compared a minimal interruption of a ‘SESSION’ to an obnoxious interruption of what I assumed was still a ‘SESSION’.

However, in my post I was just addressing the general noise problems that we all deal with and complain about, as other posts in this thread have done. It was a generic reply in which I used the generic ‘you’, and I certainly didn't want you to take it personally. My apologies if I didn’t stress that enough. I still meant what I said in that post regarding noise and our business, but not just directed at you.

Sorry for ruffled feathers!

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my third post of the thread I said I was not in a session.

The reason we have annoyances like the incessant abuse of leaf blowers is because not enough people complain loudly and often enough. That's actually the reason a lot of negative issues on any level persist.

Thanks for the clarification. Peace is at hand (but not yet in my community; they're out there again today).

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, on the other hand was so clear as to be as clear as two finely polished clear things, combined using the latest combining technology to increase to the point of maximisation the clearness of clarity ....

You're do it again Mike ...STOP IT AT ONCE!! Smile
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a Constable in the house?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is waiting outside ready to pounce like a Panther ... THINK ON!
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crux of the complaint is both UNNECESSARY noise pollution and MANUFACTURED noise pollution. Not dissimilar to CC Petersen's attempts to reduce light pollution wherein unnecessary 'vanity lighting' of buildings inhibits our ability to enjoy the night sky.

Lawn workers gotta work. The guys installing my new windows at the very moment I am typing this gotta chisel and chip away at the old windows and use power tools to uninstall and then install. Airplanes gotta fly and so on.

The annoyance comes when we cross over into either unnecessary noise or excessive. The guy with the subwoofer rattling the windows of his car is annoying. Listening to it so loud that it (often, INTENTIONALLY) pisses off those around you is not only unnecessary, it's rude and - like the unnecessarily loud vehicle - screams of insecurity as one says (in essence) "LOOK AT ME!!!"

I often have to stop recording while a plane buzzes overhead, or the birds might be unusually loud and active. Or a dog barks. Whatever. It happens. It's part of life, just like nighttime lighting.

But when we cross over into the boundaries of excessive or unnecessary - regardless of whether it's noise, lighting, money, food.... whatever.... then there is a problem. If, instead of the occasional plane flying overhead, it's a neighbor sitting in his driveway revving his un-mufflered car, truck or motorcycle for a long period of time, then that is rude, unnecessary, annoying and a reason for complaint and anger.

AND........ considering that loud, excessive and UNNECESSARY noise is irritating and painful, and often detrimental to our hearing and sometimes our mood/sanity; then I honestly just do NOT understand why people do it.

www.voicebyscott.com
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is that I don't mind my *own* noise. Every fox hears his own burp, or something like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: