VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to the business. Am I crazy?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: New to the business. Am I crazy? Reply with quote

Hello Everybody,

I am new to the business and looking for some advice. I am currently "trying on" the business while I work my day job. Like most of you, I'm sure you at one point (or maybe still are) dreamed of doing this full time, and so do I.

I've been recording for 3 weeks. I created a home studio and tried to hit the ground running. I signed up for Voices.com, Voices 123, Upwork, ACX and even created my own website.

Here are my results so far.

18 Demo Listens, 4 Audition Listens out of 20 submitted on Voices.com.
12 audiobook auditions completed on ACX. 1 Author on ACX listened to my demo and invited me to audition. Another actually personally responded to me that he had picked another narrator.
3 replies on Upwork to my proposals for jobs. Still negotiating final terms.

75 visits to my website (which is only 4 days old).

So my question is. How am I doing? I feel like I've gained some traction and could have something break any minute. Would you agree? Or is this typical of the long hard road I was expecting?

Thanks for looking.

Paul
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, the numbers are largely irrelevant. There isn't enough data to draw a conclusion. Just audition as much as you can (and totally forget about the audition after you send it), get some coaching, and learn learn learn!

To quote Bob Souer, "Voice over a is a great way to make a living, but a TERRIBLE way to make a living fast."

If you don't quit, it will probably work out...if you do, then it most certainly won't. Treat it like a business and give it your all and someday it could be your career!

Oh ya...and welcome to the neighborhood! Shovels are in the garage and the llama is definitely in need of some attention. Chocolate (dark seems to be most appreciated) is required for use of community tools Smile
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jason for the reply.

I have been down this road before, but a LONG time ago. Directly out of college in the 90s, I tried to get in the business the old fashioned way. Physical tapes! Then CDs and DVDs. The result was absolutely no response. EVER

So, I was thinking any response at all at this point in the "new" process was good. No?
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, "any response" is certainly not bad... but it really doesn't mean anything. At all.

A producer could gush about your voice, and promise projects are coming down the pike... then disappear forever. Or a producer could give you a low ranking on one of the P2P sites... then hire you a week later.

You could book a job tomorrow. You could book five jobs next week. Then, you might not book anything for a month. Even those of us working full-time experience dry spells that defy explanation -- it's just part of the biz. We also experience crazy-busy times that ALSO defy explanation... The trick is to eventually have more crazy-busy times than dry spells.

Jason stated it well -- submit your auditions, then forget about them. Spend all your non-auditioning time LEARNING -- read books, blogs, listen to podcasts, take a class, get coaching, join an improv troupe, practice in the car... and when you do start booking, nurture those relationships, so you can start building up your client list -- at the end of the day, it's all about Pans in the Fire.

(...and one quick website tip: take off the links to the other VO sites. Why send potential customers somewhere they might find a better voice than yours?...Smile)

Dee doo. Dee doot doot doo dee doo.

my website
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristin Lennox wrote:

(...and one quick website tip: take off the links to the other VO sites. Why send potential customers somewhere they might find a better voice than yours?...Smile)

I hear this one loud and clear. As soon as possible!
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say the same thing as Kristin; if they are on your web site, they done gone and found ya!

I'd also make a strong suggestion that your demos are on your home page. Dont make them dig to find them. Also, for some reason I had to click your demos multiple times to get them to play.

as far as results, i'd say focus less on the results and focus more on your service level. If you do great business, have good technical/editing skills, and can deliver a good read; the results will begin to show up as long as you keep grinding auditions and looking for work.

Having said that, as someone that runs on the p2p's some, there is some value in doing a little analysis with regard to if your auditions are getting heard. Auditions that never get heard are the devil. It took me a few weeks to craft my own strategy for audition selection. My listen rate is pretty darn good now. To clarify; I'd personally be disappointed in a 4 of 20 listen rate on voices.com. That tells me that you are not selecting the best auditions to optimize your time spent.

But if you are going to obsess about something, obsess about improving. Coaching, acting, copy interpretation, etc.

Good luck and welcome to the community.

gary
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way Paul in response to your post, yes you are crazy and that's a good thing.....

My recommendation, go to Nancy Wolfson's website and purchase her "Your Voice Over Business" MP3 for $60 (in the store section) and take her advice to heart.

And hang out here a lot, it really helps.
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, please take this in the (mostly) lighthearted way it's intended:

Are you crazy? Maybe not. But if you're three weeks in, and you're already obsessing over listens, replies and site traffic, you'll surely drive yourself crazy soon.

You might want to consider therapy. Or at least decaf. Smile

And you might have done some of this, though you didn't say anything about it in your post, so ... I find it interesting that you didn't mention coaching, an acting background, classes, technical proficiency in audio recording/processing/editing, marketing skills, etc. These things (among others) are the most common skills shared by successful talent.

Before you set off in the car, whether you're headed across town or across the country, it's a good idea to know that there's gas in the tank and that the engine's tuned up.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and with all the great advice you're getting and advice that will continue...
Welcome to the VO-BB! You're not crazy if you're here. The archives are full of great info, and most of the members here have had all their shots and are fully house trained.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougVox wrote:
Before you set off in the car, whether you're headed across town or across the country, it's a good idea to know that there's gas in the tank and that the engine's tuned up.

And that you know how to drive. cool
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo what everyone else has said about auditioning and letting go. Set it and forget it - or yes, like Doug said you WILL go crazy.

I also echo the need for training and studying AND PRACTICING the art of VO. There's so much more to this gig than a good voice. Everything pointed out above, and I'd like to add persistence to the list.

It took me 20 years to become an overnight success in VO.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe started when she was 10.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hell, i've spent the past 8 years trying to be moe.

paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everybody. Wow what a great community!

I have updated my website based on suggestions from members. Please take a look when you have the chance.

I get the training aspect, and will look into it. I've been trained, basically in one style, the authoritative announcer. I know this is not all there is to voice over but it's a start.

I also agree just doing the work will help polish. I signed up with a trial for the P2P sites, and while I know opinions differ on the contribution, or damage to the business, the one thing I can say is they provide practice!

I already hear myself getting better just from being able to practice 4-5 different kinds of reads daily.

Thanks again for all the feedback, and I look forward to being a contributing member to the community!
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Paul!

OK, here's my 2 cents. It feels like you are putting the cart before the horse. Your demos sound more like workshop practice than professional vo demos. I don't hear you connecting with the copy, and I don't hear your personality. I hear you reading. And your demos need production. Demos made from scratch need to sound broadcast real. Compare yours to this producer's demos:
http://www.demosthatrock.com/portfolio.html

I think that better demonstrates what's missing/needed from your demo.

My philosophy has always been you don't put yourself out there until you are ready. Ready means you are as good or better than everyone else. You get one chance to make a great impression. This business is not very forgiving.

I think you need acting and improv classes. Then I think you need voiceover classes. As for knowing what is demanded from a professional vo demo and (or) website, that's all at your fingertips. Voicebank lists every agency represented actor and their demos in the industry:

http://www.voicebank.net/app/promoList.do?CLR=-1

I suggest paying close attention to the top agencies in the industry: SBV, CESD, Atlas, DPN, WME. No matter where you live, if you approach your career and marketing like the best of the best, you will stand out amongst those who don't. Check out the actors from these agencies with a star next to their name, which will take you to their websites.

Lastly, read through this site:

http://iwanttobeavoiceactor.com

Terrific words of wisdom from one of the best in the biz.

B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: