VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

audiobook narration time
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: audiobook narration time Reply with quote

Hey - those of you who narrate audiobooks - on average, how many hours a day do you normally put into it? Saying it another way - assuming you are not under a tight deadline - what is your comfortable limit of studio hours per day? Thanks - I did poke around the archives first but didn't see this - if it's been covered just point me to it...
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only occasionally do books, so I usually try to get one finished hour done a day. I know there are others who do much more, but I haven't developed the stamina for more than that.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 6 hours per day. That nets me 2.5-3 hours of finished audio per day. I outsource my editing so that leaves me time in the day to do other smaller projects that might come in.
Roar-duh
Contributor III

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about taking a shot at audiobooks, but I don't think my current schedule allows it. I only have 1-2 hours of recording time per evening after my day job.

Obviously I won't be able to complete "War and Peace" in any usable timeframe, but are there enough shorter projects out there that it might be possible?
HeatherMasters
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Jeff, I admire your stamina!! I usually budget 2 hours a day for audiobooks, which leaves me with 1 finished hour. I contract out my editing also, as the drudgery of that made me want to give up audiobooks altogether. I should mention though that I only work three hours a day, as I stay at home with my little ones. Someday I hope to be able to narrate for 6 hours a day. Jeff's my new hero Smile

www.heathermastersvo.com
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just a question of stamina. Our Jeff has turned himself into a narrating machine and has created a great business model around the fact that he can narrate for significant periods both by having stamina & focus and by leaving the editing, proofing etc. to sub-contractors. This being said, let's not forget that he's turning out a high quality, salable product that people want to buy.

As for the stamina... it's not just how long you can keep "reading out loud"... it's the quality and tone you can maintain for extended periods. Consistency is the key. Even with my paltry audiobook output, I have learned that I have differences in my afternoon and night voices (my morning voice is a series of neanderthal grunts). I have learned that one job can have a definite (and detrimental) effect on others. Maybe my bad technique, but a two-hour session recording a shouty game voice can take me out of the loop for normal recording well into the next day. With a schedule that requires multiple hours recording each and every day, care of your voice becomes an important factor.

I was wondering, do you have, for example, to restrict your screaming and cheering in support of the Seahawks on a Sunday if you have a long recording session on Monday? Mind you, cheering for the Seahawks may be a bad example.

That was a long way to go for a dig at the Seahawks Smile
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffrey Kafer wrote:
About 6 hours per day. That nets me 2.5-3 hours of finished audio per day. I outsource my editing so that leaves me time in the day to do other smaller projects that might come in.

Do you punch and roll or just drop a marker of some sort?
Shiromi
Contributor III

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My voice/energy is usually good for an hour to 1.5 finished hours per day. So 2-3 hours of recording. The rest of the time is spent doing smaller projects, preparing for upcoming audiobooks and usually leaving the editing/proofing/mastering to someone else's more capable hands.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiromi wrote:
The rest of the time is spent ...

With a booth like that, time should be of no consequence. Wink
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
HeatherMasters
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Bish, I'm also curious how you maintain the quality of your voice, Jeff. I find that when recording a bunch of characters especially male voices, my voice gets fatigued. I have noticed some audiobook narrators who have such a slight variation in their characters, as to not really modify their vocal quality too much, but, at least for me so far, authors seem to want limitless voices, unique and distinct, which gets vocally exhausting for me after 2 hours. How do you do it Jeff?

www.heathermastersvo.com
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make characters unique without going nuts. Slight variations in cadence/tempo/pitch etc are usually enough to distinguish characters. Plus the text helps. And I don't get any pushback from authors because the publishers don't ask their opinions. Smile

As for stamina, I take breaks and drink water. Keep in mind, this is a marathon, so don't expect to master audiobooks right out of the gate. I've done 275 of them and I'm still training. Smile
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narrating my 50th audiobook now. Multiply that times 5 and I might catch up to Kafer.

If I have nothing else pressing, I'll narrate in the morning, when my voice is strongest, for a couple of hours, then spend the afternoon editing. I can't afford to outsource the editing, so I do it myself. 4-5 hours of recording/editing = roughly 1 finished hour of audio. On a day when I have nothing else on the docket, I'll spend 5-6 hours total voicing and editing.

I just record right on thru, leaving the mistakes in. There are 2 reasons for this:
- If I stop and punch and roll, then I break my rhythm. I'd rather keep going, keeping my tempo and energy level consistent
- I have to go back and edit anyway, so it's almost a moot point that there are going to be mistakes in there that need to be edited out.

www.voicebyscott.com
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I punch n roll and outsource all my editing/proofing. I can't afford NOT to. Why would I spend time doing something I could pay someone else to do for $75 per finished hour, when I could be narrating for $250?
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of in the same boat as Pollak at the moment....dipping my toe into the audiobook waters and not yet willing to shell out $$ for editing.....curious, in general how much would it cost get an 8-hour audiobook edited?
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffrey Kafer wrote:
when I could be narrating for $250?

There's the kicker for me. I don't have 100 books lined up so I edit/master my own stuff and save the money. If I had enough audiobook work, I might change that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: