VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing studio phone line

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Installing studio phone line Reply with quote

Hey folks! The ongoing home studio saga continues. I'm building it in my walk-in closet which has NO outlets for anything. Over the summer I installed electrical outlets. Now I need a telephone line for my phone patch.
Here's the question. If (and a BIG if) I decide to install ISDN down the road I should be OK with the existing telephone cable, right? They just install a different jack? Trying to do a little "forward thinking" here. Gasp Laugh
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Installing studio phone line Reply with quote

VoiceTom wrote:
If (and a BIG if) I decide to install ISDN down the road I should be OK with the existing telephone cable, right? They just install a different jack? Trying to do a little "forward thinking" here. Gasp Laugh

Tom,

ISDN uses the same kinds of regular copper lines as POTS; but it's not uncommon to need to have a second pair over which to run the ISDN service. In my home I have Cat5 pulled everywhere rather than regular phone cable; which gives me plenty of spare pairs of copper for such things. Of course, I can't take any credit for forward thinking. It's the way the builder planned it, not me.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Installing studio phone line Reply with quote

VoiceTom wrote:
Here's the question. If (and a BIG if) I decide to install ISDN down the road I should be OK with the existing telephone cable, right? They just install a different jack? Trying to do a little "forward thinking" here. Gasp Laugh

I don't believe that's correct. If you get ISDN it's going to come into your house on an entirely separate line. Stop by my place and I'll show you...two lines coming from the pole, two boxes on the exterior of the house, a separate ISDN jack in your studio.

Jim
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Installing studio phone line Reply with quote

Jim Barton wrote:
VoiceTom wrote:

I don't believe that's correct. If you get ISDN it's going to come into your house on an entirely separate line. Stop by my place and I'll show you...two lines coming from the pole, two boxes on the exterior of the house, a separate ISDN jack in your studio.

Jim

I was wondering if that was the case. I've got an electrician lined up to run a phone line from the back of my house up to the "studio" Wink .
I figure if I'm going to do that I might as well make sure it's ready for ISDN too if I ever decide to go that route...
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Installing studio phone line Reply with quote

VoiceTom wrote:
I was wondering if that was the case. I've got an electrician lined up to run a phone line from the back of my house up to the "studio" Wink .
I figure if I'm going to do that I might as well make sure it's ready for ISDN too if I ever decide to go that route...

Better make sure from TelCo exactly what kind of line is needed between the pole and the house-- there may be a protocol for an ISDN service. Like for Cable Internet-- they run a whole new line so there are no nicks and no possible things to screw up the signal.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had mine hooked up, it was regular old phone line, although for around or inside the house, the phone guy recommended getting "twisted pair" phone lines. The pairs (2,4,6 or whatever) are twisted around each other within the insulation. It somehow cuts down on cross-talk between lines.

Because ISDN is digital it only uses one wire per phone number so you only need one pair total if you're going with two numbers.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also before doing all this you might wanna check with Ma-Belle and make sure they're still installing it in your area. Alot of companies aren't installing any new ISDN lines. Found this out the hard way when I tried to get it. Just a thought.

Russ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: