VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

in-ear cans for road

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vox1
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: in-ear cans for road Reply with quote

anymore, for absolutely-necessary work on-the-road, compactness (word?) simplicity and convenience + portability rules the day for me.. not wanting to lug a pair of 7506 or ATH cans around - any thoughts on an accurate-enough in-ear alternative? Senn. cx300s have been mentioned to me. Any specific model #s appreciated,

Thanks!

Shep

Saying something since 1970-
something
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 1964 triple drivers. They are quite accurate, but might be pricier than you are looking for. Most of the non-custom options will be geared towards music and thus have untrue sound. I used to use Shure 3 series dual driver IEMs, but they don't exist anymore. The current version are the se315 HD single drivers. I have not actually used that exact model though. I would bet the se215s would work fine.
vox1
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:
... Most of the non-custom options will be geared towards music and thus have untrue sound.

Hi Jason, i definitely appreciate your going with 1964s for the reason you've well stated.
Price is not a big issue but considering how infrequently i would likely be using them, i guess my instinct is to seek a somewhat less expensive 'compromise' and the 215 IEMs look like a great suggestion. Thanks!

something
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jason, however I have a slight difference of opinion in your choices. If you have not used IEM's for editing you will find the closeness or proximity effect daunting. artifacts will appear and disappear on your recording, sounds you have never heard before will become striking with IEM's

I recommend NOT using headphones of any kind to edit. That said, choose the most natural sounding pair of open ear phones which are light and easily stowed, rather than IEM's. Some are very inexpensive.

There is a BIG difference in equipment designed for music or vocals (singing) and those designed for the spoken word (this includes microphones, pre-amps, sound cards, tubes, DAW's, AND headphones), so LISTEN carefully before buying.

Frank F
vox1
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya Frank! Thanks for weighing in!

something
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to go thread-grave diggin', but my 2-cents on cans vs monitors for editing...
No, wouldn't recommend IEM's for that work, for much the same reasons Frank mentioned. It's like working under a microscope and it could drive you insane! However, I do feel headphones for MOST voice actors are important while editing because the majority do NOT have quiet enough control rooms to expose artifacts and noise floor issues in monitors.

Your room's noise floor will mask the noise floor of the playback, so you can't differentiate, and you deal with the "was that noise in the recording, or did I just hear that in my room" problem all the time.

Very comfortable, over-the-ear cans work nicely, but the key is comfort and familiarity. Even a lowly pair of Sennheiser HD201's can do the job. Another take on it is work on monitors, and check your work on cans...
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Soundgun writes: "...work on monitors, and check your work on cans..."

I second that emotion!

Over the ear cans which are OPEN, not closed can work well on the road and your head is not going to feel like it has been in a vice for the last few months.

ff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: