VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SAG-AFTRA? What do I do?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffrey Kafer wrote:
Bob Bergen wrote:
.... her experience is, very little of the vo work is non union. Very little money is being made non union.

Whaaaaat? Just take a look at any of the P2Ps. Dozens of jobs every day that go to non-union folks. 2 jobs today that were in the thousands of dollars

Many, if not most, don't know what P2P is. Again, this is a pure generation gap. Extreme cultural difference that just don't relate to each other. And after 15 years of P2P, there's been too much time and conditioning of both the buyers and the talent. The gap is just getting bigger and bigger.

Many at the union are working hard to organize buyers, bringing them back into the union fold. This is good!

But here's the landscape. I think of the vo industry as the beach, made up of millions of grains of sand. Before P2P and the internet, the sand on the beach was 90% or more union.

Then, the tide turned. The tide being the internet and P2P. The tide literally brought with it fresh, new sand that was non union. The beach is now at least 60% non union. Most agents and casting directors will say that's a low percentage. (and the union/vo committee chair says that is an anecdotal figure) But for argument's sake, let's say it's 60%. If the union were to organize a few hundred grains of sand, even buckets worth, the tide will keep bringing with it miles more non union sand. Over and over again.

But because those at the union do not live this, or relate to it, they don't feel it exists. I have traveled the country for many, many years, teaching my weekend animation vo workshops. Fifteen years ago, I was the loudest "you people are shooting yourselves in the foot by working non union" person out there. It took me many years of dialogue, many years of first hand understanding and education, for me to "get it." I offered to take on this issue myself, despite the committee's chair. I told her that she wouldn't have to lift a finger. I'll do the heavy lifting. But she just didn't see the issue.

Sorry, broken record.

On a brighter note, I'm beyond fortunate because for the most part animation will always be union. This is because of celebrities. Celebs work on both features and TV. That's a huge yay for those of us who do animation.
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only halfway through this thread and there are multiple things I'd like to chime in on. Time constraints at the moment (getting ready for my niece's sweet 16 party!) but as soon as I get a chance will be back!
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:

On a brighter note, I'm beyond fortunate because for the most part animation will always be union. This is because of celebrities. Celebs work on both features and TV. That's a huge yay for those of us who do animation.

Same with audiobooks. Jane Love, Richard Larkin, and Steve Sidawi are rock stars at bringing publishers into the fold. 90% of my audiobook work is now union, which couldn't be said 5 years ago.
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
(But from where she stands, and her experience is, very little of the vo work is non union. Very little money is being made non union.

Wow. Head in the sand, indeed...

Shocked

Dee doo. Dee doot doot doo dee doo.

my website
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristin Lennox wrote:
Bob Bergen wrote:
(But from where she stands, and her experience is, very little of the vo work is non union. Very little money is being made non union.

Wow. Head in the sand, indeed...

Shocked

But here's the deal, gang. It goes both ways! Most of you don't relate to the ways of the union. You are too removed. There's too much of a cultural and generational gap. The idea of working 3-5 day and night jobs to pay your bills so you could pursue professional vo professionally is not your thing. I get it. You were handed an industry on your computer. But until 15 years ago, this is how ALL vo actors lived their lives. The few that didn't were the minority. Now, those that live this way are the minority. But the minority have become the elite. They used to be the middle class working actor.

But you have to understand that as much as you don't relate to the old ways of the professional actor, they don't relate to you. I am completely in the middle. I see both sides. Neither is right or wrong. Both have their cultural relevance. As much as I work to get the union to see your truth, you also need to see theirs. Not just in a reactive way. That's the mistake they are making. Unless you are able to see both sides, without blame or resentment, there's no hope. I'm wasting my time...with both sides. You have the opportunity to sell and share your side. You know their side. Both need to come together in the middle and grow from there.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have passed the point of what this thread was written for long ago. so I offer a suggestion to start a new thread or stop the bantering.

This is a long hard fought battle and Bob is NOT the bad guy, neither is Melissa, or DB. Or is Todd, or myself for that matter. I have no skin in this game. I was a union-ite for many years and because they kept failing me miserably in my state, I have given it up for lent.

Today my income is at least 250% of most union-ites, even the elitists. I pay my own taxes, my own health benefits, my own retirement benefits, etc. I am now - a self-unemployed Independent Contractor. I am a small business owner. And I like it this way. I take time off to drive my airplanes and gyro-copter or travel when and where I want, and I do not regret a moment of this new life.

Like Bob B. I see both sides and for me - I do not like what I see (I am equal opportunity person, I dislike both sides).

Getting back to the subject, it has been stated: "to make a wise choice and not make the choice of union or non-union right now". To this I agree.

Looking for a new thread, soon.

F2
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the perfect place for it! Keep it all in one place for easy access.

I have to admit that I never had to wait tables to pay my bills because I had a staff job at a union TV station - plus commercials and on-camera spokes work. I worked enough hours to be vested and the outside work I did was union.

But then I took a job with a defense contractor - spending nearly a decade as a producer/writer and on and off-camera spokesperson in a video production department, When I went back out as a free-lancer and wanted to get back into the performing side of things, all of the union shops had de-certified, so I had no one to work for under union contracts. I went fi-core in order to continue to work.

I was an adult with a mortgage and responsibilities, I simply couldn't work 3 jobs and hold out for the very very few opportunities to do union work.

My early experience with the union was great, but then it wasn't.

Nothing stays the same - the leaders need to try to find the things that still make sense in today's reality, and try not to force the future into the past.
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:

But here's the deal, gang. It goes both ways! Most of you don't relate to the ways of the union. You are too removed. There's too much of a cultural and generational gap. The idea of working 3-5 day and night jobs to pay your bills so you could pursue professional vo professionally is not your thing.

I get it, too, Bob. We've discussed this privately, but I absolutely understand the ways of the union, because that's the exact path I took to my Actor's Equity card -- waiting tables and temping, and slowly building up my Equity points...

And I get how someone from the union world can have a hard time understanding where non-union folk are coming from... but how does one outright deny the overwhelmingly evident existence of well-paying non-union work?? That's what I don't understand.

There can be no meeting in the middle if one party denies the very existence of the other...

Dee doo. Dee doot doot doo dee doo.

my website
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, you're out of line. It's not about you.
This thread is perfectly fine and is organic.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So be it. It is not about me.

What the issue being discussed is is not about should someone join the union now or wait, but about how to fix the union.

To fix the union is an issue bigger than any or all of us. We can add our thoughts and opinions but arguing the idioms here or on any one forum is not going to fix the unions antiquated ways. Create a plan which can be distributed to thousands upon thousands of union and non-union VO talent. Act upon the plan by showing solidarity to the unions opposition. And create change NOW.

"Be thankful for the bad things in life. They opened your eyes to the good things you weren't paying attention to before." unkown

Bye

F2
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stayed out of this thread so far because I was captivated by the intelligent discussion that was unfolding... and didn't want to inject my own perspective. Now, as the very value of the thread had been questioned, I feel I should throw my opinion in (for what it's worth).

I am a latecomer to the game. My first forays into the VO world were with P2P sites and the whole world of internet accessibility. My career is less than ten years old, but I have found myself in the wonderful position of being able to pay the mortgage and put food on the table from full-time VO work (and I live in NY!) I am both blessed and grateful as I understand this puts me in the top single digit percentage of VOs that this status embraces. I have not accomplished this on my own... I have been mentored and supported by many colleagues both here and elsewhere.

My own personal political views set union membership as an option to aspire to. Maybe I'm "old school" in this respect, but I truly believed that union membership was a key to opening doors to higher paying gigs and hitherto untold riches. OK, it didn't quite work out that way... the union opportunities are certainly there as I'm a NY VO... but they have yet to compensate for the loss of income due to my dumping (with no regrets) the P2P sites and other non-convertible work. It's hard, and sometimes I question my decision... but I honestly believe that the union can be made to understand (and accommodate) the needs of a working VO regardless of their geographical location.

This is not an easy path (as Bob has so eloquently articulated). It is fraught with frustrations and pigheadedness on the part of the union who just don't get it (or choose not to get it). For the moment, I have chosen to try to work within the system to try and elevate the standing (and understanding) of VOs within the union. This may be a total waste of effort, but for the moment, I see it as worth pursuing. Education is needed on all sides... union, VOs, clients, newcomers & established talents.

"To jaw-jaw is always better than to war-war" may be aphoristic, but I think the situation can actually be turned around if the union can embrace the 21st century and all that entails. The alternative is to roll-over and just hand everything over to "clearing houses" such as Voices who will continue the drive to commoditization of the VO market... where everyone loses.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actor - Out of work for months gets a job for one day on a movie. Arrives late, complains about everything, screws the leading lady, leaves early.

Businessman - Sells your hard work for 10x what he paid for it, tells you that you are valuable then out sources to a Senegalese home for sick children and pays them in rice and fish.

Union Leader - Sees what's happening in the lives of the above and holds a meeting to discuss funding workshops on the Iranian Double Pause by selling cup cakes in Oregon.

The Lord's Prayer (line 6) - "Give us this day our daily bread". You do not have to be a Christian to be that focused.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffrey Kafer wrote:
I see more and more BIG Fortune 500 companies sending non-union auditions through agencies.

In the past year, I have seen a couple of non-union auditions for unions!

Quote:
The idea that only Union performers can give good performances is a ridiculous notion.

Ignorance among the voiceover consuming population is often not a good thing, but this is one case in which the union can occasionally benefit from it. Many trade unions have apprentice programs and competency requirements for membership. So, if you are building a skyscraper and hire only union iron workers, carpenters, plumbers, and electricians, you do have some assurance that your building will be better built than one put up by non-union workers. But in SAG-AFTRA (especially among those of us who entered the union by way of pre-merger AFTRA) no such apprentice program or, in fact, any quality standard exists. Neverthless, I have occasionally seen union advocates imply that union talent is automatically better and more professional than non-union. And that is absurd, but I can understand how some users of voiceover services can come by that false impression.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a time, not that long ago, that this was indeed a true and fair assessment. Before the Internet, vo was primarily in the larger markets. There was really very little non Union vo work. Very few non Union opportunities. The buyers, the networks, the studios, they wanted the best. The wanted professional vo actors. Statistically, this meant Union. Union vo actors were a huge notch ahead of non Union, in experience and skills. Today, things are drastically different, as you all know.

And as much as I agree that the union needs to address some issues and face much needed change and adjustments, I don't believe that a Union whose membership is talent/performance based can have any knd of competency requirements. Acting and talent is subjective. I've seen Oscar winners whom I cannot believe got a Union card, let alone cast in that film. But that's just my 2 cents. Others obviously loved this talent.

Having that Union card meant/means someone took a chance and hired you for a professional acting gig. Not just a vo gig, an acting gig. Vo is our game. But the union covers many, many acting genres. If that gig that got you your Union card was from a guest star role on Big Bang Theory, that whole experience holds weight. For me, that first gig was a role in a major network animated series. That had clout, and helped me secure my first agent, who happened to be the top vo agent in LA.

A Union card is just one step in the equation that sets you apart from others. There are many of these steps in an actor's career that gets one noticed or more desirable over another:
- Training with impressive acting coaches or a grad from a prestigious acting school like Juliard or Yale Drama School
- a Union card
- an A list agent
- an Emmy, Oscar, or Tony nomination....or win!

Each layer or step separates you from your peers with lesser accomplishments.

Vo is a very different animal. It can be pursued on a different level. This is the big difference today. And because we are now in our second decade of online vo, talent has spread outside the major markets. The lines that separated the talented professional from the wannabe are getting more blurred. Buyers and talent have conditioned each other very successfully.

But the bottom line remains the same. Recieving Union benefits from vo work is better than not receiving em. What needs to be accomplished is a way for actors to receive Union benefits while being able to retain their career and repeat buyers. And, we need to create a business model where the hiring of Union talent is as easy and fast as it is to hire non Union. A working non Union vo actor needs to be heard and feel inclusive, rather than the bastard child. The union needs to face and accept the realities of the vo industry technologically today. They need to really understand that the major markets are not the only game in town. When they were, the majority of the work was Union. Today, technology has allowed for major corporations to reach out to talented non Union actors in a country where half the states are right to work.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot (at this juncture) picture the Union Suits taking time to examine the labor laws that require all parties to view each VO gig as an episode of employment.

This is the crux of the matter, as far as I can see. All this shit is a matter of course in the Shining-City world of signatory agents., but I'd wager that the "powers that be" don't even know these laws exist.
The Union Mounted Heads need to understand the US Labor Laws that define union rules in order for there to be honest discourse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: