VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SAG-AFTRA? What do I do?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They've just not talked to the right people, in my opinion.

todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For some, $30 grand is a good living. For others, vo is supplemental to their career and day job, which provides pensions and health benefits.

it goes back to asking the questions ... the union must think that non-union or "pre-union" (i still think that term is hilarious) VO folk are looking for pennies in parking lots. it's insulting. (not projecting this on bob) i CAN'T be the only one between the atlantic & the pacific supporting my family, saving money for retirement & buying health insurance as a non-union voice actor?!?!? it's a very elitist attitude and it pisses me off. i work hard - and though there are lean years - by & large make damn good money. connie is right referring to the "old business model". it just doesn't work today.

we're willing to talk - i just don't think they are willing to listen.

Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(sigh) I hear ya, Todd! Oh, man, you should see the emails I've sent, trying to convince the powers that be what it's really like out there. Again, they just don't get it!

For several years I'd been the chair of the vo committee at the union. My main goal has been to address this whole issue. I wanted to create a nationwide summit, where everyone, from union to fi core, actors who work off the card, agents and casting directors, could all dialogue about the realities of the industry. Without judgement or consequences. When it comes to vo, the union needs to reach out to those working and pursuing technologically outside the backyard of the union.

As I was getting this ball rolling, merger took precedent. So I had to put it all on the back burner. At the time I was also a board member.

After merger, we had much work that needed to be done union wide. So a year after merger, I was rolling up my sleeves and ready to go! But alas, I was not named chair of the vo committee. Though, I was asked to be on the committee. OK, I'll take my case to her.

The new chair wanted none of this. She loudly announced to the committee that this vo committee would only tackle issues where there was data based facts to go off of. I tried to explain that no one keeps records at the union on non union work. I tried to explain that make more good money in non union vo. That after 15 years of conditioning, both the talent and the buyers have created a better business model. Gone are the benefits, but in exchange for a faster and easier way to conduct business without the red tape of the union.

I was told this is all anecdotal opinions of my own, and with nothing concrete to back it up, she forbid the committee to tackle this.

So, I resigned from the committee. I can tackle anything I want as a concerned member.

Cut to this new "best in the biz" initiative. When I first got wind of it, I popped a note to a board member who is behind the launch of this. I told him that for this to be successful, there needs to be incentives. Actors around the country need incentives to even join, as they may see 10 plus non union auditions a day but perhaps 3 union auditions a month. They'd be closing the door on existing and returning clients by going 100% union. Their agents get more non union audition and work than union. And the union would have to create a model for the buyers that is as easy and fast to book union talent as it is to book non union talent.

This did not go over well.

So, I'm reaching out to you, the working vo talent. They ain't gonna listen to me. They might listen to you.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks bob --- we are not hard to find.

Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try again to get on the board of the New England Local this year.

It's hard because 95% the people who would vote for me don't live in New England.

Your story about that dame at the helm of union VO makes me wish we could figure out a way to make our own union, and kiss the suits good-bye.

Not sure I'm ready to tackle that. Not yet. I need more lawyers.
juliaknippen
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw myself into the ring as another "pre-member" who is on track to be in the top 5% of earners this year. This is my first year as a full-time freelance VO. I quit my day job in January, and my sole source of income now is non-union VO work. And I live in NYC. I have 3 non-union agents that send me out on auditions at the big casting houses in the city, I record and produce audiobooks via ACX (both stipend and royalty share), and I have returning and new clients who have found me online or through word of mouth who come to me directly. I do commercial TV and radio, corporate industrials, online video and radio (all at competitive union-scale rates), and audiobooks.

I did a job in January on a SAG-AFTRA waiver, and at the end of February, I got my letter telling me that I now qualify for membership. But if I were to join the union, my income would immediately drop to $0. Mainly because I haven't been able to secure union representation in NYC, where it is impossible to audition for union work without a union agent. Do they really expect me to join the union and stop doing VO until I can convince someone that they need me on their roster? I'm already doing work that I love and getting paid a living wage that affords me residency in one of the bright, shiny cities.

I'll continue seeking union representation, but until I get it, there is no way for me to even begin competing in that market. So joining the union at this point would be career suicide.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do they really expect me to join the union and stop doing VO until I can convince someone that they need me on their roster?

Yes.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a union guy living in LA, but I don't have big representation or residuals (aside from some audiobook royalties). Since all of my Union work is converted, obviously, I could be a non-union performer. Hell, I could get the healthcare and pension without joining if I wanted. I just like being part of the club out here. And I manage to do that on a solid 6 figure income feeding a family of four.

That said, I don't think we need incentives for performers to join the union. We need incentives for the CLIENTS to hire union talent. I see more and more BIG Fortune 500 companies sending non-union auditions through agencies. Why is that? Because they are learning they can get union-caliber performance at non-union prices. The idea that only Union performers can give good performances is a ridiculous notion. Give the clients good, economic reasons to hire union talent and the performers will join to get access to those jobs.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a good idea in theory, jeff, but that would require that the suits admit we exist.

ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to "like" Jeffrey's remarks.

I went fi-core because there were ZERO AFTRA contacts in San Diego at the time. If I had had people to work for, I might have made a different decision. And then the Internet happened....

(We just had a station re-organize, but only one station...the PBS station.)
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
The new chair wanted none of this. She loudly announced to the committee that this vo committee would only tackle issues where there was data based facts to go off of. I tried to explain that no one keeps records at the union on non union work. I tried to explain that make more good money in non union vo. That after 15 years of conditioning, both the talent and the buyers have created a better business model. Gone are the benefits, but in exchange for a faster and easier way to conduct business without the red tape of the union.

I was told this is all anecdotal opinions of my own, and with nothing concrete to back it up, she forbid the committee to tackle this.

Bob,

It is this exact "head in the sand" attitude that is the reason SAG-AFTRA continues to lose in the VO game. I was financial core for over a decade, but since the merger have chosen to remain a full union member. My income is now half of what it was before the merger, but I press on because, well, I guess I'm just stubborn. I really want to make this work. Oh, and if I didn't use Falcon Paymasters to convert work, my income would be less than 10% of what it was before the merger.

"Best in the Biz"? When making a claim these days, it's pretty important to be able to back that claim up with actual facts. It's way too easy to find the truth with a simple search of the Internet. So, the cold hard facts of the case are that the "best in the biz" in VO are actually, in many cases, either non-union or FiCore.

I attended a SAG-AFTRA workshop here in flyover country earlier this week that was titled "The State of the Business." No surprise, no one was there to talk about voiceover work. It was all about how to get state legislatures to pass more tax incentives to get more feature film work. I was the only on there who even mentioned VO work.

One of my agents was there to offer his perspective to the group. After the meeting ended I had a chat with hiim and together we realized that he had FAR more non-union non-broadcast work and auditions he could send me (that we can convert using a paymaster) than he did actual union work and/or auditions. That's the real state of affairs at present. No matter what people sitting in ivory towers in LA think.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

((((HUGS, Bob Souer!!))))

Everyone here is adding such valuable info and experiences. I'm still waiting for that union contact email but when I get it, I urge you all to make your voices heard. They need to hear messages like the one Bob posted, that his income is down since NOT reinstating his fi core status.

I'll share a situation that happened to me. I might have shared it on VO-BB before. Hallmark wanted to hire me to voice Porky Pig for a talking Christmas ornament some time ago. They were willing to pay me my day rate, but refused to go through the union. They just had bad experiences with unreturned phone calls, and miles of paperwork. And, after many years of finding sufficient non union talent, they just didn't want to deal with the union runaround.

I told them I could not do this non union. Too high profile. I said I'd be happy to take care of the administrative stuff, deal with the union, sigs and paymasters, etc. But they still said no.

I went to the powers that be at the union and asked how was THIS protection? The answer I got was, I have to honor global rule one, and it was no longer true that actors and buyers get the runaround at the union. (sigh)

Six months later, Hallmark came back to me and agreed to do the job union.....for scale. Scale is less than 20% of my day rate, which they'd previously agreed on. I lost out on literally thousands of dollars by being a good, loyal union boy.

I shared this story with the current chair of the vo committee as well as the committee. The chair basically told me that she was sorry my career was such that I would have to consider working non union. She understands things get tight. But from where she stands, and her experience is, very little of the vo work is non union. Very little money is being made non union. And she appreciates that I held tight and refused to do this job non union. But she wished me luck in my career and hoped things got better.

Aaaaaaand, that's when I resigned from the committee.
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that is a very very disheartening story...
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
.... her experience is, very little of the vo work is non union. Very little money is being made non union.

Whaaaaat? Just take a look at any of the P2Ps. Dozens of jobs every day that go to non-union folks. 2 jobs today that were in the thousands of dollars.

75% of the auditions I get from Stars in San Francisco via Nancy Wolfson are non-union. And we're talking big names like LG. Netgear, Alaska Airlines, Genentech, Oracle, Kool-Aid, TIVO, NutriBullet, Corona, Nest, Starbucks, Mastercard, Verizon, Coldwell Banker, etc etc etc.

THESE are the companies that the Union needs to be advertising to. Not the lowly little talent who's trying to squeak by in LA while holding down a barista job. "No, you MAY NOT audition for these! Now where's my soy latte?"
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disheartening isn't even close. see my note to jeff above --- they don't even acknowledge our (non-union talent) existence ---

---

i have typed & deleted a whole bunch here. i'm going to have to be done with this thread. it's making my stomach hurt.

that is a sad, sad story bob.

both bobs, actually.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: