VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SAG-AFTRA? What do I do?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was Melissa, not me, but she's right unless you are intent on splitting hairs.

With a union VO job you become an employee for that episode of work. It doesn't matter what you call yourself outside of that single instance.

The notion of IC & labor law is not a hurdle anyone needs to jump in this biz. Being a Sole Proprietor simply requires you to say that's what you are.

If you want to keep more of your money with self-negotiated union work, you can become an LLC or S-Corp which requires a report to the state once a year.

And Bob Bergen is right about some of the union perks. The medical insurance is mighty fine. I'd wager that's what makes most of us work so hard to meet the financial requirements of membership, and spend our own money to make the work fit the pretzel of union-covered work.
And residuals are fab on broadcast work, no doubt about it. But those are a tiny bit of the equation for most of the VO's I know. They're more like a party favor than a way to keep oil in the furnace.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry DB.

Melissa I still have a bone to pick, but will not air the issue online. I have just been to an IRS court to prove Independent Contractor status. I won, they lost - this time.

You cannot be hired as an employee and work the same job as an independent contractor -- period. You can be an employee and work a second position as an IC however.

FF
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, alas poor Rena!

She could not have possibly known that asking this is far worse than opening a can of worms.

No, no..this is more akin to being in the old Abbott & Costello vaudeville sketch and saying Niagara Falls !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr6VBg1SiYI

S-l-o-w-l-y I turned!!
Rena
Lovely and Talented

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry, guys!

http://www.twoviewsbeyond.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Can-of-Worms-by-Jason-Crislip-jpeg1.jpg

I will say, even though I seem to have awakened an argument, each response has been helpful to me. It is good for me to see both sides of the issue. No matter what I choose, ethics are important to me.
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB said
Quote:
Being a union member in Los Angeles is meaningless unless you have a mind-blowingly fabulous agent

The high profile work comes through the top agents in NYC and LA. If that's the work you're aiming for those are the agents you need. You can't book an audition if you can't get the audition.

Everything Philip said is true.

Frank said
Quote:
And DB, I have to disagree with you.
Quote:
Deirdre wrote: "If you're working as an independent contractor you become an employee and..."

That was me. And yes, I stand by it. It has nothing to do with the IRS checklist of how to determine someone is really an IC or is an employee. It has more to do with anti-trust law. Without getting into details price fixing is illegal. So how is scale possible? Unions have an exemption from the law since their purpose is to protect employees from unfair business practices (and NOT to provide a benefit for other – including our - businesses,). So all union members must be considered employees of the signatory and therefore can benefit from the exclusion unions have from the law.

The distinction I was making before was between getting paid as an independent contractor (freelance) or as a vendor (LLC or Corp. ) we are all one or the other , or sometimes both as in the case of a sole proprietor LLC. But when we work a union contract or we convert non-union work to union we all, in effect, become employees. IF we have an FSO (LLC or Corp.) we can work under that as a vendor and then the sig doesn’t have to have to pay the payroll taxes on our behalf (which come out of the total amount the client pays). If we work as an independent contractor (under our own names) we become an employee of the sig and have to kick in the payroll taxes.
Rena
Lovely and Talented

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am loving all the sharing of personal experiences. You all make good arguments. Is it wrong for me to say that I still have no idea what I am going to do??? Uncertain
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Just don't jump into union membership too quickly. Remember Icarus.
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Join when you have to join. You'll know when that time comes. Make sure you tell everyone - agents, casting directors etc. you're eligible and are able join immediately. Meanwhile, with your VO career start getting used to charging rates that will allow you to convert your work in the future - when you DO join.
Rena
Lovely and Talented

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

melissa eX wrote:
Yes.

Join when you have to join. You'll know when that time comes.

melissa eX and Deirdre,

One of my major concerns is that I won't be able to get quality acting (film/tv) gigs without being union in LA.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't get those gigs without experience, either.
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't even get to sniff those gigs without experience. The gatekeepers will stop you, throw you back to jail, and not let you collect money. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just know that the agents and buyers are only impressed with impressive experience.

Bottom line is, you need to decide if you want a career as an actor or if you just want to work. If you want a career, it takes training, timing, knowing the players, strategy. Yes, you need to be Union. But you need to be ready. You need to study. Do theater. You need to know everyone and everyone needs to know you. You have to have something to offer. You need to be hungry. You need to want it more and do more than everyone else. You need to love the art and the work of acting, not the work acting gets you. You need day and night jobs. You need to embrace the power and leverage of the word "no." It won't be overnight. And the moment you feel like you've made it, that's when the hardest work begins. Never coast. Never stop studyng. Broadway actors are in voice and dance classes during the day so they are always prepared for that evening's show. My friend Lily Tomlin and her co star Jane Fonda work with acting coaches while shooting their new TV series. All working actors study. Never feel you are above study. And never go into this for the money. You will never feel like a success because it will never feel like enough. The thrill you get when your acting is honest and authentic trumps any feeling you get with a big paycheck. And if it doesn't, do something else. Something easier. Something else that fulfills you more than just acting. Not being paid to act. But the acting itself.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven’t read every word of every reply, so if I’m bringing up the obvious, or if things have changed, shoot me.

When I enquired, I couldn’t join the union if I wanted to. I had to wait until I booked a union job. Then when I did, I Taft-Hartley’d. After I booked a second one I was forced to join if I wanted to do the gig. But just ‘wanting’ to, from what I know, kind of makes the question superfluous. Has this been not been discussed or am I going to get shot?

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it hasn't and it's a very god point.

I have done many (US) Union jobs and I can't join for obvious reasons. When a company wants to use me they simply use me even though every other person involved is on Union terms including the free Tolpuddle Martyr tri-corner hat.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
If you want a career, it takes training, timing, knowing the players, strategy. Yes, you need to be Union. But you need to be ready. You need to study. Do theater. You need to know everyone and everyone needs to know you. You have to have something to offer. You need to be hungry. You need to want it more and do more than everyone else. You need to love the art and the work of acting, not the work acting gets you. You need day and night jobs. You need to embrace the power and leverage of the word "no."

Everything Bob has said here, as well as in the rest of his post. And on top of that, you still also need luck.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: