VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What kind of signal chains are in use?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: What kind of signal chains are in use? Reply with quote

Just curious to find out what people are using for their primary and secondary signal chains in their studios.
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of signal chains are in use? Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Just curious to find out what people are using for their primary and secondary signal chains in their studios.

U87 - Earthworks LAB 102 - RNC 1773 compressor - Apogee MiniMe - MOTU 2408/24i - MAC running DP4.

I have a bunch of other mics that I use when I need a different sound, but the Neumann is the primary. I sometimes skip the apogee as it can be a little too revealing for some recordings.

Which of us are you by the way? I guess you forgot to log in.

Cheers.

Mike.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE20-Symetrix 528 Processor-Mackie 1208 mixer-Mbox-Mac G4 Powerbook.

Gets a mighty clear sound.
billelder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre, we have the same chain except mine goes into a PC and not a Mac. The difference is I have to stop productivity to reboot. <g>
Edo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For voice-over recordings:

Neumann M 147 - Focusrite ISA 430II Producer Pack -

Rode NT-V (tube) TLAudio 5051 Ivory Series II - Yellowtec VIP1 -

Rode NT-2 (condenser) TLAudio 5051 Ivory Series II - Yellowtec VIP1 -

All combinations are feeding to a Mac G5/ Pro Tools HD on OS-X Panther

I also use the Neumann setup for recording singers for the radio-ID's, jingles and full-sing commercials. Lots of times I prefer the TLA over the Focusrite.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: A Question about voice processors. Reply with quote

What exactly do they do? (please don't tell me they process the voice Confused )

Do they clean up your voice? Make it a more crisp recording? All of the above?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And do you have to own one for a home studio?
billelder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you don't have to have one in your studio, but i can help your finished product. Also, you'll get many different answers as to how to use them as the proper settings. You are very correct in that different "boxes" do everything that you mentioned.

I look at them this way. If you have a decent set of ears or have an audio engineer available to you, they're a good thing.
Edo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: A Question about voice processors. Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
What exactly do they do? (please don't tell me they process the voice Confused ) Do they clean up your voice? Make it a more crisp recording? All of the above? Thanks

Well... they proce... (oops, sorry 'bout that!) :P

It all comes down to a matter of taste. Also what I like is the fact that digital recording still can have some of the analog warmth we were used to when we were still in the analog domain. As Bill mentioned, a good set of ears is evenly important. I mainly use my preamps for making a distinct and unique sound that brings a particular voice to life. I like that true, warm open sound that still sounds very close to you. It's all very personal, and anyone's opinion is as good as mine. Sometimes, a little more punch and crispness can be added. I just like the combinations, but I have varied over the years to be honest.
craigieb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm decidedly low-tech:

Sennheiser 421 MKII

dBx 286a

Mackie 1202

SoundMax Sound Card (came with my Dell)

P4 PC 2gHz running Cool Edit Pro

I've resisted getting anything "high-tech" when it comes to sound cards. I send stuff to studios all over the country, and never once has anyone questioned my quality, so I guess for me it isn't necessary.

I use the dBx primarily to add a bit of texture to my low end, but I don't step on the audio much. I do generally add compression inside Cool Edit just to smooth everything out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: I'm Baaaack! Reply with quote

Sennheiser 416P48 - Millennia STT1 - ProTools Digi002 ch. 1

Lawson L47MP MarkII - Millennia STT1 - ProTools Digi002 ch. 2

Rode NTK - FMR RNP/RNC - ProTools Digi002 ch. 3/4

Rode NTK - FMR RNP/RNC - ProTools Digi002 ch. 5/6 (Rack Bag)

I use the Millennia's because you can select tube/valve or solid state. The compressor selection is also tube/valve or solid state and you can always select if you want the transformer in or out of the chain. I have it setup for my voice and just ask the producer if they want a Senny 416 or the Lawson L47. If they can not decide, I use the Lawson.

I recently added four additional channels to my studio's setup. I do imaging for a DC radio station and wanted to find an inexpensive setup I could duplicate without really going into my studio budget. My goal was to keep one unit racked in my studio and an identical unit racked in a rack bag (seen here) so I could record at home or on the road and retain the same general sonic characteristics. The solution for me, after doing a lot of listening, was an FMR Audio RNP/RNC combo (seen here). It sounded great, received excellent reviews and the price for two channels of balanced Class A pre and compression was under $700. It was $200 more than I wanted to pay, but I'm very satisfied.

Kevin

(Deirdre, thanks for the updated board, this I'll use!)
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm Baaaack! Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
The solution for me, after doing a lot of listening, was an FMR Audio RNP/RNC combo (seen here). It sounded great, received excellent reviews and the price for two channels of balanced Class A pre and compression was under $700. It was $200 more than I wanted to pay, but I'm very satisfied.

Hi Keith.

I'm wondering if you record in "super nice" mode on the RNC or does it depend in the material?

Cheers.

Mike.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: RNC Super Nice or Normal Mode Reply with quote

Mike,

I generally have three starting points for compression that I use which are based off the material. These starting points were all carried over from the defaults I use with the Millennia STT-1 and adjusted for both modes on the RNC. I found my preference was using Super Nice Mode on intimate and standard reads where mic placement was generally 4" off-axis. On the remaining reads I use Normal Mode. Another exception is the mic - I am currently working on a historical project for an NFL team (voice of doom style - "From the left outside, from the right outside, from up the middle they come all with blood in their eyes, get the man"). I tried to recreate a similar environment for the recordings based on the NFL Films television programs I grew up with - the mic is placed out (12") and above (6") the VO talent desk, the gain up high. The RNC is set to Super Nice Mode for those reads.

Kevin

Note: ... and with a touch of that free iZotope Vinyl plugin, it's amazing!
Micazon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: signal chain Reply with quote

DB and Bill,

Why do you go into the Mackie mixer first instead of going directly into the Mbox? Thanks.

Micazon
billelder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Micazon,

I don't have an MBox because I use my computer sound card. MBox is USB, isn't it? It does sound like a nice setup.

After playing around I changed my configuration a bit. I go directly from my Mic to the Symetrix straight to the sound card. It gives a really nice clean sound. Very transparent. At the moment, I'm using my mixer for monitoring only.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: